Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though we use a trickle charger on the 2005, every spring, it’s the same thing- battery has gone bad & needs to be replaced- not an easy task for two old senior citizens. Would appreciate any tips you might have, that would end this problem. We are in Illinois, so it does get cold in the garage. The SSR gets stored in Oct- Nov until spring.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
You might consider making sure it is fully charged and then disconnecting it. I do not have a logical reason that it would be bad with a trickle on it. Are you sure the trickle charger is working? I assume that you are not having to pay for the new one.

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,402 Posts
Here is what I do on my 2005. I don't drive it a lot so when ever I am not driving it, it is plugged into a Deltran Battery Tender Plus. They cost about $30. Do not use a trickle charger as it can over charge and ruin the battery. A Battery Tender shuts itself off when the Battery is fully charged and goes into float mode. If the Battery goes down for any reason it comes back on and recycles but does not overcharge. Battery has been in mine since 2014 and always fully charged and ready to go. If you need a new battery I recommend Interstate from an Interstate dealer. After researching they seem to be the best and the shop will take out the old and install the new one free of charge. The SSR has about 5 computers in it and other things that draw current so if you don't drive it for a week or two the battery is dead. Good luck.

Click on here:

·
Slingshot Rules!
75,513 Posts

I agree with Auggie on this one, Andez.

The first battery "pooped out" after about 2.5 years so I added a Deltrans Battery Tender Plus with regular plug-ins. Since then my batteries have been averaging more than 7 years.

I consider the Battery Tender Plus to be more of an investment than an expense.

GOOD LUCK.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is what I do on my 2005. I don't drive it a lot so when ever I am not driving it, it is plugged into a Deltran Battery Tender Plus. They cost about $30. Do not use a trickle charger as it can over charge and ruin the battery. A Battery Tender shuts itself off when the Battery is fully charged and goes into float mode. If the Battery goes down for any reason it comes back on and recycles but does not overcharge. Battery has been in mine since 2014 and always fully charged and ready to go. If you need a new battery I recommend Interstate from an Interstate dealer. After researching they seem to be the best and the shop will take out the old and install the new one free of charge. The SSR has about 5 computers in it and other things that draw current so if you don't drive it for a week or two the battery is dead. Good luck.

Click on here:
Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. I will check out the Deltran you mentioned.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,564 Posts

Click on here:
===============

What Auggie said. I agree 100%

The Deltran unit is a battery MAINTAINER. Big difference from a charger.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,381 Posts
Even though we use a trickle charger on the 2005, every spring, it’s the same thing- battery has gone bad & needs to be replaced- not an easy task for two old senior citizens. Would appreciate any tips you might have, that would end this problem. We are in Illinois, so it does get cold in the garage. The SSR gets stored in Oct- Nov until spring.
If you buy your battery from Walmart they would replace it for free at one year!

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,637 Posts
Bought a Costco interstate Group 78, 10-11-20. $89.99 ---36 Month FREE replacement. Had to spread Mike's box just a little to get it in but NO cutting. Old one was 6..5 YEARS old--with Battery tenders.

Nick

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. I will check out the Deltran you mentioned.
I agree. I misread or just thought it was a battery tender not trickle charger. I use the Deltran on my LiPO4 batteries for trolling motors. They are an excellent product.

I usually don't on the R as I have never had a problem. I did replace my OEM battery after 10 years and unless I leave something on, I have not had any problems. It would appear you must have a draw somewhere though.

Dave

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I just changed out a battery on a 2003 that was in place for 10 years. It was still holding a charge, but had very little reserve left.....
It had a Deltrans Battery Tender on it everyone of those 10 years from October to May. :giggle:

·
Super Moderator
14,055 Posts
I agree with Dave
Something is drawing on your battery full time, not just in dormant months
Finding what it is can be a problem, but possibly Auto Prof can help you with

·
Slingshot Rules!
75,513 Posts

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,071 Posts
I agree with Dave
Something is drawing on your battery full time, not just in dormant months
Finding what it is can be a problem, but possibly Auto Prof can help you with
Here is a video i use in class and then go out into lab to demonstrate. The voltage drop across the fuse method works.

When i first purchased my SSR I stored at the same location i currently use and the second winter i stored it i had recently replaced battery and did not disconnect it. They don't allow chargers or tenders. I returned 4 months later an car cranked slow but fired. I know not good for alternator or battery, but i forgot to disconnect battery, since then i have a quick disconnect at negative bsttery cable for just this reason. Also its a good antitheft if worried on a road trip in hotel parking lot. Admittedly ive never felt the need, but its good to know i could.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts