Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From those painters out ther. Last week, while parked in the service drive at work, somone keyed the passenger door of the SS. After calming down, getting a police report, having a few beers, (after the police report):nono , I took the truck to my local paint shop for an estimate. They tell me that because of the location on the door, they have to "blend" the paint down half of the rear body area, all the way over the rear fender. This means removing the rock guard, and having to restrip the entire righr side of the truck. Does this sound right to you? I need two thing, your advise on how to take care of the paint issue, and the phone number for Guido and Bruno to take care of the person I think keyed the truck:mad
Mike:cool
Semper Fi

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Paint

That sounds like the shop actually knows what they are doing. So many shops would just paint the door and you would have a two-tone truck (not the desireable version..). I would ask to look at some of their work and get some references. You could also check the BBB (www.bbb.org).
Can't help with your Italian friends.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Right idea

hdflstf said:
That sounds like the shop actually knows what they are doing. So many shops would just paint the door and you would have a two-tone truck (not the desireable version..). I would ask to look at some of their work and get some references. You could also check the BBB (www.bbb.org).
Can't help with your Italian friends.

Its the best thing to do.......and BTW I have some crooked nosed friends who would be glad to take this person:leaving ??? on a concrete water ski party:smash :glol :glol " Jimmy Two Toes "would be glad ta do duh job....and Louie the Rat, wants in on dis to......Ya see I got dis friend in Miami....named Jimmy B and he operates outa ah phone booth.......and he nose dez guys.....da do good work........

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
It can be very hard to match todays paints. Have the shop remove the gas door and send it along to the paint shop mixing the paint. This will assure you of the closest paint match possible. Then tell the shop to try and feather in the repair on the door without spraying the rear fender. Have them call you in to look at it and see what you think. If its still not right then have them do the larger repair as needed. Im a firm believer in less is best.

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,370 Posts
If the scratch is in the rear half of the door, blending the quarter behind the door will indeed probably be necessary to insure an acceptable color match. The red basecoat will be "blended" into the exisitng paint on the quarter, but the entire panel will be clear-coated. The fact that you did not mention blending forward into the fender leads me to believe that the scratch is in the rear half of the door and the shop feels they have enough room to "blend within" the door panel going forward.

As far as the fuel door goes, nearly all shops now have the capabilities to mix and tint their own paint. The paint will be "matched" to the exact panel involved, but this does not mean that blending is not necessary for an acceptable match.

Blast

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,201 Posts
Need more info...

SOME PICS AS TO THE LOACTION OF THE SCRATCH WOULD HELP.

Depending on the location and size of the scratch, and the color of the vehicle, it may be possible to repair it without going into the quater panel.

Is the depth of the scratch down into the primer?

Did it crease the metal when they keyed it?

Some shops tell you they need to do more than they really need to just to aquire more $$$ from you or the insurance company.

It's a good idea to check references, and even with your insurance company about the shop to see if they always do what they say they will or of they cut corners from time to time to make a few bucks for them.

Some times less paint work is better for both parties, if it can be done properly.

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU IN SOME WAY.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scratch...

The scratch is located in the passenger door, is approximately 8 inches from the rear door edge, and is about 12-14 inches in length. The color is red, and the scratch is white in color, (so I'm assuming it is into the primer).
Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ouch

It really sounds like the body shop wants to do it ight. You can see from my gallery the only right way is to remove the rock gaurds and paint everything near the damage. plus the repair should exceed your deductable so let them do it right!! and let the insurance pick up the bill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I feel your pain

Mine was keyed at the mall back in December, but I have no idea who did it. If I did they would need a police report!!! :reddevil
They did have to paint the quarter panel to blend the paint, but it's good as new now. Some people just don't want others to have nice things.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

If the scratch is white it might just be in the clear. Wet your finger and rub the scratch if it disappears you might be able to buff it out. Or just reclear the door only.

·
Registered
893 Posts
My thinking.......

REBEL said:
If the scratch is white it might just be in the clear. Wet your finger and rub the scratch if it disappears you might be able to buff it out. Or just reclear the door only.
Mine was keyed while yet on the dealer showroom floor.....they tried to cover with wax.........as of this date there still not sure what they want to do about it......some dealer aye.......:smash :smash I will rub it out myself.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Watch Six said:
From those painters out ther. Last week, while parked in the service drive at work, somone keyed the passenger door of the SS. After calming down, getting a police report, having a few beers, (after the police report):nono , I took the truck to my local paint shop for an estimate. They tell me that because of the location on the door, they have to "blend" the paint down half of the rear body area, all the way over the rear fender. This means removing the rock guard, and having to restrip the entire righr side of the truck. Does this sound right to you? I need two thing, your advise on how to take care of the paint issue, and the phone number for Guido and Bruno to take care of the person I think keyed the truck:mad
Semper Fi
No problem it will match and look like it did, I don't know why people do that, I was at the base and came back out and some one keyed my new jeep GC all the way from one side to the other but back to the SSR I had a DA back into the front of mine and they did the same thing they are talking doing to yours and mine looks like it was never hit
Semper Fi
Go Army

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had to have my 1994 teal Camaro fixed like this. Thought they were trying to take me with the "blending" line... Turned out they did a fantastic job and the repair area was indistinguishable from the original. As previously stated, I would be wary of someone that would want to fix only the door.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
A good shop should have no problem feathering in a non metallic red hue. I would say dont go for a massive re spray but just a spay of the general area of the scratch. A good body shop can even use an air brush to fix such scratches.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
If you care to visit So Cal I can point you to a shop that specializes in that type of work in Costa Mesa. A few people have seen my other car with the 12 year old paint job we did at a testimonal to the type of work he does.

Either way, hope you get fixed and on the road soon.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I've had to have the rear bumper fasica replaced. They come unpainted. I can't tell any difference. This was on a red SSR that was less than a year old.

I've had work done on older cars too. One trick is to have the rest of the car polished out making it look like the newly painted section.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts