Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· BAD BOW TIE
12,172 Posts
Couple things to check. Don't know how much knowledge you have so here goes.
1. There are 6 or more grounds on the vehicle and they give people fits.
2. This happened to me. Came into garage and turned it off then wanted to check something and it would not start. Checked everything and finally noticed the gear shift was not up into park far enough. So ran shifter back and forth and pushed all the way into park and it started right up. There is a neutral safety switch and it will only start in park. Also could be shift cable as mentioned before and trans is not all the way in park.
3.If you are checking fuses some folks don't know there are two major fuse boxes. One under the hood and one behind the passengers seat.
4. There are about five onboerd computers and they all have to be functioning and talking to each other to work.
5. Several folks had similar problems and it was a thin copper wire melted in the fuse box. Very hard to see. Several folks have provided a repair kit.
6. Last advice. When I bought my new battery I went to the battery store and asked for their best Yellow Top or Red Top battery and the owner said he would sell me one but they had recently changed manufacturing techniques and he was having a lot of trouble with them coming back so I got the best Interstate they made instead. Could be you got a bad or low new battery. SSR's are very finicky about having a full charge of about 15 amps to start.

If you check some of these things out hope it helps. Otherwise contact Ed Dicktator in Florida. He knows how to fix most anything. Good luck.

Let us know what fixes it. Thanks.

· BAD BOW TIE
12,172 Posts
Ok which engineer decided to place the starter motor in a location that is completely inaccessible unless you're midget with triple jointed arms? You got to be kidding me! I've got the R up on a floor jack, crawled under that beast that wants to crush the life out of me, and I can barely put a screw driver up against her to "tap tap tap". Me thinks she's gonna have to wait for the spring thaw my dears. This is getting to be over my head. Anyone wanna buy an SSR? Sigh.

When you were under there did you check if the wires on the starter were tight???

· BAD BOW TIE
12,172 Posts
Not sure what I am talking about here but a few months back someone posted a similar thing. They said there are two relays in the box and from all looking they looked good. Swapped them around and theirs started right up so that proved the one was bad and they replaced it. No more problems. Might try that. I will try to find that post. Good luck.

Reactions: DOOPHUS
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.