Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 with about 30000 miles on her. When I bought it a year ago it had a slight vibration in the rear at 65-70 mph, Took it to have tires bal.They said it had a slight bent rim. Well after buying it I didn't have the money to buy a new rim and I don't drive that fast very often. Now I can afford to get a rim. So I thought I would jack it up to check it out. The one they said was bent has what I would call a slight flat spot in the rim. So while I had it up I looked at the other rim and it has a slight wiggle in the rim in one spot Both tires run true though. Is it normal for rims to not be perfect?

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
You can have the rims 'trued' Just Google truing/straightening a wheel in your area.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
While the rims may not be perfect they should not have flat spots or wiggle in them. They should be round and straight. Check with your local car dealers and see who they use they probably have someone who offers wheel service and may even be able to come to you. My 04 had a bent wheel when I got it and the dealer had a company come to the dealer ship and repair it for them. No more vibration. Are they chrome or satin wheels?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
While the rims may not be perfect they should not have flat spots or wiggle in them. They should be round and straight. Check with your local car dealers and see who they use they probably have someone who offers wheel service and may even be able to come to you. My 04 had a bent wheel when I got it and the dealer had a company come to the dealer ship and repair it for them. No more vibration. Are they chrome or satin wheels?
:rolleyes:

Maybe we're talking about a major "ding" versus a minor "ding". One of the Billet wheels on my '39 street rod got "dinged" at some point. There was never a "glitch" nor problem in handling or whatever as a result. It was merely a "cosmetic" flaw if someone really paid attention.

None.........zero/zip/nada...........as to adding or effecting vibration;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chrome

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
:rolleyes:

Maybe we're talking about a major "ding" versus a minor "ding". One of the Billet wheels on my '39 street rod got "dinged" at some point. There was never a "glitch" nor problem in handling or whatever as a result. It was merely a "cosmetic" flaw if someone really paid attention.

None.........zero/zip/nada...........as to adding or effecting vibration;)
You are correct a minor ding in a lip is not going to hurt but if it has a flat spot in the outer rim or wiggle in the outer edges then I would have it looked at. Something like hitting a curb hard enough to put a flat spot in the rim could cause a vibration in the wheel. Plus an impact that hard make cause damage to the tire as well.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Chrome wheels can be more difficult to repair due to concern of the chrome being damaged but I would still check with a wheel repair shop or a car dealer and see what they can offer.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,855 Posts
I have had wheels repaired for the exact same problem. When you jack up the truck you can put a stationary object near the edge of the rim and then spin the tire and see how much up and down or in and out the wheel has. I use a few pieces of wood and lay a pencil on the top. Do the check for outer and inner wheel areas. Any deformation will cause high speed shimmy.

As mentioned from previous posts, there are mobile services, brick and mortars that can do the work, painted or chrome, does not matter. Actually chrome is probably easier since they use heat to form the metal back in place. Hubcap and Wheel here in Macon GA charges about $50 per wheel for the repairs, or at least they did last time I visited them.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I just had my fronts fixed before the Branson rally. Both had about a 2" flat spot on the inside. Cost $250.00. Much better. Said I must of hit a RR crossing pretty hard. I don't do that,but it's what he told me.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
One of my front satin rims has a flat spot on the inside from hitting a 4x4 at 60mph. I get a slight vibration over 60mph. I was quoted a range of $100 to $250 to repair it. I bought another wheel at Branson to replace it and when I get it swapped I'll get the old one repaired and keep for an emergency. The wheel shop said it may straighten easily on their machine but sometimes requires heating and sometimes they may have a slight fracture that gets worse when straightening and may need to be welded and repainted. Thus the range in the pricing. I have used this local shop before to repair and Enkei Rim that was no longer in production.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I just had my fronts fixed before the Branson rally. Both had about a 2" flat spot on the inside. Cost $250.00. Much better. Said I must of hit a RR crossing pretty hard. I don't do that,but it's what he told me.

:mad:
You could have had it happen lots of different places. Our journey to and from Branson took in 9-10 different states and nearly 3400 miles. I can say with authority that our Interstate System is really in need of a lot of repair work. I hit some very rough spots in several different states. These big rigs, are beating the pavement badly and it's not clear much of it will get repaired anytime soon:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts