Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bugged about what the purpose of the verticle oriented sleeve piece on the forward driver's side of the console is for. It looks like the same piece that is on the passenger side for the accessory cup holder but is oriented to receive what ever is meant to slide into it from above and not from a horizontal direction as for the accessory cup holder mounting bracket on the passenger side. Do any of you have this on your '05s? It seems to be molded into the plastic flashing that is on the driver's side of the console. I have the accessory gauge package...could the side panel be put back together incorrectly after installing the gauges? It only appears to be able to fit the way it is in place now. The bracket can not be moved without breaking some plastic piece. It is not mentioned at all in the owner's manual. Is there an accessory sun glass case that is to slide in there? Cleavermodels

·
Registered
541 Posts
No '05 here, but...

...my guess is it is for the slip in (accessory) cup holder. On the '03 and '04, the cup holder can go on either side of the console. If they changed the cup holder for '05, you could maybe get an '03/'04 cup holder and have one on each side.

Does it look like this on the right side of the picture?

Diggs

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diggs,
Yes, absolutely! That is the bracket in question. So if I want a cup holder there I need to get one for an '03 or '04? My wife always insists on plenty of cup holders when we travel for her and my water bottles. The small dash one won't work but the accessory one will. I don't want to be juggling mine in the console storage area. So that is why I'm trying to make use of this bracket. Thank you. Cleavermodels

·
Registered
322 Posts
Maybe a cell phone? Some cell phone cases have the waistclip with the same slide mechanism clip release. I'll try mine in the morning. I was curious as well, and this thread made me question it again :) That actually would work quite well for my phone if it works!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I have never put my cup holder on the drivers side because it bangs the daylights out of my knee. The clip on the drivers side is useless to me, unless I had some skinny device to hook up there. :jester

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cupholders Galore!

cleavermodels said:
Diggs,
Yes, absolutely! That is the bracket in question. So if I want a cup holder there I need to get one for an '03 or '04? My wife always insists on plenty of cup holders when we travel for her and my water bottles. The small dash one won't work but the accessory one will. I don't want to be juggling mine in the console storage area. So that is why I'm trying to make use of this bracket. Thank you. Cleavermodels
Cleaver,

I bought a second cupholder for just this reason. As others have said, this sin't ideal, but when you have two drinks bigger than the dash holder will handle...what else are you gonna do? I set a drink between my legs once or twice and decided to drop by the parts department. It is not in my way and I don't bump it with my knee too often, but it must be removed before I run the seat forward to avoid breakage. Generally, mine is in the console except when I am using it. I tried storing them in the door pocket, but they make noise every time you close the door.

Having said all this, it sounds like your situation is different. I have an '03. They must have changed the drivers' side of the console for '05 and I think your door pocket might be different, too (to give more room for adjusting the seat with the door closed). Maybe a different cupholder is (or will be) available for '05 driver's side. I wonder why they didn't redesign the passenger's side. It had the same problem.

Hmmm.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My '05 has the same thing. It is for a cup holder that holds items of a larger diameter than the dash cup holder. The cup holder is removable and can be placed on either side of the center console. Two problems with it: 1. If you move the seat forward you will 'rip' the whole thing off the console leaving a hot glue mark in the console (which I obviously did within 24 hours of having taken possession) and 2. On the driver's side it will hit you knees. The overall strategy on the SSR is to not plan on storing anything in the cab. In addition to the cup holder destruction, I destroyed my umbralla behind the driver's seat the first time I lowered the hardtop. I now have one of those useless compact models on the floor behind the driver's seat. Discovering that the owner's manual won't fit in the glove box, I now know the purpose of the truck bed.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,777 Posts
Posted from another thread....

AAhhh...that cup holder thingeeeee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That large cup holder thing on the passenger side is an issue. Some how, somewhere along the way, the two tabs supporting the cupholder were broken. One completely off, the other half broken but, still attached. I believe it was done at the car wash when they moved the seat forward during cleaning, to vacuum the carpets.

Anyway when I took it to the dealer for the 15,000 maintenance check I told him about it, and he said "Well that is a warranty item, we'll order you a new one." They did, but the wrong item came in so it is now on reorder. Not received was the complete right side console panel which the tabs are mounted on.

I find it disconserting a vehicle of this caliber is saddled with a chincy plastic support piece which is not durable enough for some amount of "banging around". Maybe its just me.

Peace

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To my surprise when I explained the cup holder concern on my '05 to my dealer this am he was familiar with the situation. He said that the '05 cupholder was redsigned to only fit the passenger side. He called me back later to say that there is a cup holder with a separate part number and pictured to fit only the '05 driver's side and is available. He ordered one for me today. Regarding the owner's manual fitting in the glove box...I managed to fit mine in by sliding it past the clasp mechanism on the door and then moving it straight up so that it is verticle against the back of the glove box. This is with the roof tool even stored in the velcro fastened owners manual envelope. Thanks for your support! Cleavermodels

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,777 Posts
Just back from the dealer for the replacement of the passenger side cup holder bracket. Tore the console apart to replace the vertical panel which the brackets are mounted. The total charge, which is covered by warranty, was $153. and change. That includes a new cupholder as well. FWIW... the panel number is #010377546. cupholder is #015138062 :)

I checked the '05 models on the floor of the dealership for cupholder mounts. The four he had ALL had the same brackets on each side of the console, same as my '04. :confused

Peace

·
Registered
322 Posts
Cell Phone Theory?

believe it or not, thought I was way off, but the cell phone does actually slid rite in! The belt clip on the leather case, slides in vertically, holding the phone in place!! Used it for the last week - works great! Very convenient as well.

May not work for all owners, but some clips may. As goofy as it sounded, it worked! Just another option !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts