Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how the '05 SSR will compare in performance to, say, a camero z28 or a mustang GT? I know that the curb weight of the SSR is VERY heavy, so how will it do against those type of performance cars? Will the 390 hp engine be enough to beat a 300 hp '05 GT? Any answers will be greatly appreciated!
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How is anyone supposed to know this yet? New mustangs GT's are just barely getting out there as it is. Besides as you say the weight of the SSR will likely hamper it in such a "race". The SSR is not really an intended performance car, if you want one to beat up on camaros or mustangs you should get either one of those or another car that doesnt have the weight of the SSR.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you speak so harshly towards my question?? I asked what people thought WILL (meaning in the future) happen in regards to performance of the SSR. I know that you all know a lot of info about the SSR, so thats why I am coming to you for performance questions, because you all have actually driven them. Any more comments on the performance of the '05 SSR would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
06 SSR Performance

mathLSU said:
Why do you speak so harshly towards my question?? I asked what people thought WILL (meaning in the future) happen in regards to performance of the SSR. I know that you all know a lot of info about the SSR, so thats why I am coming to you for performance questions, because you all have actually driven them. Any more comments on the performance of the '05 SSR would be appreciated.
Well the information I read about the 06 SSR with the LS6 engine is that it should perform around 5.1 seconds 0-60. Seems to me that should put it in the Stang/Maro categories.... Of course that performance data is as a stock engine... Slap a supercharger on it and you'd be looking at 500 hp + and that would eat Mustangs and Camaro's.....

Rainwater

Other Rides

04 Sling Shot
2002 Audi A8L
2000 Supercharged Suburban
2000 New Beetle
1938 Ford Pickup Street Rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
ron dickson

factory figures for the 05 ssr say 0-60 in 5.49 seconds. i'm not knocking those but many times it is very hard to duplicate what ever conditions the factory obtains these performance figures from and i think its safe to say sometimes its difficult to match these numbers out here in real life. if your goal is to beat these mustangs you should expect to beef up the entire driveline and you will need about 450hp+ at the rear wheels. this number is obtainable, i know i have done it but you have to deicated and its costly. p.s. the above factory performance rating is with the auto trans.
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
Math LSU don't get to discouraged with a member who has only 6 posts since Jan. :) Long term members will at least give you an opinion that will reflect some knowledge on cars in general. Welcome to our group.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Rainwater said:
Well the information I read about the 06 SSR with the LS6 engine is that it should perform around 5.1 seconds 0-60. Seems to me that should put it in the Stang/Maro categories.... Of course that performance data is as a stock engine... Slap a supercharger on it and you'd be looking at 500 hp + and that would eat Mustangs and Camaro's.....

Rainwater

Are you sure you are thinking about the LS6…. Believe that is the old Z06 engine (5.7L 385 hp @ 6,000 rpm, and torque of 385 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm) and it is my understanding is that this engine is "done" for RPA applications.

The current SSR is built with the LS2 (6.0L 400 hp @ 6,000 rpm and 400 lb.-ft. of torque at 4400 rpm)…. Where did you see the LS6 engine in the 06 SSr?

Current auto trans SSr (05-LS2) does 0-60mph in 5.49 seconds, as noted above. :seeya
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ron dickson said:
factory figures for the 05 ssr say 0-60 in 5.49 seconds. i'm not knocking those but many times it is very hard to duplicate what ever conditions the factory obtains these performance figures from and i think its safe to say sometimes its difficult to match these numbers out here in real life. if your goal is to beat these mustangs you should expect to beef up the entire driveline and you will need about 450hp+ at the rear wheels. this number is obtainable, i know i have done it but you have to deicated and its costly. p.s. the above factory performance rating is with the auto trans.

Well do you all know of any factory or dealer add-ons that would increase the HP but not eliminate the warrantee? Also, I believe that the 2000-2003 GT's run about a 5.5 second 0-60 if I'm not mistaken, so it seems like the SSR does have some performance as well as the great look. PS. Wildcat, thanks for your kind words. I am glad to be apart of this board. :seeya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
Charger

MathLSU,

I just talked with my dealer about installing a Super Charger and he informed me that they could install it, but it would basically wipe out any warranty claims from the engine block down to the rear tires. :mad
Since I purchased the 100,000 mile warranty, it doesn't look like I will be adding a super charger at this time. :mad

Maybe I could spend the money elsewhere, like for food :lol :lol

If anyone finds out something different please let me know....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,494 Posts
Supercharger

looking4_an_ssr said:
MathLSU,

I just talked with my dealer about installing a Super Charger and he informed me that they could install it, but it would basically wipe out any warranty claims from the engine block down to the rear tires. :mad
Since I purchased the 100,000 mile warranty, it doesn't look like I will be adding a super charger at this time. :mad

Maybe I could spend the money elsewhere, like for food :lol :lol

If anyone finds out something different please let me know....
From what i understand that if you have a problem and have a supercharger on your truck the dealer has to prove that the problem was created by the superchager otherwise they have to honor the warranty. I sell Magncharger and they offer a 3 year or 36,000 mile warranty for a small fee that covers the engine & trans. I personally would much rather take my chances and have a supercharger than sitting around wishing i had one. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
QWKSSR said:
From what i understand that if you have a problem and have a supercharger on your truck the dealer has to prove that the problem was created by the superchager otherwise they have to honor the warranty. I sell Magncharger and they offer a 3 year or 36,000 mile warranty for a small fee that covers the engine & trans. I personally would much rather take my chances and have a supercharger than sitting around wishing i had one. LOL
I met a GM mechanic at a car show and he informed me that he personally installed six superchargers at the dealership and they do not violate the warranty. I would be real carefull, I also have the extended warrenty, but have no plans to modify anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
SSRGUY said:
Rainwater said:
Well the information I read about the 06 SSR with the LS6 engine is that it should perform around 5.1 seconds 0-60. Seems to me that should put it in the Stang/Maro categories.... Of course that performance data is as a stock engine... Slap a supercharger on it and you'd be looking at 500 hp + and that would eat Mustangs and Camaro's.....

Rainwater

Are you sure you are thinking about the LS6…. Believe that is the old Z06 engine (5.7L 385 hp @ 6,000 rpm, and torque of 385 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm) and it is my understanding is that this engine is "done" for RPA applications.

The current SSR is built with the LS2 (6.0L 400 hp @ 6,000 rpm and 400 lb.-ft. of torque at 4400 rpm)…. Where did you see the LS6 engine in the 06 SSr?

Current auto trans SSr (05-LS2) does 0-60mph in 5.49 seconds, as noted above. :seeya
You are right, the 05 does have the LS2 engine...... Just a typo..... Also I did read that the 05 with the 6 speed will clock 5.1 0-60.... 5.49 with the Autotrans.

Should be some new idea's at SEMA next month......

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
math LSU

Wait for the 6-speed trans and you should be able to hang with the ponies.

I'm an old tiger by the way. Graduated Baton Rouge, then New orleans. Welcome to SSR Fanatic. If you get one, regardless of the 0-60 time, you'll love it.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SSRedRod said:
Wait for the 6-speed trans and you should be able to hang with the ponies.

I'm an old tiger by the way. Graduated Baton Rouge, then New orleans. Welcome to SSR Fanatic. If you get one, regardless of the 0-60 time, you'll love it.

Wow! I am glad that I am adding to the Tiger alums on this board! Never thought I would find a fellow alum on here. Geaux Tigers!

Regarding the 6-speed, has anyone taken it for a test drive yet? I was wondering how rough the cluch is, or if it pretty smooth.....

PS. What is SEMA??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
SEMA is the Specialty Equipment Market Association. They host a large dealer show every year in Vegas where companies can show off all their new aftermarket parts and equipment. You also see a lot of customs built just for the show in order to showcase a manufacture’s new products.



http://www.sema.org
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
SEMA is on Nov 2 - 5. Expected attendance at 100,000. 2 million sq ft of display, approximately 35 miles of aisles if you walk it all - great place to go if you need excercise, or like looking at incredible vehicles.

I'll post photos of the SSRs I see at the show. GM has supplied 5 SSRs to specific aftermarket companies to modify, and at least 5 others will be there with various suppliers - looking forward to it.

Taking the SSR on a long road trip - too bad I'll miss SoCal in early December. We're taking in the Grand Canyon Train trip on Sunday, then to Phoenix - expect to be driving through Palm Springs about Nov 10th, then onto LA and San Francisco on the way back. Would have loved to take in a run on the way.

Ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
New Engine

I can probably understand why folks want "power" or more "ponies" under the hood, but this doesn't necessarily relate to speed. I don't think you will ever overcome the enormous weight of the SSR. Speed has more to do with weight and air flow dynamics than just engine power.

I own a Viper and a C5 Corvette. I love my SSR, but it's a boulevard cruiser and not a "racer". If you want speed and something that can hang with the big dogs, get a Vette or Viper and save your money on trying to make the SSR what it isn't.

Just my two cents. Have fun with your SSR and drive Save. Tx. Regards, Carnut
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
219 Posts
Ray's trip

Sounds like you'll have a great trip. I also plan to visit SEMA. On your trip a. great ride would be from grand canyon to sedona via oak creak canyon then cottonwood to jerome to prescott to wickenburg to L.A. (unless you have someone to visit in Phoenix. (I grew up in AZ)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
Thanks - I'll check out that route.

My part of the trip is SEMA - my wife's is Celine Dion and "O" in Vegas, and seeing Taliesin West in Scottsdale. We're building a new house next year, and she's a Frank Lloyd Wright fan - saw his house and office in Chicago a couple of years ago on another road trip.

She loves cruising in the SSR, so we all win on this one.

Ray
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
219 Posts
Frank Lloyd Wright

I graduated from ASU and there are few building I recall which was designed by Mr. Wright. The loop around Phoenix is completed from what I hear so It's now easier and faster to go to Scottsdale from north Phoenix.

You are welcome to visit me while passing Palm Springs and soak in my hot natural mineral springs.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top