Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Why is the gear ratio terrible? I thought a 3.73 rear would be assume!!!

· Registered
421 Posts
3.73 is a good overall gear ratio for city and highway. If you want to blaze a quarter mile, then get a 4.11 rearend. But then you will redline at 110 m.p.h. on the highway.

· Registered
98 Posts
Gears

My SRT-10 has the same problem. It (2004) came with 4:11 gears and many have complained about the first gear drivability around town. Dodge is correcting this on the 05' with 4:56 gears. The driveability is greatly improved and with 5th & 6th being overdrive's (same trany as new SSR) Top speed cruising is not affected.Mofo

· Premium Member
2004 custom Paint and trim , ROTM winner #2, Previous owned R’s, 2006 #1 of 8 2 tone & 2005 silver
3,058 Posts
6 Speed

I drove a new 2005 aqua blur 6 speed yesterday (10 miles on it) from my local dealer. I did like the quicker acceleration in the lower gears but for me to much shifting,. I guess if I were 20 years younger and had a lot of testerone to disperse it would be fun but I like not having to shift all the time in traffic and don't miss the jerking between shifts. As far as gearing goes I allways tend to believe that the makers allways go one step higher with gears then what would be perfect just for the gas milage. :thumbs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.