Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local dealers near me have the '04 SSR's for about $30,500. MSRP is basically 44k.
Looked at some of the threads here and since this group is crazy/amazing for the amount of information, I know someone will be able to help.

Is 30 1/2 the ballpark for the one with the 1SB package - (I don't see any reason to get the flashy wheels either.) I also don't want to try and afford the '05 6.0 buggy....30k is happy money, 40++k is not.

I have heard there are problems with the roof leaking but it is from 2 people who don't own one but knew someone with one. Does a automatic car wash create problems for the roofs?

Gas mileage for the 'average' guy (not a leadfoot) - how is it REALLY running for MPG?

Just sold my 95 Vette on eBay (took 12 hours) and want to get in one of the SSRs, but if I know I can ask ?s first I guess I should.....

Speaking of the eBay, is that really the way to go? I see someone mentioned the MO guy but that is 10 hours away... :(

Please help SSR Gurus.....the one I want is the last one around here in its color and the ad hits our paper on Friday so my clock is ticking......

Thanks in advance.
Dave
:flag

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm still looking too, but I don't think you'll find any new 04's for much less than 30k. I'd say go for that one before someone else beats you to it. Dealers in my area haven't figured out what price it takes to move these yet. I just looked at & drove an 04 today. It has never been titled, but has 375 miles. The great deal they offered me was my 94 Z28 convertible PLUS 33k !!!!!! Needless to say, they still have the SSR.... I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to sell the Camaro and my 69 Vette privately, then buy an SSR outright. I'm a patient man, but I will have one in time to do some top down cruising before next fall. Anyone interested in a 94Z28 or 69 Vette?? Anyone, anyone at all ...... :cool

·
Registered
904 Posts
Well I have a 04 and that sounds about right for a 04, You might get one in the high 20's if you tried, The 04's here are $33,000 so I would think you could talk them down since the 04's are not the best sellers, Yes the roof leaks but mostly when you are washing it, Just a few drops in the rain, It comes in where the top breaks to go down on each side, Mileage, I put that down on another post but I get 20.9 at 80 mph, I was getting 26 mpg at 60 with a truck in front of me most the times, In town with your foot in it all the time the mileage is awful, A lot of times a guy saves some money only later to put more than he saved to get the 04 to run like a 05, If I had it to do over I would look for a 05 at the right price or wait till the 06's come out and check the new color and see the add ons, But I know I couldn't wait to get mine, It was love at first sight,

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm from Missouri and that price sounds great for around here. If the SSR is what you have your heart set on, buy it. Yeah you can wait longer and then 2006 comes around and you say oh look at that feature, no I'll wait for the price to go down. Then 2007 rolls around, & on & on.

Get the picture, if it's what you're looking for just buy it.

Have a friend who has a friend who knows a friend of a guy that has a leaking SSR roof? :lol

I have had mine through a high preasure car wash several times with no leaking roof. At times there are some SSR's that have had leaking seals around the windows, that's a painless fix though.

My gas mileage averages about 17 a gallon all around. If you don't see me in the left lane, then there must be a cop around. 50 miles a day on the highway and running with the traffic @75-80. :leaving

Ebay is a great place to shop, but when was the last time you took a test drive in an add.

If you buy it at another dealership away from you, how well is the service at the nearest shop going to be our are you going to drive back to were you bought it to service it?

Bottem line is, how bad do you want it, or do you really want it?

Spring is a couple of days away and the weather is getting warmer here in Missouri. Soon I'll have the top down and the breeze blowing in what little hair I have left, but I'll look :cool doing it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought an '04 SSR for about the same money after looking for about a month. Price won't get much better. I'd take it. As far as problems, I got a late run '04 and haven't had any leaks yet. Mileage is about 17 around town.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Roof leaks are not really much of an issue anymore. The real issue with a regular car wash is scraping the paint on the wheels which is not easy to fix. I would never go through a car wash that has the metal guide rails.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had no leaks with my '04, it was built in may '04, but i'm shore if you hit the gaskets with high pressure water (car wash) you could get a leak. I have gotten 20-21 on trips with cruise set on 72-75 so it does pretty good on gas, compared to my Tahoe. My advice is look for a late built 04 at that price were alot of early build problems were worked out and have fun. One thing I noticed about the '05 6.0 is it likes premium fuel and I'm sure that It will not get as good of milage so it will be a more costly veh to cruise in.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Late 04

Can you tell if it's a late 04 by the vin#? Just got my new 04 March 7. With vin# 4B110075 Is this early or late?
Thanks, Mason :)

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,655 Posts
Middle of May

Mason57 said:
Ca Just got my new 04 March 7. With vin# 4B110075 Is this early or late? Thanks, Mason :)
Your SSR was built in the middle of May 2004 approx. a week after mine was built. :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Car Washes?

I can't believe what I'm reading from you guys about automatic car washes! When I spend this kind of dough for a vehicle, it's not going anywhere near a car wash! Wash it at home! I know I'm anal, but my '03 with 4400+ miles on it has never even had a hose put to it. I just wet some soft towels, wipe it down, and dry it off with lint-free (even softer) towels. A Zaino touch up, and I'm good to go.

I realize some of you use your SSR for a daily driver, but even then, a hand wash is appropriate out of respect for the vehicle, if nothing else! :lol

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep, daily driver and when the temps are in the 30's, I'm not standing outside trying to wipe off road grime and salt with a wet towel.

That's like trying to wash an elephant with a Kleenex. :lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
HD-Fatboy,

I spent the first 25 years of my life in the crappy weather of Toledo, Ohio, and I understand fully what you mean. Washing the salt off my '69 Road Runner in mid-winter was no fun. I love your analogy with the elephant! :lol

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
I've found a volume car wash that is truly hand washing. They do a great job and baby all the vehicles that they do. Joined the "Mr. Bubbles" club and get a hand wash and hand dry for about $15 - come back in 4 days for any reason and it's free.

Peaches - the service you described cost extra in Singapore :lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marc -
Any idea when the one I just got was built?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts