Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Chevy SSR, Ultra Violet
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased a 2004 Ultra Violet SSR with a little over 19,000 miles on it.
Pretty slick ride, one question though. At low speeds ( parking lot ) steering effort seems pretty high, is that normal ?
We plan on driving it quite a bit, any recurring issues we need to watch for? I am putting new plugs , wires, filters, cooling sytem check. already changed oil.
Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Cliff and Mari-Lee

·
Premium Member
32,779 Posts
Welcome from Canada! 🍺 Congrats o your new SSR 👍 nice colour!
enjoy the permagrin!
You should check to see if shift cable repair has been done, nylon bushing breaks & falls apart, truck will not moved, there is a kit sold for about $20, easy fix.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,858 Posts
............. At low speeds ( parking lot ) steering effort seems pretty high, is that normal ?
Normal???? Yes...... GM changed the valving in the power steering during production a couple times. They were trying to find the best compromise between road feel, feedback and steering effort.

......... I am putting new plugs , wires, filters, cooling sytem check.
Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Cliff and Mari-Lee
1) I would pass on the plug and wire change. You don’t have enough miles to worry about them. A simple computer plug-in and check for misfires while running will tell you if all is good there.
2) GM changed the design on the thermostat in 2008, long after our trucks were on the road. I highly recommend installing a new GM thermostat. Purchase the AC Delco 131-156 thermostat (the 8 digit GM number is also on the box) and a new AC Delco RC-98 pressure cap. You should also get the AC Delco 131-169 seal for the thermostat. All 3 of these are available in lots of places online.
3) Check your tire date codes carefully. At 19,000 miles, it is possible that the original tires may still be on the truck. If they are more than 6 years old, change them. I had a local friend get a blowout on the freeway this week..... he still had the original tires on his.... He was just coming over to pick up a part from me...... with only 8,000 miles on his SSR.
4) Have your brake fluid flushed and replaced. Be sure they operate the anti-lock brake system while doing it. Brake fluid is recommended to be changed every few years to keep moisture out. Also have your brake calipers checked for proper operation. A stuck caliper (from moisture in the system) is no fun.
5) When operating your SSR in stop-and-go traffic, be sure that you have the A/C turned ON. This will cause the cooling fan to run in order to keep airflow across the condenser. As a result, it will keep your temperature gauge rock solid at 200-205. If the A/C is turned off, the cooling fan will not come on until 226. It’s not a bad thing, but worrying about engine temp is a distraction you don’t need. The cooling fan is turned off at 35mph by the computer because there is enough natural airflow to keep the engine and A/C happy.

Welcome to the family. Enjoy your SSR....

Mike

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
4,154 Posts
CCRider. Welcome from north central Indiana. Check out the thread about the Ohio chapter Meet and Greet this Saturday. You are welcome to meet several other fanatics down at southwest Columbus

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Normal???? Yes...... GM changed the valving in the power steering during production a couple times. They were trying to find the best compromise between road feel, feedback and steering effort.

1) I would pass on the plug and wire change. You don’t have enough miles to worry about them. A simple computer plug-in and check for misfires while running will tell you if all is good there.
2) GM changed the design on the thermostat in 2008, long after our trucks were on the road. I highly recommend installing a new GM thermostat. Purchase the AC Delco 131-156 thermostat (the 8 digit GM number is also on the box) and a new AC Delco RC-98 pressure cap. You should also get the AC Delco 131-169 seal for the thermostat. All 3 of these are available in lots of places online.
3) Check your tire date codes carefully. At 19,000 miles, it is possible that the original tires may still be on the truck. If they are more than 6 years old, change them. I had a local friend get a blowout on the freeway this week..... he still had the original tires on his.... He was just coming over to pick up a part from me...... with only 8,000 miles on his SSR.
4) Have your brake fluid flushed and replaced. Be sure they operate the anti-lock brake system while doing it. Brake fluid is recommended to be changed every few years to keep moisture out. Also have your brake calipers checked for proper operation. A stuck caliper (from moisture in the system) is no fun.
5) When operating your SSR in stop-and-go traffic, be sure that you have the A/C turned ON. This will cause the cooling fan to run in order to keep airflow across the condenser. As a result, it will keep your temperature gauge rock solid at 200-205. If the A/C is turned off, the cooling fan will not come on until 226. It’s not a bad thing, but worrying about engine temp is a distraction you don’t need. The cooling fan is turned off at 35mph by the computer because there is enough natural airflow to keep the engine and A/C happy.

Mike
Great advice Mike👍

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,193 Posts
Welcome to the family. Please make yourself at home.
The Ohio get together has been mentioned by a few above. Here is a link to help you find your way.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,348 Posts

Mike
Excellent Mike!

I changed plugs & wires at 120,000 injectors where still good.

Here is some reading for you: SSR How to Library: 100 p/p FREE!

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Welcome.

You can find several items that you should check on with this site.

You have a heavier vehicle with large tires so it does feel more clued to the pavement than many cars and then the design of the valving.

Dave

·
Registered
2003 Chevy SSR, Ultra Violet
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Mike
Thanks for the info. Wires are pretty dried out looking, SSR spent 3 years in Arizona. Original tires gone, the replacements still have nubs on them.
Cliff

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Also another link that might be of interest @HUAW has made arrangements for another round of shirts to be ordered. See this link. Last post from huaw

·
Premium Member
2005 aqua blurr
1,123 Posts
Welcome from fountain Colorado . Purchased mine with 14000 on it , tires looked great until you get up real close sidewalls totally Dry rotted. So look at tires closely.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts