Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to the forum. Looking to buy a SSR. What should I be looking for ? Areas to look at , recalls done, etc.
Thanks
Kevin

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,318 Posts
Good morning and hellooooo from Cincinnati! The biggest difference is the motor. 03/04 has 5.3L with auto trans and the 05/06 has the 6.0 with six speed manual option. Beyond that their are just some option differences like extra gauge cluster, carpet in the bed and chrome options. No real recalls but they're are some things that needed upgrades that smart people here have created fixes for like a better fan, abs heat shield, auto shift linkage repair kit, metal radiator support and few others. Find one you want to check out and a local fanatic would be happy to check it out for you. That's just the kind of people we are.... You'll see! Oh and every truck comes with a permagrin included at no extra charge!

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
It depends on how much you want to spend and what you are going to use it for. Show car or highway cruiser or even daily driver. Two or three pedal driving. Various colors and trim. There is a wide range available and with it the price range. They look basically the same.

I prefer a 6 speed, so that means a '05-'06. You can purchase a '03-'04 less expensive or fewer miles for the same. The '03-'04 have adequate power and are a "more basic" vehicle with simpler electronics in some ways. The '05-'06 have more power and some upgrades in the interior and systems.

This is an excellent place to view member's having ones for sale. Many already have the upgrades you should do and have a history you can track.

I see from you picture that you already know about beautiful black convertibles.

Dave

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Firetruck gave you great advise.

The engine choice makes a difference for some. Bigger is better. I considered engine/price and settled on a '04 5.3 Vortec. The red Roadster gets around just fine. Plenty of power for my driving style. The Roadsters that have factory 6.0s are more expensive to purchase. Now if horsepower is important - go with a '05/'06. Power adders like a supercharger will cost more than going with a 6.0.

Second is transmission preference. If you've gotta have a manual, look for '05/'06. The stock autos supplied are matched well to the engines.

Next is color. Some of the colors were only available with specific year models. Later models were available in two-tone variations.

Know our Roadsters are beasts (heavy). Chevrolet designers sourced parts and pieces from existing platforms. The frame and drive train is borrowed from the then current Trailblazer.

Use the search feature above to research your questions.

There are many upgrades available and recommended. Browsing the for sale section descriptions will identify them. For a couple instances: Shift linkage inches away from the catalytic converter and a radiator fan from of all places - Volkswagen!

Our discussions here often ask "What were they thinking" about build choices for our roadsters. They surely had budget constraints but... you gotta admit they produced and awesome machine.

Do not be alarmed about the many discussions about maintence and repair. The vast majority of our Roasters hold up well and perform great with needed oil changes and such.

One more thought: Some search for ultra low mileage with the thought it must be pristine. Not always the case. Automobiles purchased as an art object can deteriorate from lack of use. Our Roadsters, in the opinion of some, need to be regularly exercised to keep the parts and pieces limber and functioning.

Good luck with your search. Take your time and test drive a few. Ask specific questions. Being a member here will get you helpful instructions and sometimes grumpy answers. We are like family, after all.
Best!
Boomer Bob

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,903 Posts
There are several Yellow ones on this site for sale right now. In my mind these are the fastest, prettiest, and most desired. Just kidding.

Couple of tips.
1. These vehicles are 15 or so years old so they may have some hic-ups.
2. The tires might look brand new because of little driving but are shot due to age. Dates on the tires can be checked. Tire store say 6 or 7 years old need replaced no matter what the tread looks like. These vehicles can go 130 MPH plus so you don't want unsafe tires. (About $1000 to $1500 with road force balance and alignment.)
3. As mentioned before there are a few things to upgrade and buying one off this site from a previous owner those things may have already been done. Most owners here take meticulous care of their ride.
4. Make sure the top goes up and down properly and no leaks in the hydraulic cylinders. Can be fixed but takes time and money.
5. These vehicles when built with smog restrictions and had to be all 50 states compliant so they are way de-tuned. A shop with a good lap top tuner and a few add ons can pick up about 40 to 50 horsepower for you and gobs of low end torque and firmer shifting.

There is a guy called Honda convert in Illinois that recently bought a red one and he did a lot of looking and checking before buying. Might reach out to him for advice or help. If all else fails check out Freeway Hyundai in Houston as they are the SSR Gurus and usually have 10 or 15 in stock at all times. That is where I got mine in 2014. Happy hunting and a big hearty welcome from Sturgis South Dakota.

Reactions: Lethal Tendencies

·
Spirited driver!
1,416 Posts
There are several Fanatics not too far from you and most would be happy to help or even go look at a truck with with you to give you and idea of what to look for. All you have to is ask.

I would definitely drive a 03/04 & 05/06 before buying either. If you have an affinity for things that go fast, you will probably want the 05/06. Typically costs $5-8k more but it was worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,230 Posts
@Lethal Tendencies, Now that you got some answers-----Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, when you get it, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR, again, when you get it, in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.
Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Did you see this one 2006 Slingshot Yellow SSR**6 speed**Final Production... it was posted by @Higvetssr

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
993 Posts
live in northern Illinois, thank you for any condolences, mostly vette guy. Have HHR SS as a daily driver. Looking for a red ,yellow, or silver SSR. Mostly weekend cruiser
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice above. You’ll find more than a few of us own a vette and an R. Very different experience. R owners are the best.

Have scroll through this thread, and you’ll see more than a few examples.

Since I bought my first R, I barely drive my vette...

Regarding what to look for? One that you like, drives well and looks good, and the top works. We’ve been smoothing out the kinks in the R for years and we’ll help you work through them.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Welcome Lethal! From North Carolina.
You got a pile of advice from a bunch of knowledgeable SSR folks here. I've only been an owner for 1.5 years but added to all the replies above I would look for an R with a trailer hitch included in the sale, Maybe soft saddlebags in the carpeted bed, and maybe the windscreen behind the seats. Reason I say this is some people remove these items before a sale and they are costly to buy after. The trailer hitch for example cost me $320 after I bought the R. SO just something to keep in mind and ask the seller if some of this stuff comes with. The hitch by the way is no longer available new, its unique to SSR and hard to find reasonable. BTW, It also requires a key to operate. Anyway Welcome aboard the SSR Fanatics caravan! Dave

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I have bought 3 of them. From what I have learned is pick your color and look at as many as you can to find what you want. If you find the perfect one in California don't be afraid to go get it. They are a pleasure to drive and a road trip to bring it home can be a great memory to start with.

If you want chrome look for one with it already, because some of it can be hard to find. Try to find a private owner so you can get the history of it.

If you want something you are going to put miles on don't get caught up in getting a low mileage truck and paying a premium for low mileage. There seem to be 3 mileage ranges. Low mileage less than 15,000 miles and many times these bring a premium. Then the less driven ones in the 30-60,000 mike range. These can be priced all over the board. And lastly the high mileage truck over 100,000 miles. These can be found cheaper in the low teens. The funny thing is if it was a 2004 or 5 Silverado with 100,000 miles it would be a low mileage truck.

Look at whats been done, if it has been kept up with things like cooling system hoses and other parts that will save you from doing all that. Some lower mileage trucks haven't had common stuff done that if now you want to drive it should be done. Using the cooling system for an example you can easily spend 300 just doing hoses and tune up on it. If it has a stock fan there is another 350. If it has been driven it may have that stuff already done.

Make sure the top works, check the stereo, and one other thing is if you can run it through a car wash and then check the floors to see if they are dry, check the roof compartment and the bed area. Chasing water leaks can be a challenge.

Most importantly if you have questions even if you think they might be silly or odd come here and ask. You have a ton of experience here and great people willing to help.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
It depends on how much you want to spend and what you are going to use it for. Show car or highway cruiser or even daily driver. Two or three pedal driving. Various colors and trim. There is a wide range available and with it the price range. They look basically the same.

I prefer a 6 speed, so that means a '05-'06. You can purchase a '03-'04 less expensive or fewer miles for the same. The '03-'04 have adequate power and are a "more basic" vehicle with simpler electronics in some ways. The '05-'06 have more power and some upgrades in the interior and systems.

This is an excellent place to view member's having ones for sale. Many already have the upgrades you should do and have a history you can track.

My 04 Slingshot Yellow seems as fast as my Redline Red 6.0 did, but ... I think my rear gears have changed out. At least I got a box of rear gears in an old card board box when I bought it. I know it's fast enough for my old 80 year old body and it burns Regular Gas !!! ALSO I know it is fast or Chevrolet wouldn't have named the color "Slingshot"

Dave
Good to excellent advice Dave. I've had both, the 6.0 and 5.3. My 04 Slingshot Yellow seems as fast as my 05 Redline Red did, but ... I think my Rear Gears have been changed out (by Tony Bonati) At least I have a box of Rear Gears in an old card board box out in the garage that came with the truck when I bought it. I know one thing it's fast enough for Ole Bobby Alexander and ... it burns Regular gas. Also I know its fast or C H E V R O L E T wouldn't have named the color "Slingshot" 10 uh C cozydog. :D :D :D :D :D🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
live in northern Illinois, thank you for any condolences, mostly vette guy. Have HHR SS as a daily driver. Looking for a red ,yellow, or silver SSR. Mostly weekend cruiser
Now "Lethal Tendencies" is that "Shycargo" as most Southerner's call it or Rockford, Moline, Freeport, "DeKab" Spring Valley, Galesburg, Kankakee, hell I even know where Hebron is (1952 Once They Were Giants). Grew up in Springfield, northern Illinois covers a lot of territory ... now live in Tennessee for the past 55 years. Come to the Mother Road Route 66 Festival September 25, 26 & 27th in Springfield, IF they don't cancel the damn thing !!! tennesseecozydog.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Good to excellent advice Dave. I've had both, the 6.0 and 5.3. My 04 Slingshot Yellow seems as fast as my 05 Redline Red did, but ... I think my Rear Gears have been changed out (by Tony Bonati) At least I have a box of Rear Gears in an old card board box out in the garage that came with the truck when I bought it. I know one thing it's fast enough for Ole Bobby Alexander and ... it burns Regular gas. Also I know its fast or C H E V R O L E T wouldn't have named the color "Slingshot" 10 uh C cozydog. :D :D :D :D :D🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲
Yes there are several things on the '03-'04 that are more practical. Driving down the highway at 75 mph probably is one. However, I love the LS2 and must have the 6 speed. Personally I do not care for the automatic they have. A newer trans would be quite acceptable with at least 6 gears and a paddle shift would be great. However I don't see that happening.

Dave

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Corvettes and SSR's make great drives. 2 whole different animals, both made for fun. Good luck in your search. I found a beautiful one on here.
fltsfshr

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
I have bought 3 of them. From what I have learned is pick your color and look at as many as you can to find what you want. If you find the perfect one in California don't be afraid to go get it. They are a pleasure to drive and a road trip to bring it home can be a great memory to start with.

If you want chrome look for one with it already, because some of it can be hard to find. Try to find a private owner so you can get the history of it.

If you want something you are going to put miles on don't get caught up in getting a low mileage truck and paying a premium for low mileage. There seem to be 3 mileage ranges. Low mileage less than 15,000 miles and many times these bring a premium. Then the less driven ones in the 30-60,000 mike range. These can be priced all over the board. And lastly the high mileage truck over 100,000 miles. These can be found cheaper in the low teens. The funny thing is if it was a 2004 or 5 Silverado with 100,000 miles it would be a low mileage truck.

Look at whats been done, if it has been kept up with things like cooling system hoses and other parts that will save you from doing all that. Some lower mileage trucks haven't had common stuff done that if now you want to drive it should be done. Using the cooling system for an example you can easily spend 300 just doing hoses and tune up on it. If it has a stock fan there is another 350. If it has been driven it may have that stuff already done.

Make sure the top works, check the stereo, and one other thing is if you can run it through a car wash and then check the floors to see if they are dry, check the roof compartment and the bed area. Chasing water leaks can be a challenge.

Most importantly if you have questions even if you think they might be silly or odd come here and ask. You have a ton of experience here and great people willing to help.
:rolleyes:

Wow.........Your reply here has made me stop and think about the (deal) I got when I bought mine two or three years ago.

If I knew how to research and make one of those "red" reference lines that allows you to go back to a specific post, I'd go back to the list of items that came with mine. It came with most all of Mikes stuff, stiffening plate, both new fans, radiator support, rear suspension addition. New stepper motors in the dash, all the new struts from Mike for the roof and other lids. I got the custom molded running boards and the ride was already lowered. He threw in all the promotional literature, both Shop Manuals, a car cover, the trailer hitch, an extra tire/wheel (chrome), etc. etc. etc.

It already had a "tune" from Joe out West, a $5000 new paint job..............and I could go into more. I've since sold over a $1000 worth of parts and still have the car cover that I don't even use, plus a few other goodies. Of course, I have a (like new) set of rear tail lites including the housings..............cause I now have the Cadillac inserts in mine.

Looking back, I have had zero problems with mine and for sure I made a good deal.:p

·
Premium Member
2006 Pac Blue 6-Speed
346 Posts
Hello Kevin, and welcome from Enola, PA! Take your time with the search for the right SSR, as the hunt is part of the fun. As others have suggested, trying an 03-04 and an 05-06 on the road is important to determine what feels best for your intended use. Don't worry about where the truck of your dreams is located, as getting it home can be a great experience too. Good luck on your search, and please keep us updated.

-John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now "Lethal Tendencies" is that "Shycargo" as most Southerner's call it or Rockford, Moline, Freeport, "DeKab" Spring Valley, Galesburg, Kankakee, hell I even know where Hebron is (1952 Once They Were Giants). Grew up in Springfield, northern Illinois covers a lot of territory ... now live in Tennessee for the past 55 years. Come to the Mother Road Route 66 Festival September 25, 26 & 27th in Springfield, IF they don't cancel the damn thing !!! tennesseecozydog.
I live in Hebron. Hard to believe anyone knows about our little town of 1200 people

So what’s up with the cooling fan ? Bad motor ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts