Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a call from Jeff, the parts mgr at my dealer. My driveshaft finally came in. I also told him to get me a rear main seal for the tranny...just in case. They've been having a lot of problems on the Blazers with the seals. TAking the driveshaft out tonight and bringing back the other one. I will install it tommorrow myself. Being I'm GM certified I'm able to do it myself, thank goodness. Hate bringing it into the shop. We'll see what kind of difference the new driveshaft makes. The new one has a weight added to it. Hopefully it will work.

Just out of nosyness :lol , all of you who have had the new driveshaft put in...how'd it work out for you? How many of you have actually had it done? I know three of my friends had it done, and said it was a great improvement.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
I'm on #3, the latest design. Have over 3000 miles on it and still no tink. Looks like the problem has been solved. :thumbs

·
Registered
590 Posts
dingbat said:
I'm on #3, the latest design. Have over 3000 miles on it and still no tink. Looks like the problem has been solved. :thumbs
:agree
Put 9000 kilometers on the latest design and no tink ! :cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
Gone for now!

Had mine replaced last week with the newest design and no tink, but I reserve my right to rebut if anything comes about. Good luck everyone. Maybe they have it solved. :seeya

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Funny thing:lol:lol After I parked Susie in the gargae and washed the Tahoe (one and half hours later) I leaned against the tail gate of the SSR and it TINKED!!!! Whats up with that??? It was saving it's one last Tink for later!!!

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
Gone ??? Ha ... Ha... Ha... !!!!!!!

Well my third one was put in and less than one week it was tinking very softly... Now... it is tinking louder than the driveshaft that I had removed :cuss ...
I even had to wait longer for this driveshaft because it was hard to locate!!!!
Well, the only thing I can hope for now, is the new exhaust system from Stainless
Works will be loud enough to drown out this annoying TINK!!!!!
So, as for the rest of you, don't think your problem is solved, just give it a little more time!!!!! TINK.... TINK... TINK ..... :banghead

·
Registered
132 Posts
driveshaft

I have noticed the tink for about last 1500 miles. Now have 6200 miles. Should there be an urgency for replacement?
thank you

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Saying that there is or isn't is a hard call. So far all the conversation has been related to the noise being abnormal to the point of comment.

If I recall correctly, JimG's tink lead to the unrelated discovery of a bad transmission seal and the cause for it going bad.

·
Registered
166 Posts
T I N K

It must be auto-suggestive.. on my 05 when I turned the beast off // lo and behold a TINK in the drive shaft area..like an electrical arc a snapping sound...taking it in THUR to dealer ( hmmm service bulletins ) going up to Door County over Labor Day ----One mile at a time.....read some more older threads possibly just a heat shield metal cooling sound on this one oh well once on the rack Ill be looking closely at everything...........

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
Jetcop20 said:
It must be auto-suggestive.. on my 05 when I turned the beast off // lo and behold a TINK in the drive shaft area..like an electrical arc a snapping sound...taking it in THUR to dealer ( hmmm service bulletins ) going up to Door County over Labor Day ----One mile at a time.....read some more older threads possibly just a heat shield metal cooling sound on this one oh well once on the rack Ill be looking closely at everything...........

The dreaded TINK we are talking about is heard mostly when you shift from neutral to reverse. I think what you are hearing is normal heat expansion/contraction from some of the metal under the SSR.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
All I can say is "Thank GOD" for selective hearing, because I have not heard this mysterious "TINK" you all are talking about. I have over 7,000 miles on mine, and I love it more each time I take 'er out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tink snap crackle pop

Well no noise when I shift back and forth from drive to reverse good enough / NO TINK ................

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Installation complete...seal was bad. I always figured it would be, because it was always damp around the tail shaft with such low mileage. It's quite an improvement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts