Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 06, I also purchased a 4 year 40,000 warranty. I used it once to replace the fuel sending unit from the gas tank. Local chevy dealer did the job and charged the warrantee company about $1200. Well recently I noticed a loud rod knock when shifting through the gears. Well lo and behold, with my warrantee still valid, I took it to the dealer I bought it from and end result, needed a new engine. They put a 2006 LS2 remanufactured engine in and I just got it back today. They couldn't reset the speedo so it still reads 121,624 plus whatever I put on today. I did a lot of research on the Reman engines, rebuilt engines and new engines and every comparison put the Remanufactured 1st or close 2nd with rebuilt coming in last. Hopefully it'll all work out. I now have an 06 with a new engine, 3 year and 100,000 mile full warrantee on the motor. What more could I ask for? Now on to front tires and probably a new battery. Cost of the new engine to me was $200.00 plus 7% Florida Sales Tax. So for $214 I'm not going to complain

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Sorry to hear about the engine going south, did the dealer say if they found anything wrong that could of caused the problem? Oil pump pick up tube maybe or low on oil? On the rebuilt engine did they replace it with another aluminum block version?

I am also glad I did my own fuel pump seeing they charged around $1200 for it at the dealer, I think I had less than $300 in doing it my self.

Now I hope this virus stuff gets over with so you can get out and enjoy your truck.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Don't know if you're an aggressive driver, but if so, you might consider adding an additional quart of oil. I did a thread recently discussing that option. Good luck with the new bullet!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about the engine going south, did the dealer say if they found anything wrong that could of caused the problem? Oil pump pick up tube maybe or low on oil? On the rebuilt engine did they replace it with another aluminum block version?

I am also glad I did my own fuel pump seeing they charged around $1200 for it at the dealer, I think I had less than $300 in doing it my self.

Now I hope this virus stuff gets over with so you can get out and enjoy your truck.
Couple of things wrong from what they said, the gasket on the pickup tube was rotted away and they think this was the main cause, just sucking too much air and the gasket on the intake manifold was half gone. I would think that the Oil problem was the culprit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couple of things wrong from what they said, the gasket on the pickup tube was rotted away and they think this was the main cause, just sucking too much air and the gasket on the intake manifold was half gone. I would think that the Oil problem was the culprit.
And the engine was the Aluminum block engine, the exact same engine that was in there. I made certain it was the High Performance block etc.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I had heard of this happening on other LS engines and it was in the back of my mind if it may have been what caused yours. I have two higher mileage trucks and keep thinking I may pull the pans and have this looked at before it happens to me on one of them. Thanks for the update.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts