Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed the K&N air charger in my 2004 SSR and now am ready to order new headers and exhaust. What combination is the best? I have been thinking to purchase the Dyno Headers, but am unsure as to which cat back exhaust system to pick up. Fellow fanatics please help.
:reddevil :reddevil :reddevil

·
Registered
321 Posts
Check the search mode for Headers and or Exhaust.... I have found a company that has headers for the SSR that will be CARB approved this year. "The Other Guys"....

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
try one of Jim G's exausting threads :rolleyes:
he has a nice setup & pics :thumbs
do a search using "MTI dual shotgun" :flag

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've got Dynatech headers with hi-flo cats with a Corsa cat-back on mine. I couldn't ask for more.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm happy to be in Florida where there is NO emmissions testing. Funny how all the best mod shops are in Cali - the state with the most mod restrictions.

·
Registered
321 Posts
That's not all thats is funny in Calif.!!!!! I too liked the dual system that Jim G. has but unfortunately it just won't work in the land of fruits and nutz.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey Beer100, have you had any experience with The Other Guys? I questioned them about whether their tubes are long or short but have not received a reply yet. Also asked them about coatings. They did tell me that they would have CARB approval with the, or a, year. That works fine for me cuz won't need to smog for a couple more years. I really want to do a true dual exhaust, with hi flow cats and dual mufflers... Got to get the right headers first....

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Rainwater said:
Hey Beer100, have you had any experience with The Other Guys? I questioned them about whether their tubes are long or short but have not received a reply yet. Also asked them about coatings. They did tell me that they would have CARB approval with the, or a, year. That works fine for me cuz won't need to smog for a couple more years. I really want to do a true dual exhaust, with hi flow cats and dual mufflers... Got to get the right headers first....
Forget about the idea of any cat being sold with both a CARB # and the designation "Hi Flow".

I did some browsing through CARB's database, read a number of the documents. Each and every doc, related to a replacment cat, had the requirement that the vendor NOT make any claim as to their cats being Hi Flow.

It seems that CARB is actively prohibiting the sale of any cat that could be thought of as being high flow.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Rainwater said:
None what so ever! It took me about 10min's to track down the actual URL for them. So I posted it that others need not look so long.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Russ,

Still trying to find out. All I know at this point is that they told me they have headers for the 04 SSR and will have CARB approval this year.... I am attempting to find out if they are short tube, medium or long and what coatings they have.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah Beer, if I can't go with high flow then I will just have to go with whatever GM provides. I presume if I split the exhaust via "The Other Guys" headers I should be able to use the stock cat on one side and purchase an acceptable approved cat for the other side. Then for mufflers? Calif. is certainly a pain in the A$$!

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
That is only one of the reasons that I don;t want to ever live in Calif. Also high fuel , shakey ground , high crime and all those fires :seeya Kay :ssr

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah the joke going around now is that Calif. has not changed much in 200 years. 200 years ago over half of the population spoke a foreign language, people were killing each other in the streets & the State was broke. The only real difference between then and now is that, "then the women had real breasts"!!!!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Try these sites also...

You might need to join to search

www.LS1tech.com

(covers a types of chevy, not just LS1)

You can also check out the corvette forum at the bottom of SSRfanatic. They have engine specific stuff but won't be able to help you with SSR specific routing, etc.

Rainwater, you gotta change your avatar broh'. I wince every time I see it. My wife is going to find be rocking myself under my desk. That had to hurt !

cya

VAQ

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Vaquero said:
Rainwater, you gotta change your avatar broh'. I wince every time I see it. My wife is going to find be rocking myself under my desk. That had to hurt !

cya

VAQ
:agree As a Slingshot owner, it "makes my eyes leak!" (Robin Williams, 1973)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah, I winced too when I got the estimate to repair. It is in the shop, the first fender that was shipped was crushed so they had to order another one. I will change my avitar once the work is completed and I can take a picture that will make me proud!!!!!!! GLAD YOU NOTICED though. I had just had it out of the shop 4 days having custom graphics painted when someone in the parking lot whacked me!!!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just ordered my Corsa cat back system as when I contacted MTI to see if they could ship me out a sytem like Jim G's I was told they are not producing them at this time and can only make them on a one at a time basis in their shop with vehicle present. :reddevil :reddevil :reddevil

1 - 20 of 24 Posts