Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying with a new front spoiler, here's the clay proto-type. I'm having it made from fiberglass so we can paint them any color. My truck is Lowered so it looks close to the ground, it's about 2" lowered.
I want to get some feedback from the members on it's looks and style before putting it into production. It's about 1/2" thick and allows the air to flow into the radiator better than the plexi peice that it replaced! bolts right on just like the replacement part.
I won't have a price yet but it shouldn't be too expensive!
Feedback please!

GR

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,107 Posts
GR -

I have a plastic shop that is now finishing a redesigned air dam for me. I'll have at least a dozen with me when I get to Laughlin. I have a pretty good chunk of change invested and will be happy to sell one to you. It conforms to the size limitations of the OEM unit and has a forward bent lip across the bottom and contours up to meet the front fascia.

I posted photos of the last prototype before Christmas and got feedback from a couple members that have taken me to the next level.

You can call me at home 480-706-0309 today and I'll be glad to discuss this further.

Mike

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
Glad to hear this project is still alive and well, Mike! I am looking forward to seeing one in Laughlin. :thumbs

Blast

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Looks like lower air dam is covered with products. I suggest someone work on air duct from under CHEVROLET badge on hood directly back to air box. To take cold air in and keep engine bay heat out of air box.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike in AZ said:
GR -

I have a plastic shop that is now finishing a redesigned air dam for me. I'll have at least a dozen with me when I get to Laughlin. I have a pretty good chunk of change invested and will be happy to sell one to you. It conforms to the size limitations of the OEM unit and has a forward bent lip across the bottom and contours up to meet the front fascia.

I posted photos of the last prototype before Christmas and got feedback from a couple members that have taken me to the next level.

You can call me at home 480-706-0309 today and I'll be glad to discuss this further.

Mike
got pic's??

GR

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cruzned said:
Ghost Rider, that baby looks like it is stickin its tongue out!:jester
It does! It'll look better when it's done in Black! But if I colored it, then it would just look like a black lip under there!

GR

·
Registered
893 Posts
Open to air box

REBEL said:
Looks like lower air dam is covered with products. I suggest someone work on air duct from under CHEVROLET badge on hood directly back to air box. To take cold air in and keep engine bay heat out of air box.
Thats what I doing.......:seeya Or at least working on.....

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,107 Posts
Pics...

Ghostrider said:
got pic's??

GR
These were the photos of my first model on the original thread when I asked for criticism on December 2nd. Rebel and others gave me some good feedback and I have redesigned since then. No photos of that as yet.

Although I don't have any photos of the new design, I can say that it does not hang any lower than the OEM part and has the gentle curves that Rebel suggested. It was kinda tough to get the forward turned lower lip AND the curves translated into a mold, but I think the plastic shop has come through for me. I'll know more this week when we have a final review before producing parts. I plan to post photos as soon as possible.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike in AZ said:
These were the photos of my first model on the original thread when I asked for criticism on December 2nd. Rebel and others gave me some good feedback and I have redesigned since then. No photos of that as yet.

Although I don't have any photos of the new design, I can say that it does not hang any lower than the OEM part and has the gentle curves that Rebel suggested. It was kinda tough to get the forward turned lower lip AND the curves translated into a mold, but I think the plastic shop has come through for me. I'll know more this week when we have a final review before producing parts. I plan to post photos as soon as possible.

Mike
Sorry, please don't take offense, but that is Ugly!
I know the clay proto-type looks funny, but at least it has style and function!

GR

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,107 Posts
Ghostrider said:
Sorry, please don't take offense, but that is Ugly!
I know the clay proto-type looks funny, but at least it has style and function!

GR
I respect your opinion, but reserve the right to not agree.

Wishing you luck.

Will you be at the Laughlin get together?

Mike

·
Registered
893 Posts
The right idea.....

Mike in AZ said:

Mike
Mike, I think you've got the right idea.....and the work you have put into it shows.......Can't wait to see the new modifications.....they sound right on.......This other thing makes the SSR look like it's got a belly ache... Well at least thats the way it looks to me.....much modification is needed:rolleyes: there....

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,107 Posts
WW,

I understand where GR is coming from and don't personally think that the prototype clay model should be judged too harshly. There is also a stainless steel version that is out there too.

Lots of room for individual invention here.

The ultimate push of air into the radiator will be your 3G spoiler application. That was a collaborative design between Doug Groh, His son Scott and me. It just doesn't get much better than that. I really want to see the photos of your when it gets installed. Did your spoiler kit include 4 attaching braces or 6? Scott and I were working on a pair of braces straight aft to the frame cross-member about 10 days ago.

Mike

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike in AZ said:
I respect your opinion, but reserve the right to not agree.

Wishing you luck.

Will you be at the Laughlin get together?

Mike
Thanks, that's what makes this country great, is that we can agree to disagree without spite or hate......sometimes.
Anyway, it's just different strokes for different folks. I hope you do well with them, did you ever get a price set?
Can't make it to Laughlin, have a show next weekend and I'm jamed at work!

GR

·
Registered
41 Posts
rebel,

we've been testing our cold air intake for about six months now and should start production next week (i wanted to test it under various weather conditions first). it is frabricated from sheet aluminum to give the traditional hot rod look under the hood (it replaces the radiator upper support and its plastic surround). if i get a chance, i will run out to the laughlin gathering at the end of the month to show it off (along with a few other goodies were working on).

regards,

ken zeller

·
Registered
893 Posts
Attachments

Mike in AZ said:
WW,

I understand where GR is coming from and don't personally think that the prototype clay model should be judged too harshly. There is also a stainless steel version that is out there too.

Lots of room for individual invention here.

The ultimate push of air into the radiator will be your 3G spoiler application. That was a collaborative design between Doug Groh, His son Scott and me. It just doesn't get much better than that. I really want to see the photos of your when it gets installed. Did your spoiler kit include 4 attaching braces or 6? Scott and I were working on a pair of braces straight aft to the frame cross-member about 10 days ago.

Mike

Mike

Mine came with 2 oval....... 2 short arms and 2 longer arms.................BTW....I call them as I see them when someone asks for an opinion.... I think thats what led to some of your modifications too......people making suggestions......same way with the chin spoiler.....at first I wasn't sure I wanted one........and when it was modified ....it came around........Very few people hit it dead on the first time outa the chute......:seeya

1 - 20 of 21 Posts