Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am continually amazed at how plain stupid some people can be. I'm afraid I have discovered a new hazard for us SSR owners to be on guard against.

A couple fo days ago, I glanced out of my hotel window, and saw 2 very overweight women at my SSR. One was wielding a camera, while the other was trying to SIT on my HOOD, so her freind could snap her pciture!!

She was having trouble getting into and staying "in position" since she visibly weighed at LEAST 225 lb, probably more. Since the hotel windows don't open, I couldn't yell to her (probably a good thing in hindsight given what I am sure I would have said), so I ran downstairs and out to the parking areas as fast as I could. Naturally, she and he companion had waddled off by the time I got there, and I had no idea where they had gone.

The SSR had been suggested to several days of 3000 count pollen deposition here in Atlanta (EVERYthing is producing pollen), and it had also rained a few times in the last few days, so it was really impossible to see how badly her a** had hurt my SSR's hood.

Today, I took it for its weekly handwash at the usual place, and the guys there know me well, and so the guy detailing and waxing it after the handwash drew me over and showed me several surface scratches her a** had left on the hood. Fortunately, he said not to sweat it, as even without a pro pain or body man, these guys in the detail shop know how to remove light swirls and scratches from a vehicle's surface without attacking the clearcoat too much. He did a great job, and so once we got out of the detail room's intense lights, The scratches are pretty much invisible unless you knew they had been there and looked very closely.

But, it of course really pissed me off. I'm sure she just had no idea, just like people who try to put their purse on you car while they look for their keys, and idiots who place their son on your fender to tie his shoelace (I heard this one from Buffy today!).

Our vehciles are such MAGNETS for these screwballs. I hate to think we need to start installing very sensitive motion sensors, as those, when set sensitive enough to react and frighten these clods off, tend to go nuts even in a light wind. And of course, we don't want to have to mount signs on all 4 sides that say
"Hey dipsy, paint is more fragile than you think, so stay away from mine!"

Any ideas (other than automatic flamethrowers)?

Jim G

·
Registered
601 Posts
Jim,

I am sorry that this happened to you. But in your shoes I would have done the same thing. :reddevil I am glad to here that they were able to get the scratches out.

I wish that is all I had to deal with. With in the first month of having the truck, my girlfriend was puting the truck in the back yard and there is a little hill on the drive way. She let the truck drift forward and hit the side of the fence. There was a dent and scratch the paint on the drivers fender. Thank god that it was fixed in a timely manner.

P

·
0 Posts
I was on my way down to Wichita, on the I-35 turnpike, out in the middle of nowhere. I come up on two 18 wheelers in the right lane. They had to have been driving that way for 10-15 miles (you can see forever in Kansas). Just as I'm about to pass, the lag truck decides he needs over in the passing lane NOW, nearly running me off the highway. Then these two dorks proceed to run side by side for the next 25 miles. They made sure to swerve over into the shoulder and spray my truck with road sand and small rocks a few times. I just had to bite my tongue and go on when I could finally get by them because I figured guys that would do that would try to remake the movie "Duel" with me. I remember a day when these guys were kings of the road and would flash lights for passing, etc - today all I see on the road in these things are ignorant A-Holes...just sad :cuss

·
Registered
178 Posts
trucks

psychoslaphead said:
I was on my way down to Wichita, on the I-35 turnpike, out in the middle of nowhere. I come up on two 18 wheelers in the right lane. They had to have been driving that way for 10-15 miles (you can see forever in Kansas). Just as I'm about to pass, the lag truck decides he needs over in the passing lane NOW, nearly running me off the highway. Then these two dorks proceed to run side by side for the next 25 miles. They made sure to swerve over into the shoulder and spray my truck with road sand and small rocks a few times. I just had to bite my tongue and go on when I could finally get by them because I figured guys that would do that would try to remake the movie "Duel" with me. I remember a day when these guys were kings of the road and would flash lights for passing, etc - today all I see on the road in these things are ignorant A-Holes...just sad :cuss

i have had the same problem with trucks pulling that crap. one ahole tried to run me off the road when i passed him. luckily those piece of crap trucks are as slow as the dimwits who drive them. i wish they would go back to the days of freight trains and run all those sobs off the road. maybe gas prices will do that for us. silver lining to every cloud. :cuss :cuss :cuss :mad

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Richard: GREAT idea. I never thought of that. It might have worked from the distance I was at. I will test to see what the range is!!

Jim G

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Remote distance

So are you too far away from your SSR for the remote to work to scare off the insensitive people damaging your vehicle? Well here is a tip that will improve the distance over which the remote will work.....and before you say "that's stupid and would never work" (I know because I did when I first heard it), try it.

Facing your vehicle, place the remote under and close to your chin (not necessarily touching it) and push your remote button. I don't know why this works. The first time I did it, I looked around the parking lot to make sure that no one was looking (because I didn't want to look too stupid). It worked from much further that I would have thought). In subsequent tries, I found that it seems to work about 20% further that if I just try the remote at hip level (as normal).

[EULA: Of course this information is given freely and is suspect to the mental acuteness of the writer and is guaranteed in no way (except to may you look a little funny with a remote under your chin). :lol ]

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking 4: I am not even going to ask how you learned this. I'm just going to try it myself!!

Thanks!!

Jim G

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
1,678 Posts
Amplified!

Your head acts like an anntenna , It amplifies the signal. This works on all remotes. If you get a remote starter, try it a few times alone , after you press the button, it's a 10 second delay. Practice this , and at a show walk up to the truck right at the 10 second and press the front bow tie ! We used to do this at shows :reddevil
Or say out loud " Start Truck " or " SSR START " and watch the people around you ! Trust me its fun :reddevil Chris

·
Registered
740 Posts
Devastator said:
Your head acts like an anntenna , It amplifies the signal. This works on all remotes. If you get a remote starter, try it a few times alone , after you press the button, it's a 10 second delay. Practice this , and at a show walk up to the truck right at the 10 second and press the front bow tie ! We used to do this at shows :reddevil
Or say out loud " Start Truck " or " SSR START " and watch the people around you ! Trust me its fun :reddevil Chris
Doesn't your head have to be hollow to make a good antenna? :)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Not Hollow but...

dougnc said:
Doesn't your head have to be hollow to make a good antenna? :)
I suspect his aluminum foil beanie is working double duty as a parabolic reflector! :lol

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,650 Posts
Chin Remote

looking4_an_ssr said:
... Facing your vehicle, place the remote under and close to your chin (not necessarily touching it) and push your remote button. I don't know why this works. In subsequent tries, I found that it seems to work about 20% further that if I just try the remote at hip level (as normal).
That was what I was going to tell Jim myself. I had learned that trick from a GM mechanic... he told me that your body acts like a large transmitter or kind a like a huge antenna. I found that it can almost double the distance at times.

Try it out sometime when you are walking out to your car and see how far away you can get the lights to flash.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are laughing, but I tried it tonight from my hotel window.

No activation of the panic alarm with a normal holding of the remote.

Successful activation with the remote held under my chin.

Hey, it works, and now I have a way of startling peopke who get too close without having to run downstairs and out of the hotel!

Jim G

·
Registered
369 Posts
Remote

Jim,
I went outside and tried it tonight. My eyes lite up and my mouth locked up.... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Mike :cool

·
Registered
160 Posts
I used my panic button for the first time last week.

Here's what happenned:

I had just got home to the site of two boys riding their bycicles and skateboards dangerously close to everyones cars of our buildings cramped parking lot. I had been talking with our buildings security guard earlier who had mentioned that he had warned them earlier not to ride around in the parking lot.
I had caught the elevator up to my floor. I live in 9 story apatment building. As I turn the corner, I looked over the side railing to see where the two kids were now, I see the one on the bycycle pulling tricks with his bike within fifteen feet of my SSR and closing in fast and clumsily. Of course I watched like a hawk as the kid and bike drew closer to my ssr past all the cars on his path leading into it, skidding mere inches or less from everyones cars. I thought ,"better to be safe than sorry". I squeezed the alarm as he drew in to about a foot of my car that he appeared to almost graze with his bikes handle bar :mad . The alarm sent the kid packing thankfully.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Remote

:)

I'm glad that this 'trick' worked for those who tried it.

If I ever get a remote starter, I will have to try and start it by pressing the Bow Tie! :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can tell everyone in this forum is MUCH younger than I - remember TV's before cable?
Reception changed with where you stood in relation to TV because the body is an antennae, as suggested in these posts. Guess we need rabbit ears... :)

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
"SSR SALUTE"

Remotes to chins :willy: :willy: :glol :glol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts