Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just started experiencing this issue this week ... 2 issues actually, as I don't believe they are related:

1. Issue #1 - my power door locks have started to randomly unlock/lock while I am driving. Does not occur with any regularity ... the door locks just UNLOCK - LOCK, sometimes two or three times in rapid succession. What could be causing this? My thought is that there is something in the transmission linkage that is telling the door locks that the car transmission is momentarily in PARK (or NEUTRAL?) and the door locks UNLOCK, but then quickly corrects and the door locks LOCK. Might this be indicating a pending failure of the tranny linkage at the shifter itself? Or might this be related to an intermittent disconnect in the electrical wiring inside the door? Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Issue #2 - When I press the door LOCK button on the center console, my passenger window rolls down!! Same as if I momentarily pressed the window DOWN button and the window cycles ALL THE WAY DOWN! Had this happen as I was going through a car wash ... luckily the washer was spraying the other side of the truck at the time. Any help in diagnosing this is appreciated.

Cheers, Carl

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,194 Posts
Hi Carl,

If you had only issue #1, I might be inclined to agree that the tranny switch in the shifter portion of the console is giving you fits, but...... with issue #2 added into the picture, I think your problem is elsewhere. Without being there to see the symptoms and check stuff myself, here are my thoughts:

1. The Roof Door Module (should be called Roof Door Window Module) may have an intermittent ground.

2. The center console switch panel may have a problem on the circuit board or electrical connector.

3. The wiring from the center console switch panel may have some sort of pinch at a metal bracket or short between the wires......

I would consider pulling the center console switch panel up and inspecting the wiring and connection. If you want, I can ship a used, spare console switch panel for you to try....... might be an easy way to check off a bunch of possible failure modes.....

Mike

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Carl,

I would consider pulling the center console switch panel up and inspecting the wiring and connection. If you want, I can ship a used, spare console switch panel for you to try....... might be an easy way to check off a bunch of possible failure modes.....

Mike
Mike, if you are willing to allow me to borrow a spare console switch panel, that would be awesome. I should have clarified that the passenger window going down when I press the LOCK switch on the center console started occurring about a month ago (just wasn't on the forum to report it). The issue with the random door lock/unlock just started about two days ago. Does this info affect you recommendation as to what might be the problem?
Cheers, Carl
<<I'll send my address in a PM>>

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,194 Posts
Mike, if you are willing to allow me to borrow a spare console switch panel, that would be awesome. I should have clarified that the passenger window going down when I press the LOCK switch on the center console started occurring about a month ago (just wasn't on the forum to report it). The issue with the random door lock/unlock just started about two days ago. Does this info affect you recommendation as to what might be the problem?
Cheers, Carl
I think we need to eliminate the console switch panel as a contributor to the issue. It's an easy swap-out. Great way to isolate the issues and clear a branch of the troubleshooting tree.

I'll get it off to you tomorrow.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think we need to eliminate the console switch panel as a contributor to the issue. It's an easy swap-out. Great way to isolate the issues and clear a branch of the troubleshooting tree.

I'll get it off to you tomorrow.

Mike
Mike, you are too kind ... thank you!

Cheers, Carl

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Issue #1 - my power door locks have started to randomly unlock/lock while I am driving. Does not occur with any regularity ... the door locks just UNLOCK - LOCK, sometimes two or three times in rapid succession. What could be causing this? My thought is that there is something in the transmission linkage that is telling the door locks that the car transmission is momentarily in PARK (or NEUTRAL?) and the door locks UNLOCK, but then quickly corrects and the door locks LOCK. Might this be indicating a pending failure of the tranny linkage at the shifter itself? Or might this be related to an intermittent disconnect in the electrical wiring inside the door? Has anyone else experienced this?
Carl, I chased electrical issues on my son’s 2011 Cadillac Escalade for months. Among other things, the door locks would just randomly go nuts while driving, similar to the symptoms you’re experiencing. It turned out to be a bad body ground.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carl, I chased electrical issues on my son’s 2011 Cadillac Escalade for months. Among other things, the door locks would just randomly go nuts while driving, similar to the symptoms you’re experiencing. It turned out to be a bad body ground.
Thanks for the info, I had not considered that it may be a grounding issue. I'll check all the grounds ... again. I went through the truck and checked all the grounds shortly after purchase, but that was 28 months ago and I do live at the beach (salt air is the devil). Would be great if this is the problem, an easy fix for a change!
Cheers, Carl

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
Mike, could it be the Transmission Control Module in the "Engine Room" right there on the left side. Mine did that one day and that's what is was. Bob Alexander :ssr

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,194 Posts
Mike, could it be the Transmission Control Module in the "Engine Room" right there on the left side. Mine did that one day and that's what is was. Bob Alexander :ssr
Hi Bob,

I doubt that the transmission control module has any connection to the windows...... More likely either the window switch unit on the console or the RDM..... We are gonna throw in a different switch unit and see if it changes the symptoms.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
Hi Bob,

I doubt that the transmission control module has any connection to the windows...... More likely either the window switch unit on the console or the RDM..... We are gonna throw in a different switch unit and see if it changes the symptoms.

Regards,

Mike
You're probably right Mike ... it did not affect my "winder's" but it sure lit up the lights in the Dash and kept my Transmission in 3rd gear. Bob :ssr

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,959 Posts
MY guess! RDM, should be Roof Door WINDOW Module.

RDM are available from Mike Byers, Classic Chevy, 817-944-1056

I change RDM.

I changed Door Latch/Lock Module and it was broken wire in harness. Did strange things.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
** RESOLUTION **
Mike Moro (Simple Engineering) graciously sent a replacement shifter console cover, with integrated controls, in order that I conduct a simple replacement test to determine the root cause of the passenger window cycling full down when the door LOCK button is pressed on the console. As soon as the part was replaced the problem disappeared. The window no longer cycled full down when the LOCK button is pressed. I then re-swapped the old console cover back in place and the problem re-appeared. I now have the replacement console cover in my SSR and the window operation is as it should be.

THANK YOU Mike! I appreciate your generosity and willingness to help out so quickly.

I sent the defective console back to Mike for his inspection and determination as to what went bad in the panel.

... as a side note, the problem that I originally posted to solicit help, door locks randomly UNLOCKING/LOCKING while driving, has not re-occurred since I made the initial post ... ????

Cheers, Carl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts