Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I found these at the SEMA show and thought it's a perfect part for our SSR's!
It cover's your brake caliper's and you can choose from a cool Carbon Fiber, or powdercoated Black, Red, Silver or Yellow! The are made from quality super light weight aluminum (except the carbon fiber ones) and are powdercoated with heat resistant paint! The are easy to install over your original brake caliper using a special "heat resistant" adhesive tape, and frankly they look awesome!!
And they are easier to keep clean!
Check them out on my NEW SSR website! You can click the pictures to make them larger and you can order them using paypal or mail me a check!
Here's the link (Edited by moderator) Please PM him!
You can see my other items that are currently available and I'm adding more stuff every week!
Thanks again!!

GR (Aaron)

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
I do like the look BUT. Do you have to take them off to change brake pads? If so do you need new tape to reinstall? Do you have to take wheels off to put them on?

Thank You
Paul Perinati :ssr

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Paint

Painted mine with the Dupli- Color caliper paint kit for $25. Took a couple of hours, but they look great.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
OK, come on GR.

A little item here or there was OK, but now with all of the items that you are posting (some of which I have purchased), members have pointed out that this is more than a member trying to recap their money for an item that they have made. It has become a "business' for you. Even your own words are
ghostrider said:
You can see my other items that are currently available and I'm adding more stuff every week!
Until we can get a ruling on what the future lies for members selling things, you will have to use Private Messages (PM's) to do your business......... No websites, e-mails or phone numbers.

I hope you understand.............

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buffy said:
OK, come on GR.

A little item here or there was OK, but now with all of the items that you are posting (some of which I have purchased), members have pointed out that this is more than a member trying to recap their money for an item that they have made. It has become a "business' for you. Even your own words are

Until we can get a ruling on what the future lies for members selling things, you will have to use Private Messages (PM's) to do your business......... No websites, e-mails or phone numbers.

I hope you understand.............
I understand, what I've "turned into a business" is just what I put on my car or buy for myself that I can't find anywhere else! All I'm doing is sharing cool stuff that I can't find anywhere else or what I find that other member's might want! Besides, the profit margin is soooo small it's not really what I would consider a business, I pass these things on to members for a lot less than it would cost to buy in a store or online.
I wish someone else would do it so I wouldn't have to!

GR

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you do have to take the wheel off, to put them on, and after you put new brake pads on too, there is new tape available for that too!

GR

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like looking at new stuff people fined. So the right way for GR to post this would be something like. Have found some kool stuff for are SSR's PM me for info. :)

Perinati :ssr

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
Heat Dissipation?

I love the dressy look, but is there a downside to putting these on top of the calipers? I am cautious to do anything that would decrease the dissipation of caliper heat.......

Sorry to be negative about something that looks this nice.......

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
Painted mine also - took a little time, but I think it looks better than a cover that hides the front half the caliper. The paint is readily available at $25.00.

Ray

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
Flassh - How are the cross-drilled rotors? Did they actually make a noticeable difference in braking, or are they mostly cosmetic? I know the theory, but am not yet convinced that we can tell the difference in street use.....

Mikey

Sorry, GR - No intention of hijacking. The question just seemed to fit. - Mike

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ghostrider said:
I found these at the SEMA show and thought it's a perfect part for our SSR's!
It cover's your brake caliper's and you can choose from a cool Carbon Fiber, or powdercoated Black, Red, Silver or Yellow! The are made from quality super light weight aluminum (except the carbon fiber ones) and are powdercoated with heat resistant paint! The are easy to install over your original brake caliper using a special "heat resistant" adhesive tape, and frankly they look awesome!!
And they are easier to keep clean!
Check them out on my NEW SSR website! You can click the pictures to make them larger and you can order them using paypal or mail me a check!
Here's the link (Edited by moderator) Please PM him!
Thanks again!!

GR (Aaron)
Nothing personal, but everytime I see your posting, I feel that I am being hustled.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
Flassh - How are the cross-drilled rotors? Did they actually make a noticeable difference in braking, or are they mostly cosmetic? I know the theory, but am not yet convinced that we can tell the difference in street use.....

Mikey

Put on Baer Eradi Speed ones on the Cobra Stang and made a big difference in stopping distance, plus installed High Performance Ceramic Pads, about $1,000.00 but well worth it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mike in AZ said:

Mikey

I had Eradispeeds on my Marauder. They aren't just good looking - the slots and drill holes are functional. The slots allow gasses that come off the brake pads to be vented away, thus improving brake performance and lessening heat buildup. The holes are there to allow water to escape, thus improving wet performance.

Baers are good brakes -- if a bit pricey. They have a life time warranty against warpage (labor is not included, and of course, you have to ship them back to Baer). Interestingly, the kit I had used Corvette brake pads. Also note Baer pads are a bit more costly.

If you make the jump, be sure to season them properly, use their recommended procedure.

Mine got a tad out of true after 25,000 miles, and I had them turned (which voided the lifetime warranty). Sometimes you have to decide whether you can afford let the car sit for a few weeks, or have a good tech turn whatca have and be on your way.

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
Hi, Mike

Rotors are from Rotorpros - they are on EBay, and I think the website is rotorpros.com

I bought them primarily for the drilled/slotted apprearance. I always thought the brakes were great, and I haven't done any testing that could document an increase in performance - certainly no worse than stock. It appears they took stock rotors and rebuilt them, because all the casting numbers from the stock rotors match.

The big plus was that with the zinc plating, the new rotors have not shown any signs of corrosion after about 6000 miles, where the stock rotors looked pretty rusty.

Pricing was great - 240/set of four plus shipping with the hubs painted. 200/set without the paint. Paint color was a great match to the Duplicolor paint I used on the calipers.

Keep in mind that with the stock wheels, the calipers are pretty much hidden, and the hubs are definitely not to be seen. Open aftermarket wheels really make the brakes stand out.

The only downside - don't let your wife catch you laying on the floor with a little brush painting calipers when the kitchen ceramic tiles haven't been grouted yet.
:lol

Ray

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
Thanks Ray,

I'll be putting a set of those on my list of things to spend $ on. Painting the calipers will definitely have to be done at the same time. I'll have to do it when she's playing with the grandkids.....

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike in AZ said:
I love the dressy look, but is there a downside to putting these on top of the calipers? I am cautious to do anything that would decrease the dissipation of caliper heat.......

Sorry to be negative about something that looks this nice.......

Mike
They only cover the front part, not the back, so plenty of heat is diverted! They've been tested and they work great!

GR

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Flassh said:
Painted mine also - took a little time, but I think it looks better than a cover that hides the front half the caliper. The paint is readily available at $25.00.

Ray
Those look awesome! I too was going to do that but the time it takes to take the brake caliper off and paint all four adds to the cost! Labor to do so is way over the cost of putting those covers on unless you do it yourself and I'm definately no mechanic! This is an alternative to the labor intensive job and waiting for all four x 2 (both sides of the calipers) to dry! It too much work or cost for someone else to do it for the mechanically inept! (like me!)

GR

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
I took the calipers off to install the rotors, and the retaining bolts are definitely torqued on. Still, it was about 15 minutes per corner to re & re.

I painted the calipers while they were mounted - not really all that difficult. Might not get to all the nooks and crannies on the backside, but everything visible can be done quite easily - having a crawler helps a little to get to the bottoms.

Ray

1 - 20 of 44 Posts