Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Recent purchase 2003 Black 28,000 miles. Just love the look of this vehicle! Enjoy driving, handling, engine etc, but have become spoiled to cushy ride of newer vehicles. Ideas re improving suspension? Also, estimated cost to repaint running boards. I'm a terrible DIY person. Want to go matching color on boards. So far, all else seems to work fine. Amazed at clean the engine and underside are.

SSR Believer
馃憢 Hi and welcome from the Northwest's playground!

Congrats on your new ride! There's a huge community of owners here that can help you find parts, troubleshoot issues and otherwise offer great support. Others will chime in with tips and tricks.

We like a nice, comfy ride too, but keep in mind, the SSR is a truck. Just sayin'. ;) We've improved the ride and handling of our SSR by adding new shocks and springs, a frame stiffening plate and a 4 bolt cross member from Simple Engineering. Our running boards were painted by the original owner and we installed Simple Engineering's dropped and tucked running board brackets for a more custom look.

Here's the link to SE and a few others that you'll find invaluable:

Replacement and after-market parts and accessories from @Mike in AZ

Trouble shooting and DIY repairs from @Dicktator

SSR DIY and other videos from @shiftz33:

Tell us a little more about yourself and your new-to-you SSR when you have time.

In the meantime, enjoy your PermaGrin!

The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
Hellooooo from Cincinnati and welcome! Many will be along to say hi and give you advice. Contact Mike at simple engineering. He's our go to guy but remember this is a truck chassis so a Cadillac ride you won't find.

Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
Welcome from Forney Texas !!! Do like Rich says in Post #2--Especially "Help Us Help You".

Nick

Ex SoCal Nut
Welcome to the Fanatic Family! Take the advice and contact Mike, you can't go wrong.

Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
When I was a new member I also asked this question... Really no matter what you do it's still going to have a stiff ride... Like a few told me; if you want to ride in a couch get a Cadillac... You get use to it and there's seldom a rough road that can take away a PermaGrin! 馃榿

Welcome to the Fanatic Family!

Premium Member
The ride can be stiffened by adding the accessories addressed above. They will stiffen the body shake and sway. It will not cushion the ride.

You may want to check your tires. Try running them at the PSI recommended by Chevy if they are higher now. Your tires could also be old and stiff.

I like the "firm" ride. It will not be luxury car soft.

Dave

Slingshot Rules!

WELCOME, @RBrockway . . . from Southern Arizona.

CONGRATS on your "new" SSR and I bet there is a relatively simple solution for your ride issues. Unfortunately, I am much like you, NOT a DIY type so no suggestions.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
Welcome from the Old Fine State of Maryland. Are you near by?

Super Moderator
It isn't a Cadillac.
I never see a problem with the ride as I have always mostly driven sports cars anyway
I remember how much my 77 Vette (one of 8 Vettes) drove me a little crazy.
Fortunately I also had a 76 Grand Prix and a 78 Seville at the time or the Vette would have driven me nuts as a daily driver.
I definitely do not feel the same way about the SSR, even though she never has been my daily and rests Nov-Apr.

What I do find is I can't drive her for 8 hours without butt discomfort and the bolster really gets to the back of my legs.
Also, I find the tranny tunnel forces my gas foot to the left, ergo my knee to the right with my foot on the gas pedal.
I have never relied so much on any vehicle's cruise control - it just gives my right stuff a break
I have been developing inner right knee problems (pops a lot - I can feel it to the point I think I can hear it as well) and I think, after driving many hours over a 5 day period it seems I can attribute part of my issue to my right leg position in the SSR.
I feel like I should place some sort of cushion between the console and my knee to keep things more perpendicular

As far as the ride, no other vehicle I would rather run on a 2-3 hour trip, but just due to my knee and the bolster thing, more than that, I want my old Mercedes!
My discomfort really has nothing to do with the ride - Kate is way too much fun.
Soften the ride - better slow down on the corners

BAD BOW TIE
Love the stiff solid ride.

Premium Member
Welcome aboard from the 'Sooner' state of Oklahoma. Hope you enjoy your 'ride', and you get that 'permagrin' :giggle: that we all talk about.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, thanks for all the welcome and info. Just so happens I just finished watching a video from RetroCarGuy on replacing the front shocks. Oh, boy, looks like a job for the local mechanic and a rethink of the ride for me. I was out today taking curves too fast and loved it. Yahoo.

The Susan Lucci of ROTM
Wow, thanks for all the welcome and info. Just so happens I just finished watching a video from RetroCarGuy on replacing the front shocks. Oh, boy, looks like a job for the local mechanic and a rethink of the ride for me. I was out today taking curves too fast and loved it. Yahoo.
I feel your pain on the fronts. I changed my rears out a month and half ago and keep procrastinating on the fronts! 馃檲

Spirited driver!
I feel your pain on the fronts. I changed my rears out a month and half ago and keep procrastinating on the fronts! 馃檲
Did you get the lowering front shocks? I thinking of getting those and new lowering springs for rear with shocks.

Premium Member
Welcome, welcome from sunny SoCal (actually very smokey at the moment). I'm also a 1st year rookie owner --- got mine last October --- a 2005 Smokin' Asphalt with only 8500 miles. I have just about installed almost everything Mike Moro has to offer. Wouldn't do it any other way. And I agree with the "R Family" comments above. We now ride a truck with Corvette genetics as a hybrid. But, a truck nonetheless. Enjoy and embrace your new and lasting Permagrin!!!! Where are you located?

The Susan Lucci of ROTM
Did you get the lowering front shocks? I thinking of getting those and new lowering springs for rear with shocks.
Yes I did.... Still procrastinating though....I think I better go floss now.... Yes I'll do that first then get to the shocks.... But wait! I should get some tweezers and look for loose carpet fibers in the house and then I'm definitely doing the shocks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts