Chevy SSR Forum banner

New Member in Kansas

3K views 33 replies 29 participants last post by  Boomer Bob 
#1 ·
Recently purchased a 2003 SSR, 2 owner with 60K miles. Nicely optioned all stock, black on black. Drives and handles Great. The only thing causing me some concern is the temperature while driving in stop and go traffic (230-240). Runs about 190 degrees going down the road, which appears to be normal. I am glad that this forum exists to provide information on these unique vehicles. Thanks in advance for the information I know I will need at some point.

Electgenguy

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet ssr Sedan

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the family from one of the SoCal Nuts. Give us a bit of background about yourself and that other Black machine in your drive way. I think the new one will be more comfortable to drive.

Reactions: Electgenguy
#10 ·
Well, I just turned 50, live in Baldwin City KS, and have had a passion for cars my entire life. My wife and I have been married for 10 years, and are empty nesters. The SSR was a bucket list item (as was the 2001 C5 Corvette). The Corvette is a triple black Z51, A4, with a few mild upgrades and 50K on the clock.
The SSR is a much more user friendly vehicle that I can see myself taking on vacation (something I would probably never do in the Vette), however, I don’t get the same rush when I drive it versus the C5. The C5 is pure “go fast”, and the R is more of a best friend type of cruiser. Both serve a purpose and I think I will be hard pressed to part with either of them.

#13 ·
The only thing causing me some concern is the temperature while driving in stop and go traffic (230-240). Runs about 190 degrees going down the road, which appears to be normal. I am glad that this forum exists to provide information on these unique vehicles. Thanks in advance for the information I know I will need at some point.

Electgenguy

View attachment 514602
First.... welcome to the family. This is a great bunch of mixed nuts that you have hooked up with.

You should never have to see temps above the 235 line. The engine control system is designed to keep you below that point under all circumstances.

The cooling system will run at 195-200 when it is regulating on the thermostat. When the thermostat gets wide open, the temp will rise. The main fan will turn on to low speed when the water temp gets to 226 and then switch back off when it drops to 219. If low speed operation is inop, the fan will go to high speed at 235 and then switch to low speed at 226.

If your temp is getting above 226, you need to check the cooling fan. Since the A/C logic is parallel to the water temp logic, we use the A/C system to test the fan operation. With the engine running, the computer will turn on the cooling fan to low speed when the A/C gets up to “normal” operating pressure. We use this to test the fan operation. Low speed is quiet and moves plenty of air to keep the A/C system in limits under most conditions and moves more than enough air to keep the engine cool.... even in Phoenix. By turning on the A/C when in stop and go traffic, you wil force the fan to run all the time. This is not a problem, as it will keep your engine regulating on the thermostat.....

If low speed is not enough airflow to hold the A/C system pressure within limits, the computer will switch the fan to high speed until it comes down. We have seen a number of low speed fan failures that rely on high speed fan to keep the A/C system within limits. This results in the cooling fan cycling between off and high speed...... it plays hell with the A/C system and you will definitely notice the sound of high speed fan during the cycling.

Start the engine and turn on the A/C in the driveway. As the compressor brings the system up to pressure, the computer will turn on the main fan. You can see it running.

There are a lot of subtleties to the cooling fan control system and the cooling system. The system turns off the fan above 35mph, regardless of temp or A/C pressure. This is because there is more than enough natural airflow (given that you have an air dam in place) through the radiator and condenser above 35. Remember this...... NASCAR cars get hot when drafting and you will too. Following close behind a motor home up a hill at 45mph will get you a hot temp, for sure.....

Call if you need any help with the cooling system. I am available during “normal” Phoenix hours almost any day. 480-225-2123 (cell)

My best regards,

Mike

#17 ·
Thanks Mike, I was checking out the Simple Engineering SSR goodies long before I ever purchased mine.

I may have read the temp gauge wrong as I was driving it home for the first time, but it sure looked too hot to me. I turned on the heater as I was stuck in traffic due to a wreck on the interstate. I never thought of turning on the AC, as I assumed that would make it worse. I will do the driveway check today and confirm that it is working with the AC on.

Last week, I ordered a black car cover, replacement air dam, the coolant system tune-up kit, upper and lower radiator hoses, and a new coolant tank. If none of that does the trick, I will be ordering the updated replacement fan kit as well.

Thanks for all you do on this forum for fellow SSR fans like me.

Electgenguy

#14 ·
Good morning "E Man" Let me add my :00000732: to all the rest of the SSRfanatics families. You are now an official member of the SSR Nation !!! Now that's the good news !!! Bad news ... absolutely NONE !!! Now and then you'll find a few "gremlin's" in your your "little black truck" but don't panic. Overheating ??? turn your AC on and your fan on High. That should help temporarily ... that is until you can get Mikes Fan installed (Mike in AZ - Simple Engineering). One other "grem" is replace the Transmission Cable Bolt (original one is plastic) Since you're a car man you know about these "things"

tennesseecozydog :ssr

#18 ·
A wealth of knowledge and information Dictator.

I noticed another "glitch" today. Every once in a while, my right turn signal will flash really fast, but only when I have the brakes applied. One I let off the brakes, the flash returns to normal. I replaced the bulbs in the rear tail lights/turn signals, front parking lights/turn signals, and all 4 side marker lights...no change. I am thinking possibly a ground issue somewhere..??

Also today while checking my radiator fan switch with the AC on as Mike suggested, I found out my blower motor is only working on the first 3 positions....Settings 4 and 5 just turn off the motor. Bad switch..??

Thank you as well for all you do on this forum for all of the SSR fans.

#23 ·
Also today while checking my radiator fan switch with the AC on as Mike suggested, I found out my blower motor is only working on the first 3 positions....Settings 4 and 5 just turn off the motor. Bad switch..??

Thank you as well for all you do on this forum for all of the SSR fans.
The heater/AC control switches and hard to find and expensive, I would certainly check out the resistor pack for the blower motor speed first, they're only about $10.

#22 ·
Welcome to the group!!

Another fellow Kansan here. If ever in the Hiawatha area be sure to look me up. Just send me a PM I'll give you all the details and contact info. You won't find a better site around than this one. Absolutely great people and a great vehicle.

Have fun.

The Agcat

John

Reactions: Electgenguy
#27 ·
Electgenguy, Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you have found the BEST FORUM ever! BUT-----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then when you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.