Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 6-Speed
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello SSR community!

This is John in SC.

My wife and I have begun looking for an SSR to purchase. However, I have discovered that I can't post responses to SSR for sale listings nor send personal messages to sellers yet.

When I try, this pops up:
"You have not met the minimum requirements to unlock this feature, please continue to participate in the community by starting or interacting with an introduction thread to unlock additional feature."
So, I think that means I am supposed to post something in this section to activate this functionality.

We are looking for an an 05 or 06 automatic to use as a driver, not a pristine garage queen. We actually intend to haul an ultralite camper with it. Pacific Blue is our preference.

I worked as a mechanic while in college, so higher mileage or a fixer-upper at lower cost is preferable. A sweet deal on a black SSR that needs paint is my second option. Although I am not a fan of black (it gets hot in SC), it can be painted a non-stock color and the engine compartment being black is actually retro.

If anyone knows of an SSR that fits this criteria, please pass along the information.

Thanks!

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,294 Posts
I have a black 04 that I would sell. It has a lot of upgrades on it already and most things that need attention taken care of already. I did most of the 05 upgrades as well, like wiper arms, door panels, air cleaner, factory hood struts. Updated fan, brake module repaired, heat shield, new front Bilstien shocks, new battery this year, new negative cable. Heater hoses, belts, coolant tank all done last year. 4 bolt crossmember.

·
Spirited driver!
2006 3SS
1,939 Posts
Hello SSR community!

This is John in SC.

My wife and I have begun looking for an SSR to purchase. However, I have discovered that I can't post responses to SSR for sale listings nor send personal messages to sellers yet.

When I try, this pops up:
"You have not met the minimum requirements to unlock this feature, please continue to participate in the community by starting or interacting with an introduction thread to unlock additional feature."
So, I think that means I am supposed to post something in this section to activate this functionality.

We are looking for an an 05 or 06 automatic to use as a driver, not a pristine garage queen. We actually intend to haul an ultralite camper with it. Pacific Blue is our preference.

I worked as a mechanic while in college, so higher mileage or a fixer-upper at lower cost is preferable. A sweet deal on a black SSR that needs paint is my second option. Although I am not a fan of black (it gets hot in SC), it can be painted a non-stock color and the engine compartment being black is actually retro.

If anyone knows of an SSR that fits this criteria, please pass along the information.

Thanks!
I saw that @Old Johnboy has beautiful Pac Blue for sale at a very good price. Look in the Fpr Sale section. There are also threads on here where you can post to build your count up to 15 where you can PM.

·
SSR Believer
2,810 Posts
Hi John and welcome!

I'm with Lance (@PokerGuy). Based on your requirements, I don't believe you are going to find a better deal than this 2006 Pac Blue that another Fanatic just listed for sale:

The list of why that's such an excellent deal would be too long for a post, but suffice to say, if we didn't already own ours, it would have been in our garage days ago. If you're serious, about a well-cared for somewhat collectable SSR, that's the one. It won't last long - and no I won't earn a commission - it's that good by all measures IMHO though. 👌

BTW, you've come to the right place to look for your new SSR. It's how we found ours and we couldn't be happier. Buying from a Fanatic will almost guarantee that you'll inherit a well maintained, often well-optioned vehicle that'll deliver many, many miles of fun and the infamous Permagrin!

·
Registered
2005 6-Speed
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi John and welcome!

I'm with Lance (@PokerGuy). Based on your requirements, I don't believe you are going to find a better deal than this 2006 Pac Blue that another Fanatic just listed for sale:

The list of why that's such an excellent deal would be too long for a post, but suffice to say, if we didn't already own ours, it would have been in our garage days ago. If you're serious, about a well-cared for somewhat collectable SSR, that's the one. It won't last long - and no I won't earn a commission - it's that good by all measures IMHO though. 👌

BTW, you've come to the right place to look for your new SSR. It's how we found ours and we couldn't be happier. Buying from a Fanatic will almost guarantee that you'll inherit a well maintained, often well-optioned vehicle that'll deliver many, many miles of fun and the infamous Permagrin!

Thanks! Trying to reach out to @Old Johnboy is what motivated me to get my account unlocked so I could contact him!

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,636 Posts
@MidBubSC, just comment on any post to get count up. Also--Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION, now, the year of your SSR, when you get it, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
5,037 Posts
If I was in the market, I'd be all over that Pac Blue! Only 532 were made and usually always brings a premium price. At $26,000 it's a great deal! 💙

Reactions: richsadams

·
Registered
2005 6-Speed
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the input! I had a great conversation with Old Johnboy this morning.

Now I begin negotiations with my better half to determine how much money she can tolerate me pulling from the savings account.

·
SSR Believer
2,810 Posts
Thank you all for the input! I had a great conversation with Old Johnboy this morning.

Now I begin negotiations with my better half to determine how much money she can tolerate me pulling from the savings account.
Been there, done that. Convinced the wife that I needed an actual hobby to keep me busy and out of her hair. It worked! :love: Best of luck!

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,294 Posts

I would suggest taking her down to the local Chevy dealer first. Test drive a new truck fully loaded. Then walk by a new Corvette if they have one, then a Camaro if they have a loaded V8 model. With those prices in her head, take her to a nice dinner maybe a good bottle of wine. Then tell her how much you can save with an SSR.

Would I suggest getting her a little tipsy and bait and switching cars to get what you want? All I will say, I have asked for a hippopotamus more than once for Christmas. 😁

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
5,037 Posts
Sure hope you can join us Blues Brothers! I know of a Pac Blue 6 speed with just a few more miles on it but not at $26K! Better make it happen or you'll regret it later! 😉💙

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Registered
2005 6-Speed
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello All - just wanted to update everyone that my wife and I are now the proud owners of TigerSSR's 226,000 mile fixer-upper truck!

Originally a black truck painted Clemson Orange ~6 years ago. Paint is still in pretty good shape.

It needs some TLC so I will surely be posting lots of questions.

Things I noticed from the drive home:

The truck is overall very clean for the mileage it has. TigerSSR kept all the interior parts that have broken (such as cup holders) so I need to purchase some good glue to get things reattached.

Roof seals leaked and shop couldn't order replacements so they caulked up the roof seams! I suspect I will have to purchase the entire roof assembly from a salvage yard to get replacement seals.

Dash warning lights are all lit up like a Christmas Tree! Haven't had a chance to research yet, but these are the codes I pulled:
P0449
P0128
P0135
P2122

ABS Codes (I'll try Dictator's ABS Board re-solder instructions this weekend to see if that clears some up):
C0265
C0245
C0241
C0251
C0252
C0246
C0242
C0225
C0227
C0226

Engine runs strong and the tranny shifts great! Amazing that it is still on the original clutch!

Getting some clunking from the rear end though. Will check the u-joints, or it could be wear from the high mileage. Rear end does have a visible leak around the center cover.

Also noticed that the driver's seat back doesn't recline. Lifts up and down, and moves forward and back without problem.

Driver's door doesn't always open with the exterior handle. If I turn the key first, it will open.

I now have lots of research to do, and any advice is appreciated!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts