Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am in the market for an SSR and have a few questions. First of all, I am in the San Diego area, and am wondering if there are any members in this area who can recommend a dealer and or a salesman who will negotiate on price. I am debating between black and aqua blur, Any advantages or disadvantages to either, or is it just personal taste? Why buy a new 2006 if a new 2005 is essentially the same? The price on the 2005 is so much lower, is that for a good reason? If I buy a 2006, what is the differrence between the SS2 and SS3 besides the gauges? It seems like running boards are standard equiptment, but that they are somehow different in the two packages. Is the chrome package worth the extra price? Is it totally uncool to buy an automatic? If I buy an automatic is there any need for the gauges other that the look? Is there any way during the test drive to asses whether there might be any problems with a particular vehicle down the road (overheating, window leaks, transmission problems)? Are the chrome wheels worth $2,000? I guess that's enough for now. Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
SSR Cool

·
Registered
86 Posts
SSR Cool said:
Hello,
I am in the market for an SSR and have a few questions. First of all, I am in the San Diego area, and am wondering if there are any members in this area who can recommend a dealer and or a salesman who will negotiate on price. I am debating between black and aqua blur, Any advantages or disadvantages to either, or is it just personal taste? Why buy a new 2006 if a new 2005 is essentially the same? The price on the 2005 is so much lower, is that for a good reason? If I buy a 2006, what is the differrence between the SS2 and SS3 besides the gauges? It seems like running boards are standard equiptment, but that they are somehow different in the two packages. Is the chrome package worth the extra price? Is it totally uncool to buy an automatic? If I buy an automatic is there any need for the gauges other that the look? Is there any way during the test drive to asses whether there might be any problems with a particular vehicle down the road (overheating, window leaks, transmission problems)? Are the chrome wheels worth $2,000? I guess that's enough for now. Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
SSR Cool
Welcome...
Sorry but I am not in that area, so will have to defer to another member for dealer
recommendation. Color wise, personal taste, Aqua Blur seems to get more attention. As far as year, benifit I see for a 06 is that is is last model year and lowest in production numbers. Chrome seems to look best (to me) on certian colors, so again personal choice. I'm too tall to be comfortable in a 6 speed o automatic was only choice for me. Test drive will give you the current feel of the truck, no way to predict whay may or may not happen in the next 36k...recommend buying Gmpp ext. warranty. I would say use search feature in this forum by your key words, water leaks, overheat etc. and read those related threads...Other than that, BUY IT, BUY IT!!! you won't regret it. Hope to see ya tooling around in yours soon...Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
255 Posts
One of the best new features of an 05 and 06 model

Correction: You're right. The 05 did have the hood struts first. My "oldtimers" is setting in. I fixed my response and changed it where appropriate now that the 05 and 06's mechanically are identical.

One of the best new features that an 05 and 06 has over the 03 and 04 model years are the "hood struts"! to go along with the LS1 engine and 6-speed tranny.

When Chevy first showed off it's concept for the SSR one of features that didn't make it into production were the "hood struts."

All the owners have complained about the crummy single bar that is used to hold up the SSR's hood. One guy even wanted to have a "class action" lawsuit against Chevy because the bar was so unsafe. For a car that costs as much as the SSR the least it could of had was hydraulic struts that most expensive cars have to hold up their hoods.

Well for the 05 model Chevy finally added in hydraulic hood struts and kept them in for the 06. They do have a kit for retro fitting the older 03-04 models. Chevy should just give the older owners the kit for free an have us just pay for installation for the older SSR's. The only unknown is now that the SSR is out of production, how many of those kits will be made for the previous years? and if they'll make them at all.

They only other thing I know that's different is that the 06's have the outside airtemp on the digital screen (another item owners asked for). And that they actually lowered the base MSRP by about $3K. They did change the number labeling of the option packages from 2 to 3, so maybe there really isn't the price reduction you think there is. I wonder if they also lowered the price again with the latest Chevy promotion in that they just said they lowered the sticker prices on all their cars (I think they also included trucks too).

Besides having the last of the SSR models, which it seems there won't be many of, and may number less than the 03 models. I would try to get an 06 model first, especially if you could get in a color package that only came out in 06.

I've seen the chrome package, and I'll bet a lot of SSR owners would gotten it if it was available when they bought their previous model year cars. I like it and it adds looks and value to the car and do the chrome wheels.

You should look for an 06 with as much new 06 options as possible to add to the cars value in the future. The 6-speed will become more valuable and there's not a lot of SSR's out there with 6-speed sticks. Although to me the automatic is just fine as I have an 04 automatic (only transmission offered then).

So to increase the value of your 06 get:
1. an only 06 color combination - either the new Blue or two tone color package
2. the chrome package
3. the 6-speed
4. chrome wheels
5. the highest option car (SS3)

You also get the last of model of the SSR run, which could be the smallest if it's less than the 03 run and thus making it more valuable in the future.

Carl
Silver SSR

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
savilloc said:
The best new feature that an 06 has over every previous model year is the "hood struts"!

When Chevy first showed off it's concept for the SSR one of features that didn't make it into production were the "hood struts."

All the owners have complained about the crummy single bar that is used to hold up the SSR's hood. One guy even wanted to have a "class action" lawsuit against Chevy because the bar was so unsafe. For a car that costs as much as the SSR the least it could of had was hydraulic struts that most expensive cars have to hold up their hoods.

Well for the 06 model Chevy finally added in hydraulic hood struts. They do have a kit for retro fitting the older models. Chevy should just give us the kit for free an have us just pay for installation for the older SSR's (which includes the 05 model).
I believe the hood struts were standard on the 2005 SSR's. I ordered the strut kit from MPD for my 2004.

Randy

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Also, there is the GM badging on the '06 and the ratios (5th and 6th I think) were changed slightly in the 6 speed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
savilloc said:
Correction: You're right. The 05 did have the hood struts first. My "oldtimers" is setting in. I fixed my response and changed it where appropriate now that the 05 and 06's mechanically are identical.

One of the best new features that an 05 and 06 has over the 03 and 04 model years are the "hood struts"! to go along with the LS1 engine and 6-speed tranny.

Well for the 05 model Chevy finally added in hydraulic hood struts and kept them in for the 06. They do have a kit for retro fitting the older 03-04 models. Chevy should just give the older owners the kit for free an have us just pay for installation for the older SSR's. The only unknown is now that the SSR is out of production, how many of those kits will be made for the previous years? and if they'll make them at all.

They only other thing I know that's different is that the 06's have the outside airtemp on the digital screen (another item owners asked for). And that they actually lowered the base MSRP by about $3K. They did change the number labeling of the option packages from 2 to 3, so maybe there really isn't the price reduction you think there is. I wonder if they also lowered the price again with the latest Chevy promotion in that they just said they lowered the sticker prices on all their cars (I think they also included trucks too).

Besides having the last of the SSR models, which it seems there won't be many of, and may number less than the 03 models. I would try to get an 06 model first, especially if you could get in a color package that only came out in 06.

I've seen the chrome package, and I'll bet a lot of SSR owners would gotten it if it was available when they bought their previous model year cars. I like it and it adds looks and value to the car and do the chrome wheels.

You should look for an 06 with as much new 06 options as possible to add to the cars value in the future. The 6-speed will become more valuable and there's not a lot of SSR's out there with 6-speed sticks. Although to me the automatic is just fine as I have an 04 automatic (only transmission offered then).

So to increase the value of your 06 get:
1. an only 06 color combination - either the new Blue or two tone color package
2. the chrome package
3. the 6-speed
4. chrome wheels
5. the highest option car (SS3)

You also get the last of model of the SSR run, which could be the smallest if it's less than the 03 run and thus making it more valuable in the future.

Carl
Silver SSR

Just one sllight correction to the above post...The o5 and o6 motor is the LS2 and not the LS1. Fairly major difference there in the engine compartment. :seeya

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I think I was asking a confusing question about the gauges, probably out of ignorance. Basically, I'd like to know: are these just for looks or are they useful? By the way, this is a great forum.
SSR Cool

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
I have an '06 and the Volt meter is in the center console guage pod, so yes, it's helpful. I really don't pay too much attention to the Torque gauge, ya know quick glance like the Volts. The outside Temp is the 3rd guage but it is on the DIC as well. I think I use the TEMP the most. Sea level, where I live, to up the Volcano, can bring a 30 degree difference in temps! That's when the seat warmers go on but the top stays down. Welcome & Good Hunting

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Welcome SSR Cool

I personally love the chrome and color package on my Blue SSR, really sets off the total retro styling. I'll warn you, all fingerprints now glow!

The gauge package is just extra bling in my ride. Nice bling. I try not to look at my feet while driving, where the gauges are... You can feel the torque with your butt, and the temp in the dash is not only easier to see, but (in my truck, anyway) much more accurate. Voltage is also covered by an idiot light.

I like the running boards.
Blur is best in the sun, and San Diego has a lot of that. I like black, too, but my project car is going to be black, and I am beginning to enjoy variety.
I really like the 6-speed LS2.

There seems to be plenty of '05 and '06 out there. Some great deals to be found, too.
Happy shopping!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hood Struts

woohoo said:
Yep, My 05 Came With Hood Struts..
I just hope the GM got the hood struts right on the SSR's and they will perform substantially better than the ones Chrysler installed on the Prowlers. Have yet to meet a Prowler owner yet who still has the original struts operating properly. Many went to an aftermarket manual rod support.

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
pm ISLANDDREAMS

he can probably get you a deal worth the hassle of trucking your new baby across country:thumbs
he has a thread in the for sale section called "who still wants one?":flag
p.s. welcome aboard & happy hunting:cool

1 - 17 of 17 Posts