Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys dont you just hate new guys coming here to ask questions before they buy your type of vehicle? LOL.. i've gone thru this on about every Corvette site with newbes coming in.

I just sold my 04 Z06 Z16.. YEAH im still crying, BUT i injured my back and i got where i couldnt climb down in it and back out without messing my back up more. Plus using the clutch with my back hurt.
Fun once you get in but, heck it hurt and i have surgery up coming too.

Okay im looking for a replacement of sorts, i went thru the GTO hunt for an 04 GTO for two weeks, GREAT deals out there on those cars but i really couldnt grasp the looks of the car, didnt do much for me on the outside. great horsepower and interior. And also you talk about the guys having alot of problems with the 04 Goats. So i decided to give the SSR a shot on replacement.

I havent driven an SSR yet but it looks easy enough to get in and out of, i have found a few 04's here in Dallas,Tx brand new at dealerships but most are yellow and silver.
Really would like RED, but cant find RED... the Yellow is cool looking too, ive never owned a yellow vehicle.

Okay the deal i have found is 12 Grand off sticker on the 04 SSR.. wow is this good are what? sounds good, wish the interest rates were still at 0%
So for my choice is between yellow or silver. im thinking the yellow. part of this 12 grand is because i own a GM product still with my very nice 1995 Impala SS. so 1500 bucks of that 12 grand is because i own a GM product. Sticker on the yellow one is around 46,600.00 this puts it down to 34,600.00 with the 12 grand off.

Is this a great price? a good price? an average price?

What is windbreak.. i see that on the silver SSR this lot has, the silver SSR is stickering for around 47,500.00 believe the silver one has towing package and a couple more things.

So with that said.. would i be happy in a SSR... i want to add in this post im not into Hot Rodding since you see i was use to the power in the Z16 you might think that.. Yes it was nice to slam gears every now and then, but im not really into racing.

So? will i be happy with a purchase of an SSR? will it be a NICE replacement of the Z06?
Just cant buy Corvette's anymore with the back problems.

Okay thanks ahead of time, i appreciate all feedback.. i like the extra horses in the 05, but would i use them? Nope doubt it.. just a guy thing and nice to have and brag about.. HAHA..

thanks Tony in Dallas,Tx
 

·
Enjoying life as it comes
Joined
·
5,205 Posts
Tony,
The SSR would be a terrific replacemant for the Z06. I've driven the Z06 and slammed a few gears in one, lots of fun, but difficult to get in and out of with a bad knee. I went with the SSR because of the styling and performance. Don't let anyone fool you, these are quick little trucks. It is much easier to get into and out of than the Z06 is. It's a wounderful cruising vehicle, You'll notice alot of rubbernecking as you drive through town in one of these. THey do draw attention in a good way, even the cops up here give me a nod and a big grin as we pass by.
As for the price, I'd have to say it's pretty good. Haven't seen anything better than that up here. About the same, but not better.
Good luck with your decision and your surgery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FUZZY said:
Tony,
The SSR would be a terrific replacemant for the Z06. I've driven the Z06 and slammed a few gears in one, lots of fun, but difficult to get in and out of with a bad knee. I went with the SSR because of the styling and performance. Don't let anyone fool you, these are quick little trucks. It is much easier to get into and out of than the Z06 is. It's a wounderful cruising vehicle, You'll notice alot of rubbernecking as you drive through town in one of these. THey do draw attention in a good way, even the cops up here give me a nod and a big grin as we pass by.
As for the price, I'd have to say it's pretty good. Haven't seen anything better than that up here. About the same, but not better.
Good luck with your decision and your surgery.
Thanks FUZZY, that helped me out alot reading your reply, i see you understand about climbing in and out of the Vettes. At 48 i guess im getting too old with all my back problems.. haha..

Im heading out in the morning to look and drive both 04 colors and then drive the 05. im leaning to the better price on the 04.

Dumb question and i need to keep reading on these SSR's to learn.. but is this the LT1 engine? I have the LT1 engine in the 95 Impala SS and its a wonderful powerplant.

I love different things that turn heads and my Z16 Vette turned alot of heads, but im sure the SSR will do all the same and then some. In fact i havent seen any SSR's on the road in my home town here of Mesquite,Tx. I've seen them going down the highway but always on the oposite side of the highway.

Thanks for the best wishes on my surgery and my choice of year on the SSR.

So i guess im at the best i can do on lowest price at 34,600.00? he said TTL is like another 3,000 plus here in Tx. we have 6.25 tax on vehicles here.

Okay so what is Wind-break or breaker on these trucks.

And are SSR's >> classified as trucks on insurance?

thanks Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I have a 04/Vert Corvette and today I was looking at the SSRs, I kinda like the 05 with the 390 hp Vette engine. I know the 5.3 300 hp would be good enough but if I am going to go for the SSR, I will try to get the 05 automatic. My wife is going though the same with the back problems. Theres a new color for the 05s call Auga Blurr metillac real cool, I think I got the color right! The SSR is a cool looking ride, I had a Chrysler Powler for almost 3 years. I like the retro look! Good luck!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
Z16Z06 said:
Thanks FUZZY, that helped me out alot reading your reply, i see you understand about climbing in and out of the Vettes. At 48 i guess im getting too old with all my back problems.. haha..

Im heading out in the morning to look and drive both 04 colors and then drive the 05. im leaning to the better price on the 04.

Dumb question and i need to keep reading on these SSR's to learn.. but is this the LT1 engine? I have the LT1 engine in the 95 Impala SS and its a wonderful powerplant.

I love different things that turn heads and my Z16 Vette turned alot of heads, but im sure the SSR will do all the same and then some. In fact i havent seen any SSR's on the road in my home town here of Mesquite,Tx. I've seen them going down the highway but always on the oposite side of the highway.

Thanks for the best wishes on my surgery and my choice of year on the SSR.

So i guess im at the best i can do on lowest price at 34,600.00? he said TTL is like another 3,000 plus here in Tx. we have 6.25 tax on vehicles here.

Okay so what is Wind-break or breaker on these trucks.

And are SSR's >> classified as trucks on insurance?

thanks Tony
Tony...The engine in the '04's is just an all aluminum 5.3L that produces 300HP. It is plenty for these little trucks! Some like the '05's with the LS2 390 HP Vette engine, but I personally don't think it's worth the extra $. The "Windbreak" that you are reading about is a wind screen that mounts behind the cockpit so that when you are driving with the top down, your wife's hairdo doesn't look like she grabbed a 10,000 volt power line, when you get to your destination. Yes, they are classified as "Trucks" on the registration and insurance.

These little baby's will turn heads, draw crowds, and get you more thumbs up, smiles, and nods than you have ever seen before! So, if you are looking for a vehicle for a secret afair, this ain't the one! :jester On a side note, I am a Vietnam Vet and wear a prosthesis, and I tried getting in and out of a Vette, which I could not do, but have no problems with my SSR. It is a great driver and comfortable too. I drove to Florida straight through (600 miles) and was never uncomfortable at all. I don't think you will be disappointed with an SSR!
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
I don't think you will have any problems getting in and out of the SSR but some people complain that for the long haul the seats aren't comffy, I think any seats for the long haul aren't comffy, but sitting for long periods makes my back hurt anyway. If you are short you can open the door and push the second setting on the seat to move the seat back and you can get out with ease , with the seat all the way forward you do have to kind of finangle it a little.


Are you looking at a dealership near you? I know that Van has at least 6 SSR's on their lot and several are 04s' I think 34 is a good price, but it never hurts to look around.
 

·
SSR Pit Crew
Joined
·
1,742 Posts
Z16Z06 said:
I love different things that turn heads and my Z16 Vette turned alot of heads
You have NO IDEA how many heads you'll turn with an SSR. Vettes pass by people all of the time (even Z06's) here in Atlanta, and nobody pays them much attention anymore.

But, just go for a ride in an SSR and gas stops turn into 15 minute Q&A sessions. (Be prepard to show off the Top Up, Top Down sequence many times!)

I love mine and I'd buy another one tomorrow!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,665 Posts
availability

Don't know where you are int TX - but Mac Haik in Houston actually has a red one (don't know what year) on the USED lot and it's been there some time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,355 Posts
You'll love the SSR.

If you check the info on many members on this board, a lot of Vettes have been traded for SSRs in the last year. You'll see tag lines like "more fun than the last 4 Vettes combined."

As far as comfort, I picked mine up in NC, and drove back to the west coast in 3 1/2 days - lots of seat time, and couldn't wait to get back in after a gas or food stop.

My wife and I took a 3000+ mile road trip in November - had a ball, and thinking of doing it again next fall - from B.C. to the maritimes, and south into north east US, before coming home. Wouldn't do it unless we were very comfortable.

It has over 22000 miles of pure joy on it now, and I can't wait for the good weather to come back.

As far as color, my original order was red, but the yellow became available, and I bought it. My wife loved it from day one. It really stands out in a crowd, and I think it shows off the lines better than any other color at night. I really liked the new Blur when I saw one in person, but it just looks dark at night. Still have a soft spot for a Candy red or orange - we'll see what comes along for 06 and 07. I'd love to go back and do the twisties on 128 from Calistoga (Napa Valley) to to the California coast with a 6 speed.

Good luck - you'll have a blast with any color, and either engine.

Ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
If I can get in and out of a SSR you will have no trouble with a bad back, I was shot a couple times with a AK-47 and have a spine problem, Had to take the running boards off and then no trouble, I think if I lowered it with a ground force kit it would be even better, If anyone has used one how does it ride
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thankyou

houtex said:
Don't know where you are int TX - but Mac Haik in Houston actually has a red one (don't know what year) on the USED lot and it's been there some time.

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou SO very much ALL of you for your help and for being SO nice to me. I feel great on this board and i feel you guys have the best looking Hot Rods of the 00's.

Each one of you made me smile with your comments and observations on getting in and out of the SSR. I did stay up very late last night, or was that this morning.. lol.. reading previous posts from earlier in 04 to later last year. Seems NO grips to serious about your SSR's and i cant wait for my test drive later today.

I appreciate everyones help on pricing and seat time, i too love to take long trips and i will after my back heals up from surgery early next month.

Im trying to deal here in Dallas with the old Steakly Chevrolet now called Bankston off of Northwest Hwy and Abrams Rd. (for you local guys) he's got like three to choose from two yellow and one silver i believe.

On this returned post to me you mention a lot in Houston with a Red SSR for sale, do you know the number i may call? i really would like a brand new one, but will listen to what this lot says since they've had it so long as you say.

Yellow would be beautiful i know, ive seen them on lots but never walked up and looked inside an SSR.

I will also check with Van Chevrolet as another guy suggested having some 04's left. Im sure i will go with the 04 because of the good deals right now and listen to 03's pricing if any are around for sale.

And thankyou to the person for explaining the "windbreak" i will definetly get one added if its not on the one i buy.

Cant wait for seat time today and checking out the right color.

Thanks again, keep it coming if you think i can now do better than the 34,600.00 pricing.. i believe GMAC has gone back up to 5.9 interest rates for 60 months ... wish i could get that cheaper, i will see.

I'll let everyone know soon.. thanks Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Double-L said:
If I can get in and out of a SSR you will have no trouble with a bad back, I was shot a couple times with a AK-47 and have a spine problem, Had to take the running boards off and then no trouble, I think if I lowered it with a ground force kit it would be even better, If anyone has used one how does it ride
WOW shot not once but a couple of times, im sorry to hear that sir and we thankyou for serving our great country.

Im glad you enjoy your SSR and can get in and out with no problems, i bet lowering these would make the ride a little more bumpy wouldn't it?

thankyou sir.. Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
WOW shot not once but a couple of times, im sorry to hear that sir and we thankyou for serving our great country.

Im glad you enjoy your SSR and can get in and out with no problems, i bet lowering these would make the ride a little more bumpy wouldn't it?

thankyou sir.. Tony
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks - Well I have heard a few say it road better with the ground force lowering kit but I don't know if they were selling it or not, I do see a lot of lowered ones but never had a chance to talk to anyone of them
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,577 Posts
Ground Force springs

Double-L said:
If I can get in and out of a SSR you will have no trouble with a bad back, I was shot a couple times with a AK-47 and have a spine problem, Had to take the running boards off and then no trouble, I think if I lowered it with a ground force kit it would be even better, If anyone has used one how does it ride
I have them installed in my SSR and in my opinion the truck rides much better and handle great. :thumbs
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
z16z06 hey I found an 04 ssr in the paper up here in Lansing for 29,995 you have to have a gm car for gm loyalty but its a hell of a deal on an 04 Glenn Buege Chevy 517-393-7880 hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jimjacks7 said:
z16z06 hey I found an 04 ssr in the paper up here in Lansing for 29,995 you have to have a gm car for gm loyalty but its a hell of a deal on an 04 Glenn Buege Chevy 517-393-7880 hope this helps.

Thats WONDERFUL on pricing.. thanks i will be calling in the morning, do you know what color it was? and did it list the options? thanks, the lowest ive found so far is close to 32 grand.

I do have a GM car with my 95 Impala SS.

Thankyou very much.. Tony
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top