Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new 04 and need a list of items that I should have the dealer check out before I accept the vehicle. Anything you can think of on the 04 that has a history of failure or problems will be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
501 Posts
checklist

Make sure the tire repair /air compressor kit is in its' place behind the driver seat.
Good luck and have fun. You are going to love it.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,194 Posts
Check for....

1) Have someone cycle the top while you watch from first one side and then the other. You are looking to be sure that harnessing doesn't touche or rub. There have been a lot of modifications to the routing of hydraulic lines and wire harnesses in the last 3 model years ('04, '05 and now '06). My '05 doesn't even route through the standard loomin clips. Most are just a reconfiguration of the tie wraps to keep the stuff away from the top while stowed. They will tend to scuff the paint in that case. No big deal if they do rub, just be vigilant and flag it to your dealer. Later is OK too.

2) Bed cover should "pop" and drive to the full open position without having to assist it. Should close smoothly and latch on both sides at the same time. There has been a lot of ignorant salesmen and customers in the last years that have tried to close the lid with the tailgate up. Also look for any damage in the corners on the lid where the latch parts could have been bent.

3) Inside door handles have been an issue on some '03 and '04s. The pivot for the handle has a design improvement that came out in '05. Multiple threads on this subject. You'll know if the handle is failing.... GM is fixing them with either a new bit in the panel, or just replacing the whole panel.

4) Windows should drive firmly into the top seal. Major gaps are unacceptable and there are a number of owners thath have had some sealsreplaced. I think they all leak a little at the 2 seal joints across the top of the window, but I have had convertibles that were MUCH worse than anything on this truck. Don't be surprised on this when you wash it for the first time.

Item 1 is merely keeping up with the TSB trail on the part of the dealer. Items 2 and 3 are a use thing that may have been induced while on the lot. Item 4 is a quirk that can be remedied by re-indexing the window to drive it fully into the seal (Jim Gnitecki posted the fix recently). If that fails, you can have seals replaced at a later time.

No show stoppers that I can see. Get in and fall in love.

Enjoy the ride.

Mike

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Subscribe to the SSR Experience

bills03z said:
Just bought a new 04 and need a list of items that I should have the dealer check out before I accept the vehicle. Anything you can think of on the 04 that has a history of failure or problems will be very much appreciated.
Get a concise analysis of the SSR and what to look for when purchasing one by subscribing to the SSR Experience; great information compiled by a fellow owner....

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5494&highlight=SSR+Experience

1 - 5 of 5 Posts