Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Donny Carlson, and I'm a new SSR owner!

I live in Birmigham, Alabama. I work for the US Postal Service as a letter carrier, and an officer in the union local.

My new SSR is an '05, Black, 1SB with chrome wheels, cargo compartment trim with wood, integrated running boards, body color accent package, cockpit windbreak, towing packacge, and custom floor mats. I ordered up the cargo net kit and an extra clip on cup holder.

I've temporarily installed the car kit for my XM Myfi, but next week will have an autosound installer put in an XM Commander with a PIE direct interface.

I am really loving the SSR, but let me tell you about my trade in, which will also tell you something about me.

I traded in a 2003 Mercury Marauder (300A model, early production). The Marauder was a performance version of the Grand Marquis, with the modular DOHC 4.6L engine from the Mustang Cobra. It had a specially designed Roush intake, up graded brakes and suspension, and rode on 18" polished aluminum wheels with Z rated BF Goodrich tires. The rear end ratio was 3.73.

The Marauder was a great car, roomy, somewhat quick, and had a tuned exhaust that sounded good. Mercury overpriced the car, then dealers charged over sticker. It's performance was not what it should have been (a supercharger was planned but canned by Mercury), got lukewarm press reviews, and as a result, cars sat on dealers lots for months. If you were like me, you snapped one up way below invoice and Ford Credit financed it for 60 months, zero credit. Hard to say no, eh.

The Marauder community is loyal and there are a lot of performance mods for it, as the Mustang shares a lot of componants. Here is a list of things I did to my car:

(from front to rear) Headlights, turn signals, and fog lamps changed out to Sylvania Silver Stars and H1's, Hypertech 180 degree thermostat, Steeda underdrive pulleys, Meziere electric water pump, Naake Suspension QA1 coil over kit with adjustable QA1 shocks (car lowred 1.5"), Addco front sway bar, K&N cold air intake, Ford Racing coil covers, Baer front brake kit with drilled and slotted rotors, Gorilla hex lug nuts, Ford Racing tranny pan (extra capacity), Steeda engine dress up kit (billit aluminum covers for fluid resevoirs, a/c inspection caps, egr covers), PI Stallion torque converter, Metco drive shaft loop, Dynotech metal matrix composite drive shaft, A-pillar triple gauge pod with Autometer D-PIC performance meter, Dakota Digital transmission temp gauge and tire pressure monitoring system, Nordskog performance volt, oil pressure, and coolant temp gauges, Nokia hands-free car kit, XM-Commander, polished aluminum door lock pins and surrounds, both A-pillars wrapped in interior leather, hard wired Valentine 1 radar detector, Formula 1 35% window tint, all cabin speakers replaced with Concept speakers, Concept amp driving a 10" kenwood subwoofer mounted in a custom built Wavebox, Ford Racing cobra shorty headers with Magnaflow high flow cats, mandril bent custom X pipe and exhaust pipes, Magflow mufflers and Megs delete exhaust tips, Addco rear sway bar, Metco billit aluminum upper and lower control arms, Metco billit alumin Watts link, QA1 adjustable rear shocks, 4:10 gears, Ford Racing rear end cover with stud kit, custom Mercury Head badging to replace front and rear waterfall badges, custom S-55 badging, chrome skull license plate screws with red LED eyes, polished aluminum bumper cover inserts.

Whew! You can imagine I was very uneasy trading in project car like this, but my selling dealer gave me an ACV trade allowance $4,000 above book value for the car because of the mod work.... and because someone at the dealership wanted to buy it. This amount didn't cover my costs of the mods, true, but anybody who has dropped a load into a project car knows you take it in the shorts when it's time to sell it to raise money for another project, unless you're lucky enough to own a early 70's Mustang, Camaro, or MOPAR.

So, here I am. The Marauder croud is into drag racing their cars, and it's fun to point out to them that the SSR right off the dealer's lot has more horse power and is faster 0-60 and the quarter mile than their MM',s even modifiied and with a NOS shot. (My MM dyno'd - with all the performance mods - at 294 RWHP) and SSR's have great low end torque. The MM's are upper RPM range torque.

:cool

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Welcome aboard! :thumbs :seeya

You've found a great place to meet fellow SSR owners and learn A LOT about the truck. You will LOVE the SSR! :party :party

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Welcome to the family, and I say rub it in their faces every chance you get!!! Can't wait to see what you do with the SSR :thumbs

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,187 Posts
Glad to have you

Donny,

Welcome to our family. You will find an incredible variety of loose nuts here. We all do love our trucks, sometimes more than our spouses want.

Technical stuff is available here, as we have a pretty good cross-section of gear heads and a few key individuals that work for GM and are willing to help occasionally with part numbers and service bulletin advisories.

If you look at the threads about the "SSR Homecoming" that the Lansing Craft Centre put on for us in August, you will find some interesting photos. We are hoping that there will be another next year, so more of us can attend.

You will definitely be getting a lot more attention on the street with the SSR than the Marauder. Enjoy the ride.

Mike

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, life is good.

My Marauder buddies fall into two groups: Those that think my new SSR is cool and love it, and those that hate it. Generally, the haters are GM haters as well, so whaddya gonna do?

The Marauder board has about the same number of members as SSR Fanatic (they get a lot of tourists from the Crown Vic croud... and man, there's a LOT of CV guys out there), but unlike here, they tend to use it as a general interest board and post a lot of off topic stuff. Generally speaking, the Marauder has a cult following and some of the owners are pretty "enthused."

I spent a lot of money on my MM, and it was a great car. I still miss it. Kinda. AutoMeter just sent me a replacement gauge I had sent in for repair just before buying the SSR, which is a bit sad. The gauge never worked right at install, so there was some bucks down the toilet. (The gauge was EXpensive, too, $179.)
I owe it to my selling dealer since there was an empty gauge hole in the triple pillar pod when I traded it.

The suspension mods I did to the MM made it handle very well, tight and flat. To be honest, the SSR is not bad, comparitively. In the real world, I can rip around interstate junctions and ramps pretty close to the MM in speed. I never autocrossed the MM, so the mods were probably overkill. And I see Hocthkis makes a sway bar kit for the SSR.

There are places to go with the SSR, mods that can be done. I rather like my SSR as she is, I mean she's pretty much a factory street rod, something you'd get if you let Chip Foose design a car for dealership sale. Actually, he does, along with Year One, only it costs $125,000 bux.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts