Dicktator
DONE!
Make sure everything is
reconnected and bolted in place.
Radiator hose on shelf.
Connector to fan secure.
Air Sensor plug is secure.
Start engine, wait for radiator to
reach temp, fan will come on. WHAT TEMP>???
Quick check, turn on A/C, turn on
Recycle, fan will run LOW speed.

i let car idle till it was at 210 fan had not kicked on yet
sent a message to mike
i turned on recycle fan and radiator fan turned on
what i need to know at what temp. does the fan turn on??

thank you
Benny B

·
Registered
188 Posts
From a post by Mike in AZ in another thread:

Circuit #1 is coolant temp. With the A/C off, the main fan will go to low speed at 226F and then shut off when the temp drops to 219. If the low speed operation does not provide enough airflow and the temp continues to rise, the main fan will go to high speed at 235F. As the temp comes down, the fan will go to low at 226 and then off at 219. This is where your temperature swings come from......

Circuit #2 is A/C operation. Ignoring the coolant temp side..... When the engine is warmed up and the A/C is on, the main fan will run at low speed....100% of the time. If the system pressures get too far out of whack, the fan will go to high speed. There is also a "max cooling" function for when recirculate is selected. This drives the cooling fan to high speed, regardless of system pressures. The A/C circuit is disabled above 45mph, as there is more natural airflow through the radiator than the fan will move.

The typical experience across the fleet is to see temperature swings in stop-and-go traffic with the top down and the A/C off. You can solve this by selecting A/C to the on position and putting a little cool air onto your feet and hands. IT WILL STOP THE TEMPERATURE SWINGS.... because the fan is going to be running.......

On a side note..... if you are driving at 30 mph, you will have enough natural airflow to keep the engine cool, even with the A/C on. There is no real work being done at that speed and the airflow is adequate. What it WON'T do is cool off a hot system at that speed. You need about 40mph to do that.

Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Bad is Good
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From a post by Mike in AZ in another thread:

Circuit #1 is coolant temp. With the A/C off, the main fan will go to low speed at 226F and then shut off when the temp drops to 219. If the low speed operation does not provide enough airflow and the temp continues to rise, the main fan will go to high speed at 235F. As the temp comes down, the fan will go to low at 226 and then off at 219. This is where your temperature swings come from......

Circuit #2 is A/C operation. Ignoring the coolant temp side..... When the engine is warmed up and the A/C is on, the main fan will run at low speed....100% of the time. If the system pressures get too far out of whack, the fan will go to high speed. There is also a "max cooling" function for when recirculate is selected. This drives the cooling fan to high speed, regardless of system pressures. The A/C circuit is disabled above 45mph, as there is more natural airflow through the radiator than the fan will move.

The typical experience across the fleet is to see temperature swings in stop-and-go traffic with the top down and the A/C off. You can solve this by selecting A/C to the on position and putting a little cool air onto your feet and hands. IT WILL STOP THE TEMPERATURE SWINGS.... because the fan is going to be running.......

On a side note..... if you are driving at 30 mph, you will have enough natural airflow to keep the engine cool, even with the A/C on. There is no real work being done at that speed and the airflow is adequate. What it WON'T do is cool off a hot system at that speed. You need about 40mph to do that.

Hope this helps,

Mike
thanks Mike
i looked for a hour for that, i new i had read it somewhere
just wanted to make sure
my truck would never go above 210 with old fan just felt stupid watching car idle up and impatient and didnt want it to go past the 210
i turned ac on and it did turn on
so i didnt screw up the install
but when your wife buys you the new Mike fan. you better install it
you can never go wrong with proven insurance

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,006 Posts
dang it
i feel real stupid now
i need to do better searches

love you guys and gals out there
i will sit in the corner for awhile and think about what i did.LOL

Benny B
:glol:glol:glol

You can come out of the corner now.....

Thanks for the chuckle.... And thanks for covering my back, Bruce.

:smile2:

Mikey

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a local performance shop reset my fan "on" settings to 190 on low speed and 205 on high speed. They only charged me $40.00 to change the settings. My temp gauge has never been higher than 210 since the changes were made even on a 98 degree summer day.
This was done after I installed Mikes fan, a really nice product.

I also have a Bluetooth obdll scan tool on my phone. It shows that my actual cooling temp is at 198-200 when the factory gauge shows 210

1 - 10 of 10 Posts