Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
ChriSSR
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I open up the dash to remove the cluster for repair, I have decided to update the radio and also add a rear camera. Two required inputs are: Park brake to show no motion for safety & Backup Lights to trigger the camera feed to the display. Any experience with the easiest place to pick these up & the color code of the wire?

The after market sells a gizmo to wire in and fake out the park brake signal. Any opinion on using these?

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
I installed a Kenwood head unit. I bought a bypass module for the parking brake connection and it works perfectly. you don't get locked out of screen functions while driving.
The back up light power can be obtained from the back up lights when you install the camera, the wiring is right behind the area where the camera will be installed. open up the harness to one of the BU connectors, Light Green is +, Black is Ground.
Run the Camera Wires along the passenger side frame rail and zip tie it to the existing harness under there. There is a rubber plug under the pass seat, cut a slit in it, run the seat full forward pull up the carpet and feed the wire through and re-seal it with RTV. I then ran mine under the door sill cover, behind the kick panel and up into the dash. Take extreme care when removing the inner sill cover as the clips break easily.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Safe.......

If you want to stay safe and legal remove the passenger side cup holder, move the passenger seat forward. Remove the cover to the fuse panel. Reach forward, or use a mirror, you will find the brake wire (if I remember right it is blue). I removed the water fall, the top and left side of the console before I discovered the wire is about 2-3 inches forward of the fuse access panel.

Jack

Reactions: CPFriend
1 - 3 of 3 Posts