Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After way too long, I am finally able to offer a new set of SSR heater hoses. This is a brand new pair of molded heater hoses that directly replaces the OEM units that GM discontinued in 2015. When last seen available, the combination of 15299670 and 15128104 were selling for more than $275..... that was absolutely ridiculous.

After lots of prototype work with my own SSR as the test installation and two separate iterations of molded hoses from Gates engineering, the new design is now in production.

The new design turns outboard immediately at the firewall, goes across the A/C lines and then down. The lines then run forward past the front strut tower and are secured away from any sharp edges on the frame with a padded stainless clamp on a stainless "Z" bracket mounted to the strut tower. The "T" in the one line is now located directly below the surge tank, instead of way forward and doubling back. This results in a much cleaner installation that is tucked neatly out of sight, since the hoses no longer come forward and then across the ignition coils and there is no interference with the surge tank hose and the A/C line.

All of the prototype work is complete and the "First Article" from the production molds is now in service on my SSR. The fit is amazing. The best way for me to show these hoses is on a mock-up on the workbench. See attached photos. Once installed, it is really hard to photograph the hoses themselves. I will be asking for someone with a yellow truck to provide a photo or two for the web page.

The first full production run of 50 hose sets are in process and due to ship from Gates to me on September 14. I will begin shipping on September 21.

I am accepting early orders on line, so please feel free to order your set in advance. Here is the link to the web store:
SSR Heater Hose Set

Thanks for your patience as I worked through this. It was painful.....

Regards,

Mike

Photos 1 & 2 are the OEM hoses on the bench
Photos 3 & 4 are the new hoses on the bench
Photo 5 is a poor picture of the firewall hose routing on my SSR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Thanks Mike! Placing my order now.

To anyone planning to order these, if you don' already have Mike's coolant tank, I highly recommend it. You can't see (or is very difficult to see) the coolant level in the stock tank. Mike's replacement is clearer, so it's easy to see the coolant level. As long as you're messing with the coolant system, for $35 you can upgrade your coolant tank at the same time. My .02.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Mike,
I just placed my order as preventive maintenance. My hoses still seem to be fine but then again they are 12 years old. Thanks Mike for all your efforts with designing and putting it into production. I see you are starting out with 50 sets which is probably the minimum order from Gates. I hope all the Fanatics support you and place an order now even if they don't need yet. Please keep coming up with replacement parts that are not available anymore.
David

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Mike
Great JOB! Now I will place this order ASAP so that I can change out of the hoses. (Radiator hoses that you shipped to me earlier this month have been waiting while I figures out the heater hoses.)

·
AZ SSR Daily Driver
486 Posts
Mike,
I just placed my order as preventive maintenance. My hoses still seem to be fine but then again they are 12 years old. Thanks Mike for all your efforts with designing and putting it into production. I see you are starting out with 50 sets which is probably the minimum order from Gates. I hope all the Fanatics support you and place an order now even if they don't need yet. Please keep coming up with replacement parts that are not available anymore.
David
Agreed! Just replaced my leaking tank with Mikey's tank...very nice! Now put me in for an order of hoses Mike!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Thanks Mike for all the hard work in getting this to production.
just ordered mine, and im going to go back and order tank.

Thanks again Larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
grizzleybear
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing