Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
From Black to Blue
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the next 30 days I will trade in my BMW Z4 and own a new SSR. Before I make any mistakes that I'll regret later, I've a couple of questions for those interested in responding.

I'm being offered a 2005 model at a significant discount to a 2006. What differences are there between the two model years, cosmetic or mechanical??

Are there any 'must have' or 'must avoid' options? Which ones? Why?

Any other advice supportive before I write a check would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
No real differences between '05 and '06 except a couple of different paint options and base pricing (06s a bit cheaper). I would not get the gauge package as the gauges are useless and don't always work properly. If you're going to use the bed as a "real truck", don't get the carpeted bed package. Also, if you don't care about power seats, 6 disc in dash Bose stereo or Homelink, skip the 1SB package. I believe running boards are a must as they look nice (my opinion) and help keep debris from shooting off your tires and marring the paint. Also, I have a '04 for sale with less than 1000 miles that I can probably sell you much cheaper than the '05 if you're interested. It's Red with running boards, 1sb package and carpeted bed.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
416 Posts
The only cosmetic change of which I'm aware is the pair of silly little GM Mark of Excellence badges (about 1" square) on the bottom of the front fenders, just behind the front wheels. They can probably be pulled off fairly easily, without causing any damage to the paint finish.

I agree with "shrtdog" that the auxilliary gauges are (next to) useless, but they sure look cool. Before we bought our used '05 (in July), we had successfully negotiated on a new one, and had discounted the cost of the aux gauges completely out of the purchase price. We told the salesman at the dealer that we didn't want them (actually, we just didn't want to pay for them), and he said they couldn't be removed without leaving an unsightly hole...

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,113 Posts
I just came out of an '05 after 2700 miles and into an '06. The torque converter in the '06 has a slightly higher stall speed (about 150 - 200 rpm, I think) and the programming of the downshift is a little different. The '06 will downshift a little later than the '05, with an unlock of the converter and use of the engine torque to accelerate. This produces a slightly different driving "feel" when you drive them both (alternately back and forth) as I did for a week or so. The '05 tends to downshift a little sooner for the same amount of accelerator pedal travel and uses the engine rpm to its advantage. Beyond personal preference, I see no advantage to either one or the other.

Although they are not quite the same, you would be hard pressed to measure a differnce outside of a subjective "feel".

The '06 has the Outside Air Temp displayed in the Driver Information Center in a digital format, where the '05 does not.... This is far more useful than the analog gauge on the floor available for both years. I'd pass on the gauge package, especially if buying an '06.

Hope this helps,

Mike

I'll let some of the other members weigh in on your other questions.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There are also some minor improvements for the '06 6 speed's engine. Intake manifold plus something else related? Will you opt for 6 gears vs. 4?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Options

You may not want the GM windbreak either. Check one out and then check out the Windsuppssr sold by rhobbel here (you can do a search).

·
From Black to Blue
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
windbreaks are always a hassle on two seaters it seems. .I went through 3 different ones on the Z4 before I found one I was satisfied with.

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts