Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

My wife and I just purchased our first SSR today. It's a red 2004 with 12k miles in near new condition. We are so excited to get it and have already enjoyed the top down tonight.

Question for everyone..

While in the drive through I noticed the temp gauge creep up to around 235. I read that's normal here, but I don't like it. It did go down, but I would rather it not get over 225ish especially since it isn't even hot here now.

Would everyone recommend the Diablo tuner to reset the fan perimeters? Is this the best move before just upgrading the fan?

All fluids were just changed last year including a coolant flush.

Thanks in advance, and nice to meet everyone!

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello everyone!

My wife and I just purchased our first SSR today. It's a red 2004 with 12k miles in near new condition. We are so excited to get it and have already enjoyed the top down tonight.

Question for everyone..

While in the drive through I noticed the temp gauge creep up to around 235. I read that's normal here, but I don't like it. It did go down, but I would rather it not get over 225ish especially since it isn't even hot here now.

Would everyone recommend the Diablo tuner to reset the fan perimeters? Is this the best move before just upgrading the fan?

All fluids were just changed last year including a coolant flush.

Thanks in advance, and nice to meet everyone!

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
Your 2004 SSR should stabilize at 200 to 205 when you are on the highway. This is extremely important because the cooling fan is turned off by the computer at speeds above 35mph. If you have a higher temp than 205 at 40 mph and above, You have a cooling system problem that is NOT the cooling fan.

If the AC is off, the main fan is turned onto low speed at 226F. It will then turn off when the temp drops to 219. High speed comes on at 235F. If your SSR is going to 235 before the fan comes on, you may have a problem with the low speed circuit in the fan. You can check this........

Turning on the AC will get the cooling fan to run on low speed as soon as the compressor brings the system up to ”normal” pressure. I believe the threshold is 200 psi. If your low speed circuit in the fan has failed, the fan will go to high speed when the head pressure reaches 250psi. You will know this is happening, because the fan will cycle between high speed and off..... it’s not supposed to do that.

You may also have a blown 60 amp fuse. Check your fuse block. It is on the forward, inboard corner of the underhood fuse panel.

No, I don’t think the Diablo tuners are necessary. Al you should have to do to control your fan is turn on the AC......

Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,401 Posts

CONGRATS and WELCOME . . . from Southern Arizona.

Just curious . . . do you know if you have the OEM Fan or an Upgrade?

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your 2004 SSR should stabilize at 200 to 205 when you are on the highway. This is extremely important because the cooling fan is turned off by the computer at speeds above 35mph. If you have a higher temp than 205 at 40 mph and above, You have a cooling system problem that is NOT the cooling fan.

If the AC is off, the main fan is turned onto low speed at 226F. It will then turn off when the temp drops to 219. High speed comes on at 235F. If your SSR is going to 235 before the fan comes on, you may have a problem with the low speed circuit in the fan. You can check this........

Turning on the AC will get the cooling fan to run on low speed as soon as the compressor brings the system up to ”normal” pressure. I believe the threshold is 200 psi. If your low speed circuit in the fan has failed, the fan will go to high speed when the head pressure reaches 250psi. You will know this is happening, because the fan will cycle between high speed and off..... it’s not supposed to do that.

You may also have a blown 60 amp fuse. Check your fuse block. It is on the forward, inboard corner of the underhood fuse panel.

No, I don’t think the Diablo tuners are necessary. Al you should have to do to control your fan is turn on the AC......

Hope this helps,

Mike
Thanks Mike. It actually is staying at around 205 when driving. It only got warm when I was in a drive through for a couple minutes, it went to 235 but then cooled. It's only my first night with the truck so I got nervous haha!

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fan kicked on. Just seemed a little high as I have another chevy truck with an ls motor in it, and it won't let it go over 220 period. No matter what. Just wanted to be sure this was normal operation for the ssr.
What caused it to cool????
F

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Mike speaks from many years of experience. But mine kept reading high after running his trap line. Ended up being bad stepper motor at the guage. So if you still have issues after doing his prescribed maintenance, stepper motors could be at play.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
The fan kicked on. Just seemed a little high as I have another chevy truck with an ls motor in it, and it won't let it go over 220 period. No matter what. Just wanted to be sure this was normal operation for the ssr.

F
OK...... next time you are in a drive-through With the AC turned off, you can watch to see the temp start rising...... When it does start to move, turn on the AC. Just to speed setting “1” with the air blowing across your knuckles or onto your feet. You should see the temp drop back down to 200 - 205....

Mike

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike speaks from many years of experience. But mine kept reading high after running his trap line. Ended up being bad stepper motor at the guage. So if you still have issues after doing his prescribed maintenance, stepper motors could be at play.
will check it out. I do know the instrument panel was just completely rebuilt though so not likely, but good to keep an eye on. Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK...... next time you are in a drive-through With the AC turned off, you can watch to see the temp start rising...... When it does start to move, turn on the AC. Just to speed setting “1” with the air blowing across your knuckles or onto your feet. You should see the temp drop back down to 200 - 205....

Mike
I’ll give this a try tomorrow. Fingers crossed !

·
SSR Believer
1,564 Posts
👋 Hi and welcome from the Northwest's playground!

Congrats on your new ride! There's a huge community of owners here that can help you find parts, troubleshoot issues and otherwise offer great support. Others will chime in with tips and tricks. In the meantime, here are a few links that you'll find invaluable:

You've already met @Mike in AZ - He carries a large number of replacement and aftermarket parts and accessories. BTW, the OEM fan will fail sooner and later. If it's not already there, I'd seriously consider buying Mike's aftermarket fan, a must have. ( A very easy DIY install, check the SSR video link below).

Trouble shooting and DIY repairs from @Dicktator

SSR DIY and other videos from @shiftz33:

SSR Trivia

Tell us a little more about yourself and your new-to-you SSR when you have time.

In the meantime, enjoy your PermaGrin!

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Welcome from Middle Tennessee, Murfreesboro. What part of Tennessee you from? If you live nearby I can look at it and help you figure out some things. I've been through all these scenarios, new fan, thermostat, coolant tank, heater hoses, water pump, wiring. By the way how many miles is on your R.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Welcome from Middle Tennessee, Murfreesboro. What part of Tennessee you from? If you live nearby I can look at it and help you figure out some things. I've been through all these scenarios, new fan, thermostat, coolant tank, heater hoses, water pump, wiring. By the way how many miles is on your R.
First post says 12,000 miles but wonder if antifreeze has been changed as well in the system? Sometimes on the low miles trucks people think the antifreeze is still good by miles, but it degrades with age and should be replaced every 5 years according to GM and the antifreeze manufacturers.

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
617 Posts
Welcome from the Old Line State of Maryland. :giggle:

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello there! I’m in the Bellevue area near Nashville. It has 12k miles yes, I’d love any advice I can get. I’m in it for the long haul with this truck as my wife and I have wanted one since they first came out.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts