Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
First post says 12,000 miles but wonder if antifreeze has been changed as well in the system? Sometimes on the low miles trucks people think the antifreeze is still good by miles, but it degrades with age and should be replaced every 5 years according to GM and the antifreeze manufacturers.
Antifreeze was flushed and changed last September.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Good deal. I have talked to a couple guys who haven't and when I have said something, they thought it was mileage that would need to cause it to be changed as opposed to time. You are in with a good bunch in TN. Welcome to the group from St Louis.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,900 Posts
A big hearty welcome from Sturgis South Dakota.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
Hello there! I’m in the Bellevue area near Nashville. It has 12k miles yes, I’d love any advice I can get. I’m in it for the long haul with this truck as my wife and I have wanted one since they first came out.
Again welcome to the SSR family, yes we are a family. First of all remember "RED turns HEADS".you're going to have some people on here that's going to try and tell you that REDLINE isn't the sexiest or the fastest SSR. Pay no attention to them they'll get over the fact that you have one. The word "PERMAGRIN" will be in your vocabulary a lot, that's a permanent grin as you're driving down the road and people are looking at you, pointing at you and waving at you. I'll send you a conversation (tap on the little square box and in the middle conversation will come up) with my home phone number, you can text me or send me a message. We will get together soon and try and figure out this overheating problem. Robert (SWTRYD).

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,321 Posts
Welcome from Ohio the home of the 2021 International SSR Rally! 😉

Reactions: Firetruck

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,225 Posts
@the_real_camby, Looking at your and Mike's posts, I think you are in good shape and appears cooling is operating normal. Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Then go to the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. New Member Section

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,225 Posts
@Stlhotrod, I tried 2 times to delete it after I got to Page 2 and saw his answer.

Nick

·
Trygodfirst
950 Posts
Your 2004 SSR should stabilize at 200 to 205 when you are on the highway. This is extremely important because the cooling fan is turned off by the computer at speeds above 35mph. If you have a higher temp than 205 at 40 mph and above, You have a cooling system problem that is NOT the cooling fan.

If the AC is off, the main fan is turned onto low speed at 226F. It will then turn off when the temp drops to 219. High speed comes on at 235F. If your SSR is going to 235 before the fan comes on, you may have a problem with the low speed circuit in the fan. You can check this........

Turning on the AC will get the cooling fan to run on low speed as soon as the compressor brings the system up to ”normal” pressure. I believe the threshold is 200 psi. If your low speed circuit in the fan has failed, the fan will go to high speed when the head pressure reaches 250psi. You will know this is happening, because the fan will cycle between high speed and off..... it’s not supposed to do that.

You may also have a blown 60 amp fuse. Check your fuse block. It is on the forward, inboard corner of the underhood fuse panel.

No, I don’t think the Diablo tuners are necessary. Al you should have to do to control your fan is turn on the AC......

Hope this helps,

Mike
Awesome information

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Real Camby first welcome to the forum from east Tn .I had the same problem with my 04 when I lived in Florida here's what I did replaced lower spoiler to get more air into engine compartment, flushed cooling system , replaced thermostat make sure you get the right one, replaced hoses and cooling reservoir at same time, replaced fan as OEM fan is junk to begin with, and then had my truck tuned so fan settings were set lower to turn on as stated before. Problem fixed now even running thru the mountains here my temp seldom gets above 215, most of parts bought from Mike at SE it adds up but if you chip away at it little by little you will be better off. Check Dicktator's library out on things to get taken care of so your truck is more dependable and you will enjoy it more.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
I introduced myself via conversation. This evening he called me and said his new (to him) R wouldn't turn over. Told him about fuse box and ignition switch. Told him to let it sit and see if it would start after cooling down. Couple of hours later it started. Called Mike (Dragon2u) he informed me that 03 &04 didn't have problem with fuse box. We are going to replace ignition switch on Saturday.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
43,740 Posts
Welcome From Western Pa !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I introduced myself via conversation. This evening he called me and said his new (to him) R wouldn't turn over. Told him about fuse box and ignition switch. Told him to let it sit and see if it would start after cooling down. Couple of hours later it started. Called Mike (Dragon2u) he informed me that 03 &04 didn't have problem with fuse box. We are going to replace ignition switch on Saturday.
hoping that works! Drove it after it started, parked it, and it started hot. so weird.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Figured out the cooling situation. The cooling fan bit the dust just like you all said it would. Day two of ownership. yikes. Thankfully caught it before the thing completely overheated. @SWT RYD is graciously bringing his original fan to install and help me switch out the ignition switch as well on Saturday. Gotta recover for a moment on the purchase of the SSR and then I'm gonna order the Simple Engineering fan and do a custom tune on the truck. Hopefully things get better from here!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Figured out the cooling situation. The cooling fan bit the dust just like you all said it would. Day two of ownership. yikes. Thankfully caught it before the thing completely overheated. @SWT RYD is graciously bringing his original fan to install and help me switch out the ignition switch as well on Saturday. Gotta recover for a moment on the purchase of the SSR and then I'm gonna order the Simple Engineering fan and do a custom tune on the truck. Hopefully things get better from here!
I bought my Aqua Blur from Arizona and when I went to pick it up the fan was dead. Luckily I made it to Mike's and he loaned me a fan to get back home with. Also look at the plug on it, they have been known to melt the connection. Mine did that as well. Again Mike had the parts to get me back on the road and I swapped it out as soon as I got home with one of his I already had.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Don't get down Camby everyone has had the same type of problems pop up with their SSR's over the years that's why this forum and the Fanatics are a great bunch of people to keep are trucks running, we all know most Chevy dealerships are useless in fixing these trucks.
Here's a few more things that should be addressed to make for a more dependable truck (1) lower shift linkage connector replace with Dicktators bolt, (2) heat shield for break module,(3) radiator support original one plastic new one steel, (4) bulb in trunk lid, (5) ignition switch, (6) radiator fan. Your already looking at replacing two of the most important things on your list the next two things would be the lower shift linkage bolt because the original is plastic becomes brittle and breaks and the heat shield Mike at SE should have all these parts.
I didn't even know about the Fanatics till after I bought my truck and was lucky enough to find out about and live close enough to Dicktator and have him go over my truck telling me what to replace and look for. Like you I thought what have I gotten myself in for buying it but after taking care of these problems you can't beat the feeling of running down the road with the top up or down, just chip away at the list also if you see this before SWT RYD gets there have him check it out you might already have some of these things addressed already.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Don't get down Camby everyone has had the same type of problems pop up with their SSR's over the years that's why this forum and the Fanatics are a great bunch of people to keep are trucks running, we all know most Chevy dealerships are useless in fixing these trucks.
Here's a few more things that should be addressed to make for a more dependable truck (1) lower shift linkage connector replace with Dicktators bolt, (2) heat shield for break module,(3) radiator support original one plastic new one steel, (4) bulb in trunk lid, (5) ignition switch, (6) radiator fan. Your already looking at replacing two of the most important things on your list the next two things would be the lower shift linkage bolt because the original is plastic becomes brittle and breaks and the heat shield Mike at SE should have all these parts.
I didn't even know about the Fanatics till after I bought my truck and was lucky enough to find out about and live close enough to Dicktator and have him go over my truck telling me what to replace and look for. Like you I thought what have I gotten myself in for buying it but after taking care of these problems you can't beat the feeling of running down the road with the top up or down, just chip away at the list also if you see this before SWT RYD gets there have him check it out you might already have some of these things addressed already.
Trying to stay positive! I love the thing so much, just wanna be able to enjoy it!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts