Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2006 SSR and the rear deck lid does not pop up when activated. Is the problem the struts? When you lift the lid it stays up by itself.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,351 Posts
If you try the Advanced Search in the Tools drop down (red bar above) there is lots of information about this but the simple answer is the struts are probably bad and need to be replaced. Replacements from simple-engineering.com will out perform the originals. GM direct replacements will probably not do much better than current. Welcome to the SSR Information Center (SSRFanatic.com) and PermaGrin.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,293 Posts
Welcome from Cincinnati! You have found the perfect website for your new toy! These guys here know everything you will ever need to know about your R!

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Congratulations and Welcome!!

Here is a link to a shared information page provided by one of our members "Dictator"

It's a "One Drive" page so you'll need a login.

BTY, did anyone mention Mike at Simple Engineering for the struts your probably need? LOL!!!

:ssr

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,213 Posts
08Avalanche, I see you have been a member a while, BUT---Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you are on the BEST FORUM ever! Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,345 Posts
WELCOME, Avalanche . . . from Southern Arizona.

As for your Rear Deck Struts . . . I believe they all "poop out" after so many years. Mike replaced mine a few years ago and his seem to work better than the OEMs did on day one.

Once again . . . WELCOME and Good Luck.

! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers !​

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,888 Posts
A big hearty welcome from Sunny Sturgis South Dakota!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,908 Posts
I just purchased a 2006 SSR and the rear deck lid does not pop up when activated. Is the problem the struts? When you lift the lid it stays up by itself.
It sounds like you can hear it release but it only raises 1/4 inch or so - if so it is the struts
If it isn't releasing at all there is a different problem.

Personally, I have a set of new struts sitting on my shelf - I actually prefer the short release - lift it manually (I assume your struts hold the cargo deck up)
The replacement struts pop it up 12" or so - they also lift it more vertical.

The original struts were designed to operate as they do, just release - question of preference

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Welcome from Northeast PA.
:wink2:

Where about in Northeast PA are you located?

:00000732::cheer:

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
If you try the Advanced Search in the Tools drop down (red bar above) there is lots of information about this but the simple answer is the struts are probably bad and need to be replaced. Replacements from simple-engineering.com will out perform the originals. GM direct replacements will probably not do much better than current. Welcome to the SSR Information Center (SSRFanatic.com) and PermaGrin.
Mikes struts (simple engineering) work great. I replaced the lid and top struts. Everything works great and my top does not fall when it close to the bottom. Opens and closes smoothly.
:smile2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts