Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New SSR Road Trip

Picking my 2005 Aqua Blur 6 speed from a dealer in Aburn IL, near St. Louis, and driving it back to N. Calif. Stopping at Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone and Reno along the way. I'll take some pics and give a travel report as we go. Any "break-in" suggestions?

·
OP
8,226 Posts
JOHN317 said:
Picking my 2005 Aqua Blur 6 speed from a dealer in Aburn IL, near St. Louis, and driving it back to N. Calif. Stopping at Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone and Reno along the way. I'll take some pics and give a travel report as we go. Any "break-in" suggestions?
Take it easy for 500 miles and change your oil/filter when you get home to CA. Have your tranny fully flushed and filter changed shortly after that.
Then you can follow regular schedule. This gets all the factory stuff out and also any debris from mechanics flushed out as well.

After that first 500 miles, open her up and have fun, good country to be driving an SSR through.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
John317: TRY to NOT keep the engine at constant revs for the first 500 miles. I know this is a pain when traveling on an interstate, AND acclerating and decelerating will wreck your gas mileage for that 500 miles, BUT keeping a new engine at constant rpm for that break-in period is very bad for it.

Whe I broke mine in, unfortunately on a cross country trip undertaken 2 days after buying it, I consciously acclerated from 55 to 75 mph and then coasted back down to my cruising speed of 65. I would let it cruise for a minute or so, but then coated it down to 55 and repeated the accleration/coasting back down routine.

Windy roads create their own automatic need for speed changes, and are more fun!

The cyclic applying of power and then cooloff periods are GREAT for break-in, if you have the patience.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One Babe..Hmmm

Thanks for the advice, especially the "one Babe" tip. Since mine is a 6spd I can see how that could lead to "body damage". John317

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
John317,

On your way to Mt. Rushmore, you might want to stray a few miles out of your way to Hot Springs, SD. We have the Mammoth Site here and it is really interesting to view. Hot Springs is about 60 miles south of Mt. Rushmore and I have free tickets for the site. If you are interested, PM me for information. Have a safe trip home and enjoy yourself.

By the way, this is my first post. :seeya

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Buffalo: And a good first post it is, helping out a fellow SSR owner! :)

Jim G

Thanks Jim G. I don't mean to hijack this post but if any other SSR owners are coming to the Black Hills this summer I would also extend the same courtesy of free tickets to the Mammoth Site while I still have them. I am not currently an owner of an SSR, but I am looking. :cheers

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buffalo, thanks for the tip. I saw that in the aaa tour book and was impressed. We are on a fairly tight sched, but if it looks like we have time I'll PM you from our hotel.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Buffalo: You will find a lot of people on this site willing and able to help answer your questions about SSR ownership, and many more to help you with post-purchase questions and concerns. This is a GREAT website with great people! :)

Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions.

Jim G

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Buffalo: You will find a lot of people on this site willing and able to help answer your questions about SSR ownership, and many more to help you with post-purchase questions and concerns. This is a GREAT website with great people! :)

Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions.

Jim G
I actually have been lurking and reading threads on this site for over a year and have gained considerable insight into the SSR by viewing your threads as well as those of other members. I hope to be able to say that I am now the proud owner of an SSR soon. :ssr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts