Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:|

Well,

having reviewed several posts on the matter of tires and brand/size choices, I finally landed on selecting the front size as 275/40ZR19 and the rear as 315/35ZR20.

First brand choice is Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I have an (out the door) price of $1625 for those....(His shop does not have the Road Force balancer, next model down:frown2: It seems I could get a $70 rebate if I sign up for this deal by Thursday.

Second brand choice would be the same sizes in the Continenal DWS06s. Have not yet asked for an out the door price on those.

Sure looks like the Michelins are the priciest........Have those of you that have gone with Michelins had that kind of $$$ pricing. I know I could go with other brands and save a few hundred......But I'm down to fish or cut bait time. Whaddaya think.:surprise:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,187 Posts
If you are interested in matching the sidewall height of the front and rear tires, I would highly recommend you consider using 255/40-19 on the front with the 315/35-20 rears. It's really nice.

I also recommend the Continental Extreme Contact DW series tires in this size instead of the DWS........... Continentals acronyms are Dry, Wet, Snow. I don't do snow and the DW series grips like they are glued to the road.

My two cents.....

Mike

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
Actually the Continental Extreme Contact DW series do pretty well in the snow also.

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Tire prices.

Check Tire Rack.

Some dealers will match their price + freight. The local independent dealer here generally does if his supplier has them.

I just looked and the Michelin PSS were about $1,400 in K1 rears and about $1,470 in K2 delivered set. (Plus sales tax). They usually include two year road hazard.

The fronts in 255/40/19 are about the same price as Continentals at about $295 delivered. (Plus sales tax) On special.

The rears in 315/35/20 are about $395 delivered in K1 and $430 in the K2's. (Plus sales tax) I like the K2 because of initial tread depth.

The price difference is in the rears between the Continentals and the Michelin PSS. The fronts are practically the same.

FYO

Dave

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,068 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 315/35ZR20 (110Y) XL K1 - $990 Out the door Mar 2018 (last week) at Discount Tire, with all the other fees, mounting & balancing, certificates, etc.
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/40ZR19 (105Y) XL - $784 Out the door Aug 2017 at Discount Tire, with all the other fees, mounting & balancing, certificates, etc.

I hear the others, @Mike in AZ and @dave rasmussen on 255/40-19, I'm sure they look nice and are a good choice. According to Tirerrack they are 100Y, and have 0.9" less tread width and 0.6" less diameter than what I have. I consciously chose wider and a freckle taller to fill the well more.

Since yours is lowered an inch, less may be more.

Your tires, your choice.

- Robert
:silver:

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
If you are interested in matching the sidewall height of the front and rear tires, I would highly recommend you consider using 255/40-19 on the front with the 315/35-20 rears. It's really nice.

I also recommend the Continental Extreme Contact DW series tires in this size instead of the DWS........... Continentals acronyms are Dry, Wet, Snow. I don't do snow and the DW series grips like they are glued to the road.

My two cents.....

Mike
Your two cents is good advice. t-dog :ssr Bud's Tire price "out the door" is $500 for the 2 front ones and $650 for the 2 rear tires or a total of $1,150 for all 4 including a Front End Alignment. I could probably get them put on my SSR for a Thousand Dollars plus a Front End Alignment ($64.99). Bob

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts

Well,

having reviewed several posts on the matter of tires and brand/size choices, I finally landed on selecting the front size as 275/40ZR19 and the rear as 315/35ZR20.

First brand choice is Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I have an (out the door) price of $1625 for those....(His shop does not have the Road Force balancer, next model down:frown2: It seems I could get a $70 rebate if I sign up for this deal by Thursday.

Second brand choice would be the same sizes in the Continenal DWS06s. Have not yet asked for an out the door price on those.

Sure looks like the Michelins are the priciest........Have those of you that have gone with Michelins had that kind of $$$ pricing. I know I could go with other brands and save a few hundred......But I'm down to fish or cut bait time. Whaddaya think.:surprise:
"mo" If your SSR is an everyday driver and you're runnin' 65 to 75 MPH most every day, I suggest the Michelins. If you're just an "have fun" local driver go with the Continentals, but regardless which tires you choose "scooter" get a Front End Alignment also. BUT ... if you can get them to "throw in" an alignment, make damn sure you watch and make sure they do it. Sometimes these "freebies" don't get done. I'm like Mike, just my two cents worth. tennesseecozydog :ssr Bob Alexander :smile2:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just put the Continentals DWS's on my '05 Friday. Done at Discount Tire with the 315/35ZR20's on the rear and the 255/40ZR19's on the front. Total price installed with tax, free lifetime balancing and road hazard was just under $1,250.00. Rides sooooo much better now!

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
Just put the Continentals DWS's on my '05 Friday. Done at Discount Tire with the 315/35ZR20's on the rear and the 255/40ZR19's on the front. Total price installed with tax, free lifetime balancing and road hazard was just under $1,250.00. Rides sooooo much better now!
Good price Bubba !!! Bob Alexander alias tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I'm happy to have all this new input. I want to take the advice of Mike as to going with the 255/40 ZR19 fronts.......as I am indeed concerned about "stance" and since my ride is lowered, I'm wanting to maintain that approximate same front to back position.

Price wise, I'm now more focused on just going with the Continentals, but trying to price out costs thru Discount Tire and/or Tire Rack, I failed to get a match on the sizes we have discussed in the Extreme Contact DW series. I am able to find a match on both Tire Rack and Discount Tire with regard to 255/40ZR 19 front and 315/35ZR20 rear in the Extreme Contact DWS06 series. Both on line outfits have the same pricing at $940.90 with what ever taxes/charges beyond that.......which would give me some related info in negotiating locally.

So, the DWS06 version seems to be my likely choice at this time. Never in around 50 years of having to buy tires have I spent this much time/effort trying to get it "right".:smile2:

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,008 Posts

Well,

you can get the same sizes as well as the OEM rear size in Nitto NT555 for under $1000. I had those on my Corvette and my Lexus, great tires. I got 45K on the Lexus and only changed them because I had to have two repaired after running through nails on the freeway, caught a deal at Discount for Yokohamas otherwise would have replaced in kind.. They were great in wet weather too. Discount sells Nittos.
Greg

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,187 Posts
Good spirited discussion....... I love it........ lots of inputs and all credible. Decisions made based on individual needs and personal choices with a little bit of data tossed in for good measure.

Regards all......

Mike

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,375 Posts
Another thing is check date codes. Don't want to install old new tires. Inspect the dates and get the right to refuse them if they are old. Just sayin.

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts

I am able to find a match on both Tire Rack and Discount Tire with regard to 255/40ZR 19 front and 315/35ZR20 rear in the Extreme Contact DWS06 series. Both on line outfits have the same pricing at $940.90 with what ever taxes/charges beyond that.......which would give me some related info in negotiating locally.

So, the DWS06 version seems to be my likely choice at this time. Never in around 50 years of having to buy tires have I spent this much time/effort trying to get it "right".:smile2:
I have the same size combination in DWS06. My truck is lowered 1"/1.6" with Eibach springs. Definitely think the 255s are the better choice.

The DWS06 has a nice aggressive tread pattern, and a better wet traction rating than the DW. Both great tires. Much better tread wear rating than the Nitto Invos (560 vs 220) I had on before, although the Invos had the coolest tread pattern on the market, and were unbelievably sticky.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Last set I couldn't match the correct sizing for the fronts... A Local SSR guy BLUEVOODO found a TREAD CONNECTION in Charlotte that has great prices and the correct sizes. Check your area., I believe he paid $165 each for the fronts... I'll be heading there when I need to replace.

Be sure to Zero-Zero the alignment (Chamber and Toe ) and run fronts at 31 psi cold. Great wear that way.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I have new stock Goodyears installed in July '17 , fronts are dated 11/16 and the rears are 3/17. I will be selling them along with stock satin wheels in April as I installed Continentals with chrome wheels.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts