Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching this forum for replacement Tires recommendations I went online and bought new Toyo Proxes Tires made here in the USA. Toyo Proxes 4 Plus 255/45R-19 and Toyo Proxes ST III 295/40R-20 purchased from Simple Tire for $708. I still had the original Tires on my 06 SSR with 24,000 miles and Dated Fronts were 04 and Rear 05, no signs of dry rot but figured it was time to replace.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Just replaced mine today with the Continental's Extreme 06 DWS
255 40 19 in front
315 35 20 in rear

Looks nice.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
I think you'll like the Continentals, especially the rim protectors. :thumbs

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
After searching this forum for replacement Tires recommendations I went online and bought new Toyo Proxes Tires made here in the USA. Toyo Proxes 4 Plus 255/45R-19 and Toyo Proxes ST III 295/40R-20 purchased from Simple Tire for $708. I still had the original Tires on my 06 SSR with 24,000 miles and Dated Fronts were 04 and Rear 05, no signs of dry rot but figured it was time to replace.
So you put 2 different tread patterns on?:surprise:

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Of course, the front and rear tires have different jobs to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Tires Recommendation (all season option)

Don't see this particular setup recommended on this site yet..but I'm extremely happy:

Front Tires:
255/40ZR-19 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 XL

Rear Tires:
315/35ZR-20 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 XL

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
So you put 2 different tread patterns on?:surprise:
You know, eric, I got Generals on the Front and Nexens on the rear ... 2 different tread patterns. As I have stated on this web site so many times in the past ... I put on what is the least expensive from Buds Tire here in Murfreesboro. They are all round and black and get me from point A to point B. I drive the speed limit and don't street drag, so they do me just fine. I cannot argue with Bud cause the last 2 I bought (for the front) he told me he didn't care if I ever paid him ... so I haven't. Not ONE person or SSRfanatic has ever looked at my :ssr and said "Bob, you got 2 different tread patterns on your SSR" If they did I would just say "they're all round and black" :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
You know, eric, I got Generals on the Front and Nexens on the rear ... 2 different tread patterns. As I have stated on this web site so many times in the past ... I put on what is the least expensive from Buds Tire here in Murfreesboro. They are all round and black and get me from point A to point B. I drive the speed limit and don't street drag, so they do me just fine. I cannot argue with Bud cause the last 2 I bought (for the front) he told me he didn't care if I ever paid him ... so I haven't. Not ONE person or SSRfanatic has ever looked at my :ssr and said "Bob, you got 2 different tread patterns on your SSR" If they did I would just say "they're all round and black" :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: tennesseecozydog :ssr

I always figured anyone who would own a limited production vehicle like the SSR would want to maintain it to a higher standard.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I always figured anyone who would own a limited production vehicle like the SSR would want to maintain it to a higher standard.
Higher standard ??? ... are you callin' us guys that run different tires on the front than we have on the back "substandard" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You know better than that eric. To be honest with you eric when I first got "ours" 9 years ago I was really that "fussy" too. But after 9 years "little" things like that don't bother me any more. A little rock chip or two on the hood or a hairline crack in the front splitter is just part of life of being an everyday or every week driver. Touch it up and go on. Hey New Years Day is 7 months from today... have a great rest of the year and enjoy your SSR. :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

tennesseecozydo :ssr

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
In the day

I run 315-35's on the rear and stock size on the front.

According to the tire size chart the difference in size is less than it is between brands of the same size.

I like the width on the rears.

I remember when I was younger I was lucky to get four tires of any brand on my car. I carried two spares in my '63 tdht as I ran retreads and I never knew when one would alligator in the summer.

The tires are so much better now and also so much more expensive.

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
:yellow::yellow::yellow:

i guess we need to hear eric's reasons why the tread difference from front to back makes a difference. been to a lot of car shows and have never heard an observer say, " did you notice the front and rear treads were different " :surprise:

·
Registered
243 Posts
discretable1, I would think in most cases people have the same tires on the front as the back. I know I have. Now the fact that an SSR has different tire sizes between the front and back may make a difference.
John F.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Higher standard ??? ... are you callin' us guys that run different tires on the front than we have on the back "substandard" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You know better than that eric. To be honest with you eric when I first got "ours" 9 years ago I was really that "fussy" too. But after 9 years "little" things like that don't bother me any more. A little rock chip or two on the hood or a hairline crack in the front splitter is just part of life of being an everyday or every week driver. Touch it up and go on. Hey New Years Day is 7 months from today... have a great rest of the year and enjoy your SSR. :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

tennesseecozydo :ssr
Not substandard, just more picky you know? I guess I have always been fussy about tires. Even when I first started driving I put 4 new matching tires on every car I bought Seemed like the right thing to do I was always told that different tread patterns was not a good idea

1 - 20 of 21 Posts