Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone knows what the value is on the temperature mark on the gauge that is between 210 and 260?
On Thanks giving day my realitives 35 miles away wanted to see my new 05, and like an idiot I waited until 11:00am to get on the worst freeway in Southern California, the 91. It took 2 and a half hours to go 35 miles in bumper to bumper traffic. The gauge normally reads 210 in normal driving, but today stayed at the mark between 210 and 260. I was scared to death that I was going to fry the engine. This is not reasurering in a new truck.
Has anyone ever tested the temp. at this setting? Thanks for any help you can give me......David :ssr

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello batwings05,
If you ever get in that situation where your temp is rising. Turn on your airconditioner. This will send a signal for your radiator fan to turn on and you should see your engine temp go down. Unless your fan is not working.

This advice was giving here and it worked for my going to Austin, TX.

Pretzel~

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,194 Posts
From the 2005 Service Manual

Here's text from a page from the 2005 Service Manual.

You can see that below 226F, there is no fan operation commanded unless the A/C is on.

Pretzel is right, turning on the A/C will bring on the low speed fan any time you are above 185F. This is most effective if you have your A/C fan speed switch to 1.

Turning on the A/C and depressing the "Recirculation" button will bring on the high speed fan any time you are above 185F. I suspect that the high speed fan only comes on when the compressor is running though. I believe I have heard my fan cycling with the A/C compressor, but not actually checked to validate it. That cycling might be unique to the '06.

Anyway, it looks like you are operating "normally" to me.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
overheating

the fan is set to come on at 227 deg.so if its around that midmark your ok.but i do like the other posts suggested turn on the a/c fan switch to 1 and it keep the fan running and get you down towards 210 deg.new engines don't run at the 160-190 temps we grew up with due to emission regulations.plus you have the 05 model that has the updated fan that is supposed to iliminate the overheat/boil over problem the 03-04's had.i updated my 04 to 05 fan and its working great here in bumper to bumper traffic here in honolulu

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not to worry I say

I too was initially concerned with what I preceived to be a hi running temp as well; about 220-230 range. After some discussion and reading on a simular posting, its pretty normal -the 220+ operating temp that is.

Like someone here said, its not like the old days when we wanted to run 160 degree thermo's to achive better perfomance via cooler water temp in the intake manifold. But this engine, like most all newer vehicles must run in the 210+ range for proper emissions control. The LS2 is no exception especially due to the fact that it is all aluminum which runs hotter than a cast iron counterpart anyway.

I would not be concerned with it until the needle goes into the red ---thats why they put it there to begin with.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just do a check to make sure your fan is working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts