Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM press release:

A glimpse of the Chevy SSR almost immediately brings to mind the fun of an American street machine. And a when you think of an American street machine, there's a good chance it's powered by a GM small block V8 engine.

The Chevy SSR will carry on the small block legacy, powered by a new version of the Vortec 5300 V8 engine. This new version of the Vortec 5300 (5.3L/5328cc) features an aluminum block, a first for this engine.

The Vortec 5300 today is used in GM's full-size trucks. The current version features an aluminum cylinder head and a cast iron block. The SSR will be the first vehicle equipped with the aluminum block version of the Vortec 5300.

Testing and calibration of this new version of the engine for use in the Chevy SSR is ongoing. As a result, final horsepower and torque numbers are not yet available. In its applications in full-size pickups and SUVs, the Vortec 5300 produces peak horsepower of 285 @ 5200 rpm with peak torque of 325 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm. These numbers for the full-size truck applications of the engine may vary for the aluminum version used in the SSR.

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS:

Displacement: 5.3L (5328cc)
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
Valve Configuration: Overhead valves (2 valves per cylinder)
Firing Order: 1 - 8 - 7 - 2 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3
Bore x Stroke: 96.01 x 92.00mm
Materials: Block - Cast Aluminum Cylinder Head - Cast Aluminum
Assembly Sites: Romulus, Mich. & St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada

Just as the small block V8 provides a heritage of power, the SSR's transmission is a proven performer. The transmission for the Chevy SSR will be GM's Hydra-Matic 4L60-E an electronically controlled four-speed rear-wheel-drive automatic.

The 4L60-E features automatic overdrive and a torque converter clutch, with a case made of die cast aluminum. It provides smooth and strong power delivery, and is used on a wide variety of powerful GM vehicles including Chevrolet Corvette, TrailBlazer and Camaro.

TRANSMISSION SPECIFICATIONS:

Type: Hydra-Matic 4L60-E (M30)
Four-speed rear-wheel-drive, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive transmission with a torque converter clutch
Gear Ratios: 1st: 3.059
2nd: 1.625
3rd: 1.0
4th: 0.696
Reverse 2.294
Case Material: Die cast aluminum
Assembly Sites: Toledo, Ohio, Romulus, Mich., Ramos, Mexico

J

·
0 Posts
290 hp is only a guess at this point.Those numbers came from the non aluminum heads and they don't have accurate hp ratings yet.I'm dropping a blower,headers,and an exhaust system as soon as I pick it up.I'm trying to get G.M.to cover them under a 100,000 mile warranty as I did with my pickup in '95.Many dealers aren't aware of their ability to add high performance exhaust etc.and still maintain the warranty.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jimmymac said:
290 hp is only a guess at this point.Those numbers came from the non aluminum heads and they don't have accurate hp ratings yet.I'm dropping a blower,headers,and an exhaust system as soon as I pick it up.I'm trying to get G.M.to cover them under a 100,000 mile warranty as I did with my pickup in '95.Many dealers aren't aware of their ability to add high performance exhaust etc.and still maintain the warranty.
Thanks for the info.

You'll have to take some pictures of that setup when you get yours. It's going to be a bad ride. :cheers

Y

·
0 Posts
How did you get them to cover those additions under warranty? Was it the standard GM warranty or an extended one?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Alum Block?

Are we ready for an aluminum block? Early attempts at this seem to have been disappointing, but maybe technology is better now. As much as I want to be the first in town with an SSR, I am a little leary of guinea pigging.

J

·
0 Posts
Yellow_SSR said:
How did you get them to cover those additions under warranty? Was it the standard GM warranty or an extended one?
The warranty was through GMAC and was an extended warranty(100,000 mile).They covered everything but the blower,and the exhaust system which had their own warranty's.

J

·
0 Posts
Re: Alum Block?

nostoc said:
Are we ready for an aluminum block? Early attempts at this seem to have been disappointing, but maybe technology is better now. As much as I want to be the first in town with an SSR, I am a little leary of guinea pigging.
I also was concerned to be the guinea pig but I will get the extended warranty and pre-approve any "additions"(blower,headers,catback exhaust)prior to application.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: Alum Block?

nostoc said:
the camaro ,corvette,and transam LS1 all have all aluminum engines and have has for a few years so the ssr is not going to be a gunie pig for aluminum engines

1 - 11 of 11 Posts