Chevy SSR Forum banner

New wheels coming

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  RickSSR 
#1 ·
Got the cad drawings today for a modified wheel to fit the SSR, and completed the order.

Attached photo is of the 5 stud version - the center pad will be modified to fit a 6 bolt hub. Factory sizes and offsets, and have ordered a new set of tires to be installed before they ship.

Should look pretty good, with a much wider lip on the rears to get back the hot rod look that the factory wheels are missing, and adding drilled/slotted rotors with painted calipers.

Only downside - probably 5 - 6 weeks out on delivery.

Photos when they arrive.

Ray

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
What did you go with, Mike?

Discussion starter · #13 ·
I agree, Danko

Going to a lot of trouble to have a 5 spoke wheel set custom built - no 6 spoke design for me.

The difficulty is making a 5 bolt wheel look good with a 6 bolt hub. I chose to have the wheel redesigned with a 6 bolt hub shaped to match the outline of the spokes so that the bolt holes don't cut through two different depths of material.

I talked to Coddington, but they weren't interested in redoing their hub, or building a 19" wheel. I wanted to stay with stock sizes for a couple of reasons - availability of tires is difficult in 20s and 22s, and in order to maintain rolling diameters, had to go to 35 and 30 profiles, making the wheels very vulnerable to pothole impact damage. Also, the low pro tires are z rated, making for a significant increase in tire wear.

I also didn't want to lose the "hot rod" intent of the SSR by going to 20s front and rear.

The other method chosen by several people on this site is to redo the hubs - weld in and clean the holes, and redrill the hubs to a 5 bolt pattern. Definitely need a very good machinist for this operation.

Ray

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Danko

Too much work to redo the hubs - not my thing. I'd like to be able to return the SSR to stock if I wanted to. New wheels are in process now - photos to come when they arrive - hopefully by late May.

Stay tuned for another interesting concept. Seeing as we have no runflats and no spare, I'm installing a tire pressure monitoring system - more on that when it's done.

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.