Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls. I'm a newbie to the SSR scene so please excuse the ignorance. I picked up my Smokin' Asphalt SSR last week. I went to the dealer to buy an HHR and they made me such a great deal on the SSR I couldn't resist ($16K off sticker on a left over '05)
I've driven a C5 Corvette for the past 7 years (2000 and a 2003) and according to the driver info center I averaged around 21 MPG on both cars. After driving the SSR for a week I'm averaging 13 MPG. I don't "drive it like I stole" it and I realize you don't buy a hot rod for the mileage but I didn't expect it to be quite that low.
Is this kind of normal?
I look forward to getting to know everyone and being a member of the SSR community.
Thanks.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
13- 14 is about what I get , The truck is just too heavy....:banghead

·
Registered
631 Posts
So is my foot...

KySSR said:
13- 14 is about what I get , The truck is just too heavy....:banghead
At least, that's what I've been told. :lol Daily commute to work and back in Phoenix, stop and slow, average 13.5-16.2 mpg. Open road to Laughlin and back at "highway speed" of 65-105 mph, depending, averaged 18.5 mpg. My foot isn't heavy, it's just an automatic reaction to the joy of knowing if I want to do this, the SSR is ready! If I was worried about mileage, I'd "herd" a Prius and wear a disguise! Enjoy, and flaunt it if ya got it!! :jester

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
blueeyes said:
If I was worried about mileage, I'd "herd" a Prius and wear a disguise! Enjoy, and flaunt it if ya got it!! :jester

AMEN:cool

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. Not going to worry about it. I was just curious.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Welcome aboard Ron, I'll be in your neck of the woods tomorrow evening, Kids gotta see Mickey:banghead

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Come on down! The weather is supposed to be fabulous this weekend. You'll have to look out for the 200,000 people that will be here for the races in Daytona. Other than that, NO PROBLEM.
Enjoy!!!!
Ron :eek

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ron said:
Come on down! The weather is supposed to be fabulous this weekend. You'll have to look out for the 200,000 people that will be here for the races in Daytona. Other than that, NO PROBLEM.
Enjoy!!!!
Ron :eek
Welcome aboard ! The SSR is a heavy vehicle at close to 5000 lbs with the driver. Gas mileage is not its strong suit. But it does have a large gas tank and it looks cool wherever she goes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
miles? oh, you mean smiles!

According to my average Mpg reading says I am at 16.9 per gallon...Mostly driving
back and forth from work, so 60% freeway or so...but like was said above, we all sure did not buy this great auto for milage...lol:thumbs

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ron said:
Hi guys and girls. I'm a newbie to the SSR scene so please excuse the ignorance. I picked up my Smokin' Asphalt SSR last week. I went to the dealer to buy an HHR and they made me such a great deal on the SSR I couldn't resist ($16K off sticker on a left over '05)
I've driven a C5 Corvette for the past 7 years (2000 and a 2003) and according to the driver info center I averaged around 21 MPG on both cars. After driving the SSR for a week I'm averaging 13 MPG. I don't "drive it like I stole" it and I realize you don't buy a hot rod for the mileage but I didn't expect it to be quite that low.
Is this kind of normal?
I look forward to getting to know everyone and being a member of the SSR community.
Thanks.
Ron
My 04 has about 14,000 miles and around town and on the freeway, not over 68 mph I average 19.8 miles/gal. When I go to 78 mph I average 19.3 mpg. This good mpg was after my SSR got to be over 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi Ron (and hi everybody who hasn't heard from me in forever) -

I too went from a C5 to an SSR and loved every minute of it! The C5 was cool as hell, but the SSR had this bad-to-the-bone feel...

...unfortunately *my* SSR eventually became a GM buyback and I switched to a new C6 Vette instead, but I miss the SSR immensely and am thinking of switching back!

Wanted to say that my average in the SSR was 14-16MPG with daily commute around the Washington Beltway. Then again, my (18/28 rated) Vette is only getting just above 18 with the same commute. The biggest difference is actually highway, where the Vette will pull 30 to the SSRs 20.

Then again, I never really was terribly disappointed by the MPG in the SSR, it was just too much fun to worry about, as I'm gathering you've found.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
I also came from a C5 Corvette and was shocked at the low MPG I was getting. But its a heavy Truck (4800lbs) vs the Corvette.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
The 04 that I just traded in was getting 17.1 mpg - 22,800 miles - daily driver. No traffic on the way to work, but stop & go all the way home, at least 45 min to 1 hr.

My new 06 started off at 11 mpg, but is now up to 15.1 and still climbing. She has 1900 miles on her now doing the same routine as the 04.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the input. Maybe, when I get more than 400 miles on it, the mileage will get a little better.
You're all correct though, none of us bought them for "economy":nodno
They sure are fun to DRIVE!:thumbs
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Welcome!!

Use the HHR for MPG use the SSR for SPG.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Ron said:
Thanks for all of the input. Maybe, when I get more than 400 miles on it, the mileage will get a little better.
You're all correct though, none of us bought them for "economy":nodno
They sure are fun to DRIVE!:thumbs
Ron
So, DID you get a HHR too???

Me: HHR for rainy/foggy days SSR for all other...

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, I only bought the SSR. I couldn't bring myself to go from a C5 (and an SSR) to an HHR.
I can see the advantages to both but now I'm spoiled. :thumbs
Ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts