Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the Forum and would genuinely appreciate some help from the vast knowledge base within the membership.

We are looking at low mileage 2005 and 2006 SSR's with auto trannys. Will be our first one.

When checking over a vehicle are there key points that could indicate potential problems or potentially good vehicles? Thinking that from experience, you guys may have developed some clues you would be willing to share that might be unique to the SSR.

Any experiences purchasing from a distance using a professional inspection service and commercial covered transport? Anyone purchase from North Freeway Hyundai in Spring, TX and have an experience to share?

My wife wants Slingshot Yellow, so obviously I am in agreement. :smile2:

Thanks in advance for anything you are willing to share.

·
SSR Enthusiast
1,491 Posts
From what I have seen and heard, North Freeway Hyundai has very good reputation around the SSR community.
Additionally, there are typically a couple for sale from current members; IMO that route would be hard to beat.

SSRs for Sale - Chevy SSR Forum

As far as things to look for prior to purchase:
The same rules apply to our SSRs as with any other used vehicle.
Decide the depth of inspection you want (visual/mechanical). Personally, considering the value of purchase, I would check cylinder compression a long with drivability and any potential ECM codes (current or history).
An exception would be the convertible top operation and any potential associated hydraulics. There again, typical rules apply as far as operation, sights, sounds, leaks etc.
Considering the most current SSR is a 2006; tire date codes should be considered. So many of our SSRs look like newer vehicles; I drive mine daily and most can't believe it's a 2005 truck. However, you are considering something 12 to 13 years old. This brings hoses, belts, seals, suspension, gauge operation, etc into play; regardless of miles....again, typical stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Very good advice "8ball" ... SoCADesertRat, now that the 05 & 06 SSR's are anywhere from 13 to 11 years old, Bca8ball's advice is very important. Hope you and your wife find a very nice "yaller" SSR. In the meantime :00000732: :00000732: :00000732: to the world of SSRfanatic's where you will find very valuable information and help !!! tennesseecozydog :ssr ps What ever happened to the "San Diego Chicken" (Ted Gianullis)

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,032 Posts
Bought ours there and they were excellent and easy to deal with. Took a bus there and they picked me up at the bus depot in town and in about an hour I was on the way home 1400 miles smiling all the way. Never regretted it.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,367 Posts
Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you are on the BEST FORUM ever! BUT-----Go to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.
We got our first one from North Freeway 3 years ago--great to deal with. Like others say, one from a member here would probably have most of the upgrades and bugs worked out.

Nick

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Spirited driver!
1,529 Posts
RG is correct about having to get a weight certificate. I bought mine in WA and to do the same. Just needed to go to any public scale to have it done. Do it before you go to DMV and get your smog cert to save yourself an extra trip. If considering one from out of state, have them send you a picture of the emissions label that shows it is CA legal.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Ask for maint records

Welcome to our family:00000732:

Low miles isn't a guarantee of Zero issues.
There are many well maintained Rs out there for sale with under 60,000 that are real good cars because the owners made all the recommended upgrades and have taken very good care of their Rs.
Be sure to check the date on the tires OLD low mileage tires will give you trouble. Check pricing on a new set.
Ask what if any upgrades have been made to the vehicle. There are more than a few Highly recommended upgrades that should be made on all year Rs.
Review the "How to library" there you will see many of the repairs that are common on this vehicle. Consider if you have good mechanical support in your area for this vehicle in your area. Many have never worked on the electrical and other systems of these vehicles.
Read ALL you can so that your going in with open eyes and fully understand what your purchasing.

Best wishes on finding your special R.:wink2:

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
Welcome to the forum @SoCADesertRat from Middle Georgia.

You have definitely come to the right place to find out more than you ever wanted to know about these beautiful trucks.

Hope you find your soulmate soon, can't wait to see pics of your new "taxi" and the Permagrin that comes with it.

Keep us posted!!!

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,426 Posts
WELCOME, SoCADesertRat . . . from Southern Arizona.

Good Luck on your SSR Hunt . . . sounds like you have already settled on the Fastest and Sexiest Color :yellow:.

As for where to buy . . . well maintained and loved SSRs pop up on here fairly often. For the time being, I would be very reluctant to purchase any vehicle from the greater Houston area for obvious reasons.

I believe all SSRs are "50 State Legal" including California . . . I know mine has a sticker under the hood clearly stating that fact.

As for shipping . . . no matter where you find the perfect SSR, pick it up and bring it home. The "get acquainted" road trip will be a very rewarding experience. Fun too.

Good Luck.

! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers !

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
WELCOME, SoCADesertRat . . . from Southern Arizona.

Good Luck on your SSR Hunt . . . sounds like you have already settled on the Fastest and Sexiest Color :yellow:.

As for where to buy . . . well maintained and loved SSRs pop up on here fairly often. For the time being, I would be very reluctant to purchase any vehicle from the greater Houston area for obvious reasons.

I believe all SSRs are "50 State Legal" including California . . . I know mine has a sticker under the hood clearly stating that fact.

As for shipping . . . no matter where you find the perfect SSR, pick it up and bring it home. The "get acquainted" road trip will be a very rewarding experience. Fun too.

Good Luck.

! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers !
The problem is that CA is very picky and will not accept any vehicle that has bee licensed out of state without an inspection to make sure the emission control system has not been modified. That, of course includes, but is not limited to the exhaust system, no matter what the factory sticker says!

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,426 Posts
The problem is that CA is very picky and will not accept any vehicle that has bee licensed out of state without an inspection to make sure the emission control system has not been modified. That, of course includes, but is not limited to the exhaust system, no matter what the factory sticker says!
I understand fully, Dwight.

My point was fairly basic . . . years ago there were Manufacturer's Emissions Standards for 49 states and then a separate set of standards for a vehicle destined for California. Unless an SSR has been altered and/or modified by a previous owner there should be no reason to anticipate a problem with the required DMV inspection.

Arizona also requires a physical inspection of any vehicle being titled and registered for the first time . . . even the Brand New Doophus way back in 2005.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,032 Posts
Some things to ask about.

1. Is the vehicle still for sale?
2. How long have you had it?
3. What is the mileage on the vehicle?
4. The exterior color is Slingshot Yellow, correct?
5. How many previous owners?
6. Is it a non smokers car?
7. Does it have a good CarFax report?
8. No accidents, floods, body damage?
9. Everything works good and it runs good with no apparent problems?
10. Was it serviced properly?
11. Good tires?
12. Steers good, doesn't pull?
13. Good brakes?
14. Any extended warranty?
15. No rips or tears in interior?
16. No paint scratches or dents or nicks or chips?
17. Top goes up and down good?
18. Air conditioning, lights, wipers, all work good?
19. No apparent problems with the car, engine, transmission, rear-end, etc.?
20. Does it have a clear title?
21. Kelly Blue Book lists cars as, FAIR< GOOD<VERY GOOD< and EXCELLENT. Which category best describes this vehicle?
22. Does the CarFax have a buy back guarantee if it is not as advertised?
23. Is an extended warranty available?

What is you very best price for a quick, no trade-in, no hassle deal?

1. Low miles means car sat around a lot.
B. Hard on battery and electrical system.
C. Hard on seals as they get dried out.
D. Carbon and sludge build up in the engine.
E. Fuel tank, lines, and fuel injection can get gummed up.
F. Tire rot.

2. Northern states.
A. Salt problems.
B. Cold storage.

3. Auction cars
A. Cars that move through a lot of auctions are usually problem cars.

4. No warranty.
A. Buying sight unseen.

5. Proper servicing.
A. Even stored cars need servicing.
B. Lube and oil changes need to be done as the fluids get acid in them and break down.
C. Oil should be changed every fall and spring.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Warrior=='06

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I live in San Diego.Bought my 05 Blur from North Freeway in Texas ...no problems with them .
Your welcome to come by and check mine out .Its not for sale

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
I lived in LA for a wee bit contracting as a travel nurse, started out living with friends West side of Lancaster and drove 74 miles a each way, each day. I have always been somewhat taken back with CA's over zealous Laws, which seemed so invasive to the idea and concepts of freedom, however, nice climate and people.

I feel like a broken record...Lol Get 2006, which cumulatively fixed some prior issues, though they are now harder to find. Friend has 2005 and actually I have seen five SSR's that appear to be resident here now. It's difficult to go anywhere without comments, definitely not a cookie cutter truck and although I used to pull a 21' boat (no longer have it) I left the hitch on and that stopped green people making comments of "It's not a real truck."

These are awesome rides, welcome to the group, you will find what you want, might take a little time, I'm still upset I didn't get a manual....*Grin* But my Blue still looks like it rolled off the showroom floor, with some better gear to scare the public....Lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts