Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have added to the "SSR HOW TO LIBRARY".

Been working on some stuff to add and wanted it ready for the Canada Rally in Ontario on the 17/18 & 20th.

1. Headliner Repair
2. ABS Heat Shield Install
3. Door Inside Handle Repair
4. A/C Actuator Calibration
5. SSR Roof

I have more.

Just go to How To Library and click on OneDrive.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Awesome info for the Do it yourself guy!! Thanks everything you do Dick!! Thanks to yourself, Mike and a few others is the reason I decided to purchase my R! I always do my own repairs and researched this site before I purchased last year! And of course it was the best decision I ever made when I sold my vette! So :cheers

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Pleased to announce that Mike is much closer on the pneumatic cylinder replacement for our roof.

Takes special tool with EACH cylinder for install.

I will do a Power Point on the install as soon as it is available.

Our roof is 10 years old, or close and these cylinders will need to be replaced.

Most do already. If your roof has a slight "clunk" at the end of the "open" cycle, it means the pneumatic cylinders have lost some pressure.

Dicktator

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,374 Posts
Pleased to announce that Mike is much closer on the pneumatic cylinder replacement for our roof.

Takes special tool with EACH cylinder for install.

I will do a Power Point on the install as soon as it is available.

Our roof is 10 years old, or close and these cylinders will need to be replaced.

Most do already. If your roof has a slight "clunk" at the end of the "open" cycle, it means the pneumatic cylinders have lost some.

Dicktator
Here's the status of the Roof Strut replacements.

We validated the shipping/installation tool on SSRNoir (Scott Morrison's truck) a couple weeks ago and have sent the prototype tool off for some modifications before producing them.
What we found on the first replaced set is this........ If you open the roof part way and shut off the ignition, the roof should stay open in the balanced position. Most of us know how to do this. When you manually give the roof a nudge toward the stow position (with the ignition still off) it will drop into the storage compartment by itself. If the roof struts are in OK condition, it should NOT hit bottom with a bang. A gentle thud is OK.

Force measurement of Scott's struts showed that one had lost about 20% and the other about 25% of the original strength. His roof now drops gently into the compartment and has a much, much larger "sweet spot" of partially open balance than before.

When I start sending out new struts, It will be a requirement that the tools be returned. I am going to request that the old struts be tossed into the box with the returning installation tools so that I can gather data on the pressure loss across the fleet.

Modification of the prototype tool is supposed to be finished this week and I have the production shop primed for making the actual tools on a short schedule. No promises, but I am expecting to ship out the first four sets of roof struts in July. Dicktator will get the first two sets for his (always excellent) feedback.

Regards,

Mike

·
Super Moderator
13,603 Posts
Thanks Dick - great stuff as usual
Thanks also to Mike for helping to make things easier for us.

For a while I had 2 :ssr
My original 2005 I could "park" the roof mid cycle with no problem.
The first time I tried it with the 2006 I was really surprised when I turned off the key and it went down faster than a Hawaii sunset.
I have to be quite precise when doing this now - it almost has to be balanced perfectly.
Hopefully I don't have to be borrowing the tools anytime soon! :tongue

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mike, I will try to take some pictures and do a power point.

Added today:

A/C Actuator Calibration

Something everyone can do to make sure the A/C Actuator doors are operating correctly.

Dicktator

1 - 13 of 13 Posts