Chevy SSR Forum banner

Nitrogen in tires.

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  revvin kevin 
lloger said:
Don't know if any of you have heard of it yet, but there was an article in our paper a couple of weeks ago about using nitrogen in your tires instead of air. According to the article Nitrogen is drier than air and helps prolong the life of your wheels and tires. It is also denser and does leak out thru the tire as easily. It listed a few places that do it and Costco was one of them. The article said most places charge about $3.00 per tire. I was over at Costco today, so I walked over to the tire dept. and asked how much they would charge to put nitrogen in my tires. He asked what kind of car I had and if I had bought the tires there. I told him I had an SSR and no, I didn't buy my tires there. He said, "OH, you have an SSR. It's kinda slow today so I can get you right in, no charge.

Ive heard of it, i was looking at the new GTO's at the beginning of this year and one dealership had a new GTO with Nitrogen in the tires. They gave me the same reasons as you stated here on the purpose of Nitro in the tires.

That was a new one on me (Nitro in tires)and its the only time ive heard of it besides your thread here tonight.

I've got a question for you? If you have a flat or a low tire and have nothing but air/ or a fix a flat repair kit. Will this hurt the tire? or what will it do to the Nitro in the tire?

Keep us posted on how the tires do as they age.

thanks Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.