Chevy SSR Forum banner

Nitrogen in tires.

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  revvin kevin 
#1 ·
Don't know if any of you have heard of it yet, but there was an article in our paper a couple of weeks ago about using nitrogen in your tires instead of air. According to the article Nitrogen is drier than air and helps prolong the life of your wheels and tires. It is also denser and does leak out thru the tire as easily. It listed a few places that do it and Costco was one of them. The article said most places charge about $3.00 per tire. I was over at Costco today, so I walked over to the tire dept. and asked how much they would charge to put nitrogen in my tires. He asked what kind of car I had and if I had bought the tires there. I told him I had an SSR and no, I didn't buy my tires there. He said, "OH, you have an SSR. It's kinda slow today so I can get you right in, no charge.

#2 ·
lloger said:
Don't know if any of you have heard of it yet, but there was an article in our paper a couple of weeks ago about using nitrogen in your tires instead of air. According to the article Nitrogen is drier than air and helps prolong the life of your wheels and tires. It is also denser and does leak out thru the tire as easily. It listed a few places that do it and Costco was one of them. The article said most places charge about $3.00 per tire. I was over at Costco today, so I walked over to the tire dept. and asked how much they would charge to put nitrogen in my tires. He asked what kind of car I had and if I had bought the tires there. I told him I had an SSR and no, I didn't buy my tires there. He said, "OH, you have an SSR. It's kinda slow today so I can get you right in, no charge.

Ive heard of it, i was looking at the new GTO's at the beginning of this year and one dealership had a new GTO with Nitrogen in the tires. They gave me the same reasons as you stated here on the purpose of Nitro in the tires.

That was a new one on me (Nitro in tires)and its the only time ive heard of it besides your thread here tonight.

I've got a question for you? If you have a flat or a low tire and have nothing but air/ or a fix a flat repair kit. Will this hurt the tire? or what will it do to the Nitro in the tire?

Keep us posted on how the tires do as they age.

thanks Tony

#5 ·
Adding air

I asked the guy at Costco the same question and he said it wouldn't hurt anything to add air. He also mentioned about going up in high altitude and that the nitrogen didn't expand.

#6 ·
Cool

Anyone with open can's of paint, add some nitrogen and that displaces the air so the paint will not skim and go bad. It is used in the food factory in some products to force air out to stop spoilage.

#7 ·
lloger said:
I asked the guy at Costco the same question and he said it wouldn't hurt anything to add air. He also mentioned about going up in high altitude and that the nitrogen didn't expand.

I wouldn't worry about altitude and air in your tires, we did a trip to the highest highway in the USA, to the top of MT Evans, Co. Plus we have been to the lowest highway in the USA, to the bottom of Death Valley. Funny thing, no tire problems. End of test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.