Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By brand new [saturday 17th] 2005 (150 miles)makes a noise when I let the clutch out slowly. Reverse or forward. It sounds like a universal joint. I do speak with a little authority. Went to the dealer on Monday Morning[ nice and early] they looked and listened and looked again and ordered a driveshaft. Nothing yesterday, nothing today and probably nothing tomorrow BECAUSE they say it is on NATIONAL BACKORDER. From the other posts I have read not sure I made the right choice on vehicles. I do love it and so do all the people that put their hands on it looking it over. BUT What do I do about the drive shaft and why is it on all the other cars. Help appreciated. Motordoctor

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I don't know why there would be a shortage of these products at this time. When I had mine changed it took 3 days to get it. What kind of noise is it? Several SSR owners with the clutch have had some minor problems maybe it is that and not the driveshaft. Did you find anything in a search?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Well they just tried 2 more in my truck and there is 2 more just ordered for it that will be here next week... Maybe my 04 is diffrent.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hard to describe the noise. It really sounds like a U joint but only crunches once when you start to move in either direction from a stop. It actually echo's through the tube. If it had some type of noise deadener in the tube you might not hear it. Also just found a leak in the back of the transmission. More problems with this then the old 98 viper I had.

·
Registered
444 Posts
replaced my 05 6speed driveshaft with carbonfiber shaft, problem solved. Steel shafts also fix problem. Pm me and I can give you shop info shipped to your door.

Jim :ssr

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ya know, I see posts like this and think "Dude, whats the big deal, it's just a little noise." Then I look at my checkbook laying on the desk with this months payment made out. Epiphany! I paid TOO DAMN MUCH $$ for this senseless crap! I love my car/truck, don't get me wrong, but shouldn't quality STILL be job 1? I haven't taken mine in for anything, just kind of "put up" with the little nuances of owning an SSR, but damnit, I didn't quibble over the price, they better not quibble over the quality. Heading to the dealer Monday! Time to get it right.

Sorry to vent in your post Motordoc, but you hit a sore nail on the head...

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,113 Posts
Don't give up on it motordoc.

Optimism and persistence are an unbeatable combination. An interview I saw from the Homecoming stated that the average buyer influences 6 others and that the average SSR buyer influences 26 others. GM has a vested interest in keeping their halo product in good favor with the owners.

My way of thinking, is that GM brought this vehicle to production with ~95% of the problems solved. The remaining 5% are their challenge to complete while we are driving them. The easy ones were first, the harder ones are still bugging us.

My black '05 has a HUGE driveshaft tink that started at 1000 miles and continues as I pass the 1800 mile mark. Replacing a driveshaft with a design defect with an identiccal one is not a fix. It is merely selectively looking for the anomaly that works right. When the Warranty cost pain gets too much for them to bear, the priority will get onto the driveshaft. I'm sure there is an engineering investigation going on right now that will have a solution for this some time in the near future.

Regards,

Mike (the persistent optimist)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey Guys,

Mike is right. You need a little persistance. Always remember the SSR is a limited production High Performance vehicle still in it's infancy. I've got the same drive train noise, whirrr, hum, harmonic resonance, whatever you want to call it, and I have spoken to my service advisor and as soon as I feel like giving up the SSR and driving a rental for a week then I'll bring it in. Some service depts. know of this problem, they find solutions on the GMtechlink site and it takes some tinkering.

While I got a ridiculously great deal on mine I still make that check out and as we know it ain't cheap, so perservere, go into it eyes wide open, do your homework here, and like I said realize you're driving a very hip cool head turner of a vehicle still in it's infancy. These problems too shall pass and what lies ahead is miles and miles of open road waiting to be taken rubber side down as fast as you can bare it.

Coz :reddevil

T

·
0 Posts
Best way to fix This GM piece of WORK is to buy a box of matches :reddevil
ps open hood and stand back aftewards :lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the ideas. I know what the problem is. It might eb taken care of with some type of dampening inside the shaft. Some cars use a paper tube inside the shaft or some use foam. I believe the tube is hollow and that give some vibration noise when starting. It is just annoying but I don't believe it is a safety issue at this time. I'll keep hounding the dealer. It has 200 miles on it and making noise. I'll keep all informed. going to the dealer today motordoctor

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just back from the dealer. I looked under the car. The transmission is leaking somewhere where the rear part of the case fits together. We washed it and will check it again next week. I personally looked at the driveshaft. It is an aluminum tube with NOTHING INSIDE to dampen the noise. The "tink" is a vibration being set in the shaft from the initial twist or untwist of the starting motion of the vehicle. I believe if they put some type of deadening material inside the shaft it would eliminate the problem. I DO NOT believe it is a safety issue at this time and will continue to drive the car until they come up with some type of satisfactory fix. The noise is a pain to listen to but right now I'm not worried. AND thanks for all the responses to my problem Motordoctor

·
OP
8,226 Posts
one day

Had the tink in my '05, dealer had shaft delivered and installed in one day, the shafts are out there, your dealer could check with other dealers.
Good Luck

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
Mine was replaced a couple months back. Dealer had to order direct from factory. They weren't available in normal ordering channels. Tell parts guy to look further.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Drive shafts.....

Mark Williams can take care of your problem in fine style.........And if you don't know who he is, then...........Never mind :rolleyes:

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
motordoctor: Two important things that I have found out long ago (check the threads on "driveshaft" going back several months):

1. Neither cardboard nor foam filling solves the problem ( I have personally tried)

2. You have a tailshaft transmission leak caused by a bad batch of driveshaft YOKES. Your dealer must replace the leaking tailshaft seal, the yoke, and the driveshaft. Again, I personally experienced this on my 04.

Jim G

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jim I remember that some older shafts had a cardboard liner inside the shaft and the foam deal I never tried. Heavier material might work. I had the truck on the lift at the dealer. The leak is coming from the top cover of the transmission, where teh shifter is and dripping down. They have to remove the trans, tunnel, shifter and reseal the top cover. I'm not really happy about having my new vehicle taken apart and repaired but I know the game and they can't replace the trans for a bad seal. The rear seal and the yoke look in good shape and do not have any leak at the present time. thanks for the help

·
Registered
28 Posts
Driveshaft

The reason you cant get a driveshaft is because I have them all. on my 3rd.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts