Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a problem with a 2005 6speed SSR with 24,000 miles on it. I just replaced the battery and ground cable about a week ago ( battery was 6 yrs old and not holding a charge ) and I had previously replaced the ignition switch to the newer style about 4 months ago and all has been well until today. I was in line at the local high school, picking up one of my grandkids and shut the truck off in 1st gear while waiting.. When I restarted the truck and let out the clutch, it didn't act like it was in gear and the engine speed didn't change. I depressed the clutch again checked to make sure it was still in gear and still had no response. I glanced at the tach and it was indicating 500 rpm and when I pushed on the throttle pedal it had no affect on rpm or engine sound (top down). I was on a hill and just shut it off ( exhaust sound quit ) and coasted over to the side to get out of everyone's way. After restarting, everything was back to normal and clutch and all indications are normal now. I guess the engine must have died after start but the tach indication and exhaust sound gave me the impression it was running? The transmission was already in gear since it was not rolling while being parked on the hill without the emergency brake being engaged. Since the clutch and transmission are purely mechanical I cannot imagine anything being defective in that regard. When the truck failed to move the first time the engine rpm or sound didn't change when I let the clutch out and that is what made me think it was not in gear but I am pretty sure it was. I have put on about 50 miles since this incident with several starts and all seems normal now.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I have a problem with a 2005 6speed SSR with 24,000 miles on it. I just replaced the battery and ground cable about a week ago and I had previously replaced the ignition switch to the newer style about 4 months ago and all has been well until today. I was in line at the local high school, picking up my Gkid and shut the truck off in 1st gear while waiting.. When I restarted the truck and let out the clutch, it didn't act like it was in gear. I depressed the clutch again and thought it was in gear and tried again and nothing! The throttle pedal was dead but I could hear the exhaust since the top was down and the tach was reading about 500 rpm. I made sure the emergency brake was off and tried again and it would not engage. I coasted to the side of the road and shut it off. Upon restart, everything is back to normal. When I got home I scanned the OBD and found no codes. I can accept the fact that maybe the ECM had a glitch upon start but I am having trouble wrapping my head around how a manual clutch and transmission won't work, irregardless of any electrical faults? Any help would be appreciated and if this has been discussed before, please point me in that direction.

Thanks!
Not real sure what you had going on, but you are correct there is nothing electronically that affected your trans/clutch! They are both 100% manually operated outside of the reverse lockout solenoid. I suspect something triggered "limp" mode in the ECM that affected your throttle operation. I don't know if somehow the ABS could have become armed and prevented vehicle movement - Autoprof is the whiz on this kind of stuff, maybe he'd have some ideas?

·
SSR Believer
911 Posts
@Rbromm, a bad stepper motor can cause any of the R’s gauges to hang. You might want to keep an eye on the tach when you first turn the ignition on to see how smoothly the needle sweeps. @Dragon2U, @Dicktator and some others here are experts if the stepper motors need to be replaced.

Look for "Cluster Removal" in @Dicktator's DIY repair library:

That said, it kind of does sound like the engine may have just died. Must be time for a louder exhaust! :D

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,933 Posts
Your clutch may have quit.

Have you installed the Corvette LS7 Clutch yet?

Most all OEM manual trans clutches has failed and been replaced.

SSR Manual came with 300hp, LESURE clutch, Camaro V6, (2 plates floating in oil).

SSR has 400hp at crank and weights 1800 Pounds more than Camaro V6. But it was on the shelf.

Waysouth6speed, Anne, went thru 5 OEM clutches. Lonnie aka Sinister discovered that Corvette LS7 is off the shelf, plug and play, weights 40lbs less and is rated for 600HP!

Notice Date on Pictures, Jan. 2011

32 Revolver at Lonnie's.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,933 Posts
I see you changed Ignition Switch 4 months ago. Should be ok, BUT.

When you changed Battery it's because you are having problems and I would change Ignition Switch again. You did get ACDelco D1426D? NOT made in China.

EVERYTHING goes thru Ignition switch.
Just had Automatic not shifting, changed Ignition switch, all is good!.

Dicktator

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Your clutch may have quit.

Have you installed the Corvette LS7 Clutch yet?

Most all OEM manual trans clutches has failed and been replaced.

SSR Manual came with 300hp, LESURE clutch, Camaro V6, (2 plates floating in oil).

SSR has 400hp at crank and weights 1800 Pounds more than Camaro V6. But it was on the shelf.

Waysouth6speed, Anne, went thru 5 OEM clutches. Lonnie aka Sinister discovered that Corvette LS7 is off the shelf, plug and play, weights 40lbs less and is rated for 600HP!

Notice Date on Pictures, Jan. 2011

Dicktator

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,933 Posts
Yes, Alex aka Largossr05 had 12,000 miles on his when it went, I gave him a ride home.

Clutch pedal on floor, cab full of Smoke and his transmission didn't shift either.

OK, you have hydraulic clutch, hydraulic line is 3" from header on SSR.

Oil overheats, all SSR have. running DOT 5 or higher to eliminate overheating.

No bleeder either.

Push clutch, nothing happens. Been there, done that!

Or clutch stays on floor and cab fills with "Smoke". Been there, done that!

Ever push Brake Pedal to the floor?? Same thing.

Oh, your clutch is OK, then why ask the question.

Dicktator

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I see you changed Ignition Switch 4 months ago. Should be ok, BUT.

When you changed Battery it's because you are having problems and I would change Ignition Switch again. You did get ACDelco D1426D? NOT made in China.

EVERYTHING goes thru Ignition switch.
Just had Automatic not shifting, changed Ignition switch, all is good!.

Dicktator

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not real sure what you had going on, but you are correct there is nothing electronically that affected your trans/clutch! They are both 100% manually operated outside of the reverse lockout solenoid. I suspect something triggered "limp" mode in the ECM that affected your throttle operation. I don't know if somehow the ABS could have become armed and prevented vehicle movement - Autoprof is the whiz on this kind of stuff, maybe he'd have some ideas?
The engine rpm or sound didn't change at all when I let out the clutch so thinking it was not actually running even though tach said it was.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts