Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
spare tire

Don't look for a JACK EITHER .Remember , we are buying a cheap truck !!!!
GM is haveing to cut corners ,Ha Ha :party

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Cheap Cheap what are furykay a chicken!!!! :lol :lol look behind your seat to make sure you have the pump and filler kit for the flat and always have you cell phone in the truck so you can call Road Side Service.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ghostrider said:
What's up with No spare tire?? Or am I just blind??
GR :cry
No spares and they're not run-flats. I get a flat about once every 2 years, always on new tires, so it's kind of a pain.

But I've just been calling a tow truck the last couple times. But a flat could get very expensive. You'd have to call a flat-bed tower to take it in somewhere.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
It's All Good!!!! Can you say warranty!!!!! Someone posted a great tip. Carry around the Plug kit, We use them all the time when available.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have never bought the extended waranties, but I bought tire and wheel coverage. Two months one flat one new 20 inch. Coverage paid for, 4 years 10 months coverage left. Plug kit at kmart ten bucks. :party

·
Registered
740 Posts
wildcat66 said:
It's All Good!!!! Can you say warranty!!!!! Someone posted a great tip. Carry around the Plug kit, We use them all the time when available.
Have you ever used one? Don't you need to pull the tire off the rim first? :)

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mow that I think about it, it makes sense! 19 on the front 20 on the back, you'd have to carry 2 spares, or an inflatable 19. It's not like most of us are going to use all that bed space, maybe put a spare back there??
I found a plug kit in the "Truckin" magazine.
GR

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's a poor excuse for GM to make...my '99 Mercedes 230 SLK has different size wheels and tires front and back but has a single, compact inflatible spare that could be used either location.

If you have a freeway blowout and end up shreading a tire before you can pull over and stop (yes that has happened to me), a plug and air kit won't due you any good.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket inflatible that might fit?

·
Premium Member
9,325 Posts
Won't work Tahoe,

We've had this discussion several times before - would be interesting to do a search of several older threads for background. Look for input from Freezer, who has been a faithful contact with background from Lansing.

Bottom line, you need the overall diameter of the rear to be the same as original, because the Torsen rear end will be damaged by unequal diameters. The large diameter won't fit the front wheelwell.

The other issue is the very different offsets between front and rear. I've never checked to see if a front wheel would even fit the rear wheelwell without rubbing, but the rear sure won't fit the front - your front fender would be very unhappy.

Ray

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Flassh said:
Won't work Tahoe,

Bottom line, you need the overall diameter of the rear to be the same as original, because the Torsen rear end will be damaged by unequal diameters. The large diameter won't fit the front wheelwell.

Ray

Hey Ray,

How about a SKINNY 20'' spare that could be used on either front or rear. It would match the rear tire diameter to help protect the Torsen and if it was skinny enough, it shouldn't rub the front fender.

We're talking about emergency use only now.......

·
Premium Member
9,325 Posts
One of these days..... - I plan to take the wheels off, and paint the calipers. When I do, I'll see if the front wheel would clear potential obstacles in the rear wheel well. At least that would allow for the possibility of a skinny tire working in the rear well.

Big concern is the 29" diameter tire working in the front well. It would have to be well inside from the fender, and no tight turns!!! - The front fender has less than 29" of clearance at the lip, but gets deeper inside.

Even bigger - where would we find a narrow, 6 bolt wheel, and a narrow 29" diameter tire???

We've tossed this around a bunch, but have never come up with a workable solution.

The upside? - theoretically the 05s with 6 speed could handle a temp spare on the rear - no Torsen rear end.

Can Freezer shed any light on whether the manuals can handle a small spare?

I'll post an answer to whether the front wheel can fit the rear well without rubbing anything when I take my toy apart fairly soon.

Ray

·
Registered
395 Posts
A 17" spare rim off of a TRAILBLAZER will work for a spare, you just have to find a 17" tire that has the same height as the 19" or 20"--- I believe a couple of sizes that are close are 225/65/17=28" 205/70/17=28.3" The stock fronts are 28.0 and the rears are 29.3 :thumbs I hope this helps ? ? ?

·
Registered
579 Posts
GM Should Upgrade to Run Flat Tires

This doesn't help now, but I think that on future SSR's GM should just upgrade to run flats. This will not help with a blowout but it will help with the occasional plug-able hole. AS a matter of fact (and I am not trying to steal the thread) I love the vehicle, but along with the run flats the vehicle should have an outside/inside temperature sensor, tire pressure sensors, remote starter and automatic top up/top down feature from the keyfob. That might also help sales.

Nevertheless, back to the tires. The vehicle should have run flats. The Prowler (The car that started it all off has run flats).

E:seeya

E

·
Registered
213 Posts
runflats

The runflats on my Prowler are rigid and give me an OK ride and a sense of safety if I would get a flat. When they wear out, I will replace with runflats. The Prowler does not have any place to put a spare. Some owners have purchased non-runflats to imporove the ride and use the airpump and plug. I only drive it about 1000 miles in a season. With the SSR as a daily driver, I am thinking that an emergency spare would be a security blanket on an overnight trip. If it would just get me to the nearest tire center, then it would only need to go 50 miles.

S

·
0 Posts
Tire size

I want to get a set of spares for my rig. I was thinking that getting two tires with the outside diameter the same will work. This is just a temp fix so need two rims to fit the lugs, standard tires with the OD the same (front & rear). Think this will work? (Scotch) :party :party

·
Registered
434 Posts
The last SEMA show special I saw on TV showed an ADD-ON run flat monitor system for $400. Now, even if one didn't use run flats a monitoring system would give an early warning heads up, save the tire, save the wheel. :cool

That sounds like a very good idea to me. :thumbs
Now if I can only find the vender. :yesnod

1 - 20 of 29 Posts