Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery died on. my 2004 SSR last week and after replacement the starter will not engage. After the battery died my ignition key locked up in a position so that the key could not be removed and the shifter also locked up. Everything seemed normal before the battery died. . . After the battery was replaced, the ignition key and shifter unlocked but the starter will not engage. Any tips on possible problem or how to troubleshoot ?

·
Tech Support/Research
1,671 Posts
Ensure all connections are tight, including at the starter (a known issue). Low battery voltage will cause the key to remain locked in the ignition cylinder and the shifter solenoid to lock up as well so those were cured by your new battery.

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
Can you post a little more detail? Is the engine turning over at all? If not, can you hear the starter actually spinning? Seems coincidental that your starter would fail or come loose at the same time, but anything’s possible. The more you can tell us about exactly what you’re experiencing the better.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Agree with @snomuncher
Check battery connections, negative one hard to get to and tighten correctly.

You could also attempt to jump with good cables from under hood connections, if if cranks then definitely battery or connections, be sure to check where negative cable connects to car. Follow both leads off negative cable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you post a little more detail? Is the engine turning over at all? If not, can you hear the starter actually spinning? Seems coincidental that your starter would fail or come loose at the same time, but anything’s possible. The more you can tell us about exactly what you’re experiencing the better.
The starter is not attempting to engage and I put a new starter on a couple of years ago while chasing another issue. I have not been able to get under the car yet to check starter connections to be sure they are tight which I doubt. Also replaced ignition switch a couple of years ago. All was good until the battery died. Also had my shop check and clean all the grounds a couple of years ago after hearing about all the ground problems. Just checked all the starter and ignition fuses which appear good.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Check and clean all your grounds and I would get get the battery load tested also before you start changing any parts. I bought a new one once and it had a dead cell. JMO good luck

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't think the battery is fully charged. I had that happen with my motorhome. Installed 2 new chassis batteries and the coach wouldn't start. Put a charger on it for a few hours and problem solved.
John F.

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
The starter is not attempting to engage and I put a new starter on a couple of years ago while chasing another issue. I have not been able to get under the car yet to check starter connections to be sure they are tight which I doubt. Also replaced ignition switch a couple of years ago. All was good until the battery died. Also had my shop check and clean all the grounds a couple of years ago after hearing about all the ground problems. Just checked all the starter and ignition fuses which appear good.
Good info. So when you say "the starter is not attempting to engage", do you mean that when you turn the key to the start position, where the engine should be cranking over, nothing is happening? Or that the starter spins but doesn't turn the engine over? Is there a rapid clicking sound but nothing else happens? Knowing what's happening at that moment is pretty critical to what to do next.

As others have said, you can certainly check your grounds, but if nothing is happening, IOW, when you turn the key to "Run", all of the warning lights come on, but when you turn the key forward to crank it up, nothing happens, I'm with @John F, and @Autoprof, it sounds like the battery may not be fully charged. As @Dicktator reminds us, the ignition switch must have a minimum of 9 volts.

Most stores charge up new batteries but then leave them on the shelf for a time. There's usually enough juice to get a car started, but starting it a few times can drain the battery below what is needed to start it one more time. If it's a short drive home, the battery may not have had enough time to fully charge.

As they suggest, try jumping it to see if a fully-charged battery can turn it over or put it on a charger and let it charge for a few hours and see how it goes.

NOTE: The correct connection for jump starting is under the cover of the red box on the right front fender. The ground is on the alternator mount. You probably knew that though. :)

My $.02. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,532 Posts
Had Fanatic call his R quit at shopping center, I ask about battery, he said had a NEW installed two weeks ago.

Towed back to shop that did install.

Technician had "stripped" threads at NEG. battery "Terminal"!!

Didn't fix it. Alternator won't charge battery and R won't start without 9volts.

Dicktator

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gave up on tracing down the problem and had the vehicle towed to my shop. As it turns out it was just a starter failure which I did not expect due to the fact that it was just replaced less than two years ago. It was an AC Delco that failed - not an aftermarket. I really appreciate all the feedback and tips provided on this site.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,225 Posts
Thanks for the update. SAD that AC Delco parts aren't holding up like in the old days :( :mad:

Nick

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
Thanks for the update. SAD that AC Delco parts aren't holding up like in the old days :( :mad:

Nick
Agreed. ACDelco sells replacement starters in their lower-quality "Professional" line as well as their best-quality OEM line. However I couldn't find anything but remanufactured OEM starters. Not sure which I'd go with. Or maybe choose another brand instead? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
362 Posts
Agreed. ACDelco sells replacement starters in their lower-quality "Professional" line as well as their best-quality OEM line. However I couldn't find anything but remanufactured OEM starters. Not sure which I go with. Or maybe choose another brand instead? :unsure:
Look at this post: What's your opinion?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts