Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an SSR with keys including the ones for hitch, I thought. Wrong key for hitch but right key for type of hitch. I was thinking about going to a locksmith but I thought why not Google it n see what other people have done.
Found a video that says paint the key, insert it in lock and then file off where the paint rubs off. So I painted key with some auto touch up paint I had , n let it dry then inserted key in lock. It rubbed paint off at base of key n it didn’t feel like it went in all the way so I filed where paint rubbed off n reinserted it. I did this like 10 times in about an hour n WAALAA the turned n hitch came off. Needless to say this might not be for everyone or u may not want to spend an hour fiddling with something that will not have the results u wanted, but what the heck I’m retired n have more time than money n I was just curious to see if would really work. Still don’t believe it did!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Ssrjeff56; I see you are listed as from Salem, Wis. My son Jim lived there for about 7 years. He bar tended a restaurant up there for
years while teaching at school. Small world. If you ever come down NW Chicago (Roselle) let me know and we'll meet up. You may
want to spray some WD-40 and work the lock back and forth then spray graphite into it to keep it free. Just a thought. Good luck
with your vehicle. LAZYONE

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions. We don’t get down that way much but if we do we’ll keep u in mind. Same goes here if ur up this way let us know.
Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts