Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All. I’m hearing a noise in my dash (2004) near passenger airbag or glove box area.
Sound kinda like ticking only heaver.
Any ideas?

·
2,421 Posts
Sounds like actuator door. It’s a big job if it is. Go to the how to library and see if there is more info.

·
John and Suzie
390 Posts
Sounds like a gear broke a tooth in one of your Vent Drives. I have the same issue and the dealer wanted a TON of money in labor to fix it...Dictator has something on it in the one drive....Mine is still there, can.t get under the dash anymore so I just turn up the radio.

·
Have SSR...will travel!!
1,237 Posts
The same sound started in my R about 2 months ago!

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,918 Posts
Could also be debris or leaves in the fan. They fall down through the cowl vent and get in the fan. That's easy to remove and clean out and worth a shot. Go to Dicktators DIY library, there are instructions for removing the fan. If you find junk in there you may consider removing the vent cowl cover (under the wipers and gluing screening under the drain openings to prevent debris from getting in there. Mine was full of leaves and the unbalanced cage fan would vibrate and rattle. Cleaned it out and no more noise.
There is no Cabin air filter on the SSR to prevent this.

·
Have SSR...will travel!!
1,237 Posts
fan on low stops the tickiing
Thanks for the tip. It gets on my nerves a little and getting ready for my 19+ hours to Daytona in a couple of weeks!!!

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Sounds like actuator door. It’s a big job if it is. Go to the how to library and see if there is more info.
If you can make the noise stop with the recirc button it's likely the actuator door. If so, it is a bear to get to and replace as others have said.

My mechanic was able to reach up under and flip the door with a long handle screwdriver he said. I am now permanently on recirc. No more annoying click though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts