Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took the wife down to test drive an 05 SSR. lots of power, very nice. The big complaint from the wife was the amount of roadnoise with the top up. She said that it sounds like an air leak. To me, it sounded like noise from the area where the top goes. is this noise normal??

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Grumpy....Yes, the noise you hear with the top up is normal, and yes it does come from the top storage compartment. It acts like a sound chamber for the road noise. Our engineer friends at GM failed to close off the compartment when the top goes up on acount of the roof hinges. It is much quieter with the top down, although the fun of driving it will make up for the noise when the top is up. It also diminishes as you get used to it. We here on the forum are trying to find a workable solution to the peoblem.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would some insulation in that area work?? probably too hard to get there ..

·
Registered
131 Posts
grumpy said:
would some insulation in that area work?? probably too hard to get there ..
The best solution is to use two small pillows and stuff them in the holes. I installed $150.00 worth of sound deadening material and lined the top compartment and it didn't change at all. I also got the WindsuppreSSR and with it and the pillows, "Look out Cadillac" it is now very quiet.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
WindsuppreSSR helps cure noise problem

fiftiesnut said:
The best solution is to use two small pillows and stuff them in the holes. I installed $150.00 worth of sound deadening material and lined the top compartment and it didn't change at all. I also got the WindsuppreSSR and with it and the pillows, "Look out Cadillac" it is now very quiet.
Your absolutely right fiftiesnut the WindsuppreSSR really helps as a noise block with the top up. I would guess at least 50% quieter. I didn't think about putting a couple pillows behind it but I can see where that would add even more noise suppression Hmm? WindsuppreSSR/NoisesuppreSSR. Maybe a custon made sound deadning mat that fits behind the WindsuppreSSR for use with the top up? What do you think guys worth the effort of my looking into?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes indead, a noise mat could simply be made like a dash cover but stiffen the area over the openings for the top mechanism. Velour would be great. I really don't care for the carpet look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts