Chevy SSR Forum banner

Noise with top up!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  houtex 
#1 ·
I've had my New SSR for less then 2 weeks, and love it. I do have a concern or two. I have the tinking sound from the drive shaft when in reverse. I'll keep an eye on it. The other is the noise when the top is up, Most noticable on the freeway
Its not the side windows, but if I had to guess, there is a wind leak from perhaps where the top gos when its down, in that space.Something is not sealed good.
Have any of you had this problem? Im almost afraid to take it to a dealer, in fear they may make it worse, but it must be fixed at some point. Oh its more of a wosh sound then a whistle if that helps.
thanks!! :skep

#2 ·
whoosh

I know what you're talking about. I hear it more on the passenger side, especially on the rare occasions I ride there. Sounds almost like the window isn't all the way up. Unfortunately, that is "normal" Chevy knows of it, I believe it is a function of the top shape. A concession to style over wind tunnel. After 30 years of convertible ownership, I'ver never had one that didn't have more wind noise.

#3 · (Edited)
Roof Wind noise

There is some minor wind noise in my SSR but that is very liveable to me.

However, I too experienced once a loud wind noise. It happened when I was traveling down the 403 in Canada when I was on my way to the Woodward Dream Cruise events. My friend BIG JIM said to me wow this wind noise is loud! I told him that the wind noise is way loader than I remembered it ever being... he agreed so we slowed down at an exit and he opened and closed the door but the same noise persisted. I told him to lower the window and then raise it back up. BINGO! The loud wind noise completely stopped!

So what must have happened to us was the molding on the roof must have rolled up and under when the window had raised to the closed position. Going around 75 to 80 mph there was certainly enough wind pressure to cause a real bad wind leak/ noise.

Ps that loud wind noise hasn't happened to me again... however, I still have experienced that molding rolling up on me from time to time and I have to re-open the door and close it again to get it to go up/ seal properly. I will have to go to the dealers to get the window reprogrammed so it will not do that anymore.

#4 ·
Marc,

I noticed the molding was rolled under on m passenger door over the weekend and I'm sure it only happened recently? I held the molding out with my finger while closing the door and it didn't roll under. I left it that way over night and it seems fine, but I'll keep a close watch on it.

#5 ·
Marc NY said:
Ps that loud wind noise hasn't happened to me again... however, I still have experienced that molding rolling up on me from time to time and I have to re-open the door and close it again to get it to go up/ seal properly. I will have to go to the dealers to get the window reprogrammed so it will not do that anymore.

Just tell them to align the window inside the door panel - I've had both doors adjusted - no problem since. Also - they need to allow for the pressure that the door panel puts on the mechanism. If they QC the repair job before they replace the panel - the problem returns when the panel is replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.